C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

what kind of distributor

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2002, 12:09 PM
64BB
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what kind of distributor

i am running a BB with an accel dual point mechanical advance. i want to experiment with a single point vacuum advance to see what difference it makes, but i do not want to spent lots of money for a distributor. if i go to a junkyard, what kind of distributor can i use?? did gm use the same delco in several years of BB's and in several diffferent cars, and if so, what are they?? [i really do not want to spend $295 for a distributor}
Old 05-09-2002, 12:27 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,188 Posts

Default Re: what kind of distributor (64BB)

I assume you'll want a tach drive distributor, so any tach drive single point will work as far as I know. I ran a L-88 TI in my SHP SWC for several years and the dist. fit, but I did swap the drive gear to the one from my original dist. and set up the vacuum and centrifugal to '65 SHP/FI specs.

Duke
Old 05-09-2002, 01:27 PM
StrayDog
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

What worked for me & my 427 is the MSD pro billet mech tach drive dist..it has vac advance & a nice complete bolt in & forget it system......instantanious starting & powerfull spark... converted 6 years ago ....again wokked for me.... :seeya :flag
Old 05-09-2002, 04:16 PM
64BB
Racer

Default Re: what kind of distributor (StrayDog)

thanks to both, but my question was not clear. if all i want is a temporary distributor for an experiment, what can i buy in the junkyard. ie any 1960's gm single point vacuum from a v-8, or do i have to stick to a corvette or a 427 chevelle etc???? [tach gear does not matter; this is temporary only]

thanks again.
Old 05-09-2002, 11:27 PM
Vetterodder
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Any point type from any chev V8 except one from a 348/409 or a tall deck (big truck) BB should fit. What sort of experiment?
Old 05-10-2002, 11:20 AM
64BB
Racer

Default Re: what kind of distributor (Vetterodder)

experiment may be an overstatement. i am going to replace the dual point mechanical advance with a single point vacuum advance. then, if i don't make any other significant changes, i want to see the effect on low and mid range performance and on fuel milage. i'll keep the dual point for the track [but that will never happen]
also, thanks to everyone that responded.
Old 05-10-2002, 01:33 PM
INMYBLOOD
Le Mans Master

Location: The problem is all inside your head she said to me.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try an find someone near you. A friend with a hot rod or something. Ask to borrow their working unit. A old junk one might not be worth the effort. I went from a old single point distributor to a MSD billet and would never consider using points again. It runs smooth and no replacing points. They are very tuneable and worth the cost. IMHO
Old 05-10-2002, 08:09 PM
Milehigh66
Pro

64BB,
Lars has one in his loaner program that is not out right now, I know because he had it my place last weekend. It is a single point tach drive dist.. he loans out carbs and dist. for just this thing, so people can try different things to see which works best for them. you just have to pay for shipping both ways and make sure that you return it in working order. You can contact him a v8fastcars@msn.com

Hope this is what you are looking for.

Kurt :cheers:
Old 05-11-2002, 01:31 PM
64BB
Racer

Default Re: what kind of distributor (Milehigh66)

thanks to everyone for the advice. don't see how anyone could really own one of these cars without the help of board members.
Old 05-11-2002, 08:07 PM
Vetterodder
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

thanks to everyone for the advice. don't see how anyone could really own one of these cars without the help of board members.
64BB, it's possible ... but just not as easy (or as easy on the pocket) :).

Get notified of new replies

To what kind of distributor

Quick Reply: what kind of distributor