C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Collector Car Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 05:09 AM
ffas23
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Collector Car Insurance

Just wondering if anyone on this forum is insured with Grundy Worldwide Collector Car insurance. Reason for asking is that I most recently found out that Grundy was bought out. I received my new Collector Car Insurance bill from Grundy in the last week of November 2011 for my new 2012 policy that runs from January to January. I wanted to make some adjustments as to agreed value but for the life of me I can't get in touch with anyone at Grundy to help me. I called the last week of November and was told an underwriter would get back to me. Since then I called and left messages twice this month and no one gets back to me. This is very disturbing to me being my Collector Car Insurance is due in a little over a week on January 2nd and I am getting no where. Seriously thinking of getting quotes from other Collector Car Insurance company's now. Your Thoughts?
Old 12-22-2011, 06:21 AM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

Call Adam Boca at the NCM and get a quote from him. I think you will find there price is about the best out there.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:42 AM
rtone
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Send me a PM with your contact information and I will have someone from my company get in touch with you. We can offer you many choices, we have many companies that will do you a nice job on classics. In fact, I believe we can offer you Grundy and may be in a position to service your current policy. I suggest that you also get a quote from us using Hagerty Insurance. I have mine insured by them and have found the coverages are about the best available.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:55 AM
wolfman64
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 181 Posts
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

ffas,

My policy with Hagerty expired today. I started looking around last month, did some research, and ended up chosing a Chubb Collector Car policy. Chubb has a very extensive line of high end insurance policies for everything from cars, boats, jewelry and homes. I bought it through my local agent that provides my home and business insurance....and saved about 30% from the Hagerty policy. Check it out.

Wolfman
Old 12-22-2011, 10:43 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Tried, but failed, with Grundy this week

I tried to get a quote from Grundy on Tuesday but their on-line site would not work. I reported the error and received this note in response this morning. The Bold text is my emphasis. Seems they are willing to insure ALL, or NONE of my cars at this time.

"Because of a recent change in administrative responsibilities of our collector vehicle program, our office cannot provide insurance quotes for collector car policies at this time.

However, we do offer a new policy through the Motor Vehicle Program that offers Agreed Value coverage on all of your motor vehicles, including your collector cars, daily drivers, services vehicles and more.

To receive a quote for our MVP program we need the year, make, model and value of all your motorized vehicles along with all household operator information.

If you have any additional questions or concerns please let me know.

Thank You,

Grundy Insurance"
Old 12-22-2011, 11:36 AM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by 62Jeff

To receive a quote for our MVP program we need the year, make, model and value of all your motorized vehicles along with all household operator information.

Grundy Insurance"

Sounds like you have to insure everyone in the house on every car in order to get coverage. That's just plain stupid.

Jim
Old 12-22-2011, 11:56 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I don't know why people won't take my advice and go with:
http://www.americancollectors.com/.

Cheaper than anybody even NCM by $75, agreed upon value, no mileage restrictions and they paid a $2,700 windshield claim on my '61 without batting an eye and never went up on the premium.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:25 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink

Cheaper than anybody even NCM by $75, agreed upon value, no mileage restrictions and they paid a $2,700 windshield claim on my '61 without batting an eye and never went up on the premium.
I checked with them on the new car, they are $600 a year higher than NCM,and that's with a mileage restriction.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:15 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
I checked with them on the new car, they are $600 a year higher than NCM,and that's with a mileage restriction.
Really!

Maybe I'm "grandfathered" in or something since I've been with them since they were the old "American Hobbyist Insurance Co.". Guess I'll quit touting them now.

I'm paying IIRC $334 annually with $55K or $60K agreed upon value (I don't remember which right now) with no restrictions on "pleasure driving"...

Of course I'm not 'tooling around' in a late model Aston Martin either!

FTF

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 12-22-2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:19 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Really!

Maybe I'm "grandfathered" in or something since I've been with them since they were the old "American Hobbyist Insurance Co.". Guess I'll quit touting them now. ...
I wouldn't go that far, my car may be atypical. But still, Adam Boca at the NCM got me a much cheaper deal with equivalent coverage.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:23 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

I just got a quote from them. They are $351 a year higher than I pay with Midwest Classic Insurance on my 2 Corvettes for the EXACT coverage.

Jim
Old 12-22-2011, 01:28 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Well then I'm certainly confused.

I just looked up my declaration page online and I'm paying $334 for $56K agreed upon value...just renewed with them last August. It even covers $500 in spare parts and has "Roadguard" protection.

Maybe I'll get a premium "surprise" next year !!

What deductible are you guys looking at....mine is $1,000 per my choice ?
Old 12-22-2011, 01:30 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

I was going with $500.

I reran with $1000 and it's $400/year higher than NCM.

