C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Tips on a 67 Temp. Guage

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2002, 07:02 PM
steinboy56
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips on a 67 Temp. Guage

My temperature guage in my 67 goes to about 130 degrees and stops. Is it possible that is an accurate reading? In what order should I start checking and replacing? Thanks.
Old 05-09-2002, 07:19 PM

Default Re: Tips on a 67 Temp. Guage (steinboy56)

Hi Mark,

I emailed you a gauge trouble shooting guide. See if it helps. It's pretty short, but has some good information.

David.
Old 05-10-2002, 12:34 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: Tips on a 67 Temp. Guage (67gilmore)

Simple. Remove the wire to the sender.(green) Turn on the key. Look at the guage, it should deflect fully one way. Ground the wire and recheck the guage, it should deflect all the way to the other side. If this works it is the sender if not the wires or the guage.
Old 05-10-2002, 01:01 AM
62fuelie
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Tips on a 67 Temp. Guage (wombvette)

Wombvette is right on the money. Ground the gauge sending wire momentarily to avoid possible damage. If you can lay hands on an IR thermometer, check the temp at the base of the thermostat housing. That should give you a reading within a few degrees of actual coolant temp. That will give you something to work with. In the case of a low reading, be sure the sender is not installed with teflon tape of pipe sealer which will insulate the sender body from ground. This will produce an artifical low reading.

Get notified of new replies

To Tips on a 67 Temp. Guage

Quick Reply: Tips on a 67 Temp. Guage