Last edited by 62Jeff; 12-22-2011 at 01:34 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:41 PM
Adam Boca
Race Director

Location: www.ncminsurance.com Bowling Green KY Home of the Corvette!
Received 126 Likes on 66 Posts
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
St. Jude Donor '07-'08
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Thanks for all the positive posts with us! We would love to be able to provide you with a quote for your collector car insurance. We are the only insurance supporting vendor of this forum. You will not find another insurance agency that knows Corvettes better than we do, we are the National Corvette Museum. You will also find that we take care of our customers, we believe in fast response!

Please check out our website at www.ncminsurance.com.

Thanks!!

Adam Boca
Old 12-22-2011, 01:42 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Well then I'm certainly confused.

I just looked up my declaration page online and I'm paying $334 for $56K agreed upon value...just renewed with them last August. It even covers $500 in spare parts and has "Roadguard" protection.

Maybe I'll get a premium "surprise" next year !!

I have $0 deductible and mine has towing as well.

Jim
Old 12-22-2011, 02:22 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Didn't mean to imply NCM insurance isn't top notch....its just, for some inexplicable reason, I seem to be grandfathered in to a pretty sweet deal already. I've checked with Adam in the past for insurance and will be glad to do so again if the need arises!

In any event it seems the empirical evidence is that new policies by my company are more expensive since it changed hands...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 12-22-2011 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:41 PM
ffas23
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Boca
Thanks for all the positive posts with us! We would love to be able to provide you with a quote for your collector car insurance. We are the only insurance supporting vendor of this forum. You will not find another insurance agency that knows Corvettes better than we do, we are the National Corvette Museum. You will also find that we take care of our customers, we believe in fast response!

Please check out our website at www.ncminsurance.com.

Thanks!!

Adam Boca
Tried to reach Adam today by phone but he is off for the Christmas Holidays until next Tuesday the 27th. I am trying to hold off until then being I only have until Jan 2 to get my premium in to Grundy as it now stands since I wasn't able to speak to a underwriter at Grundy as of yet to possibly adjust agreeable value on a few cars. Don't get me wrong I never had a problem with Grundy ever before as I have been with them since 2005. Before that I was insured with American Collectors since 1984 with no claims either.

Well this afternoon I called American Collectors and nothing has changed with them. My 8 car Collector Policy would be more expensive with them at over 200 dollars a year more and for lesser coverage. They want to charge me for 100/comp and 100/Collision on 7 of my Cars but on my 8th car my Street Rod they will only give me 500/comp and 500/Collision. Grundy has a 0 Deductible for both Collision and Comprehensive on all of my 8 cars which includes my Street Rod. This is the dilema I had when I left American Collectors 7 years ago. There was something I didn't like about them when insuring my Street Rod. I guess nothing changed there. Grundy is giving me 100,000/500,00 Bodily Injury and Property Damage coverage compared to 100,000/300,000 from American Collectors. American Collectors also has a 2500 mile limited mileage policy still. Grundy is unlimited so Grundy is still the better deal for me. Spoke to one more customer service person this afternoon at Grundy and he tells me the reason for the problems they are having right now is because of the buyout of Grundy Worldwide from Grundy. He told me it will take them awhile to sort things out. Right now it looks like I may stay with Grundy unless Adam has a better deal come next Tuesday for me.

Last edited by ffas23; 12-23-2011 at 01:32 AM. Reason: Spelling

Get notified of new replies

To Collector Car Insurance

Old 12-22-2011, 04:00 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

I have five old cars I insure with State Farm Collector Car policy. Agreed coverage.

I haven't seen anyone beat their quote but NCM is very close. Check with your State Farm agent and see what the policies cost if you bundle homeowners, car and collector car insurance together plus numerous discounts for policy longevity, good driving record, etc.

If I leave State Farm, I'm going to NCM.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:18 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

The discusion on collector car insurance always is mostly about the price. There are a number of good companies, but you must do your homework first to make a proper comparison.

1) What is the collision deductible

2) Can the car be repaired at the shop of your choice even if its hourly rate is more expensive

3) What is the liability coverage, UIM coverage, Medical, etc.

4) Is it truly agreed insurance, or stated value (majors that claim agreed might discount due to wear and tear)

5) What is the stated usage

6) Where is it garaged

7) Do other drivers records in the family affect the cost

8) How easy is it to file a claim

9) How fast are claims paid.

Again, don't just look at cost and assume that all policies have the same coverage and terms - THEY DON'T
Old 12-22-2011, 09:34 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This isn't the first forum post on recent Grundy customer service problems. I've been using them for years, but never had to make any claims. Strange the earlier mention of Chubb, as actually who was underwriting Grundy til' about 05'. Been PHLY Philadelphia Indemnity since, claim #800-338-4005, and haven't noticed much difference so far. Keeping an eye on this, as Grundy is now offering plans for daily cars, and been tossing this idea around lately.

Quick Reply: Collector Car Insurance