C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] 1965 vert top

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 11:21 AM
Harry's 81 C3
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default 1965 vert top

I am needing to replace my convertible top and don't know which product to buy. ANY HELP
Old 08-03-2018, 12:24 PM
TCKT B8
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 & '11

I installed an Al Knoch top on my 65. Can't say it was easy, but I followed his installation video and with a little help from my 17 year old grandson we got it done. I'm slow so it took me about a week of doing a little every day. Key is to properly align the frame BEFORE you start the installation, accurately make all required measurements and make sure you put the staples in the correct position .

Last edited by TCKT B8; 08-03-2018 at 12:25 PM.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:58 PM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by Harry's 65 C2
I am needing to replace my convertible top and don't know which product to buy. ANY HELP
Al Knoch or Key tops.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:02 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

What color and what material are you looking for?
Old 08-03-2018, 10:30 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by woodsdesign
Al Knoch or Key tops.
Are there two Al Knoch's because the one that I know ,every time in recent years that I have given his tops a chance they are junk . Always cut too short and I don't just mean needing stretched . They are always cut too short . Buy a Robbin's top and they will always fit perfect and won't have bunched up material where the bindings are sewed on which they often do on Knoch tops . And he never stands behind his tops .

Old 08-04-2018, 12:33 AM
Harry's 81 C3
Pro

Default 65 Convertible Vette

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
What color and what material are you looking for?
Appreciate the responses fellas.... There's a fella here in Austin, by Austin Corvette off Lamar that has been in business since 76 and I'm looking at him for installation, but like he said, he can't compete with the net on prices...
but, I'm looking for a Black top...
Material; I don't know, other than a good quality top,

Old 08-04-2018, 12:35 AM
Tmichaelson
Pro

Received 211 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by bj1k
Are there two Al Knoch's because the one that I know ,every time in recent years that I have given his tops a chance they are junk . Always cut too short and I don't just mean needing stretched . They are always cut too short . Buy a Robbin's top and they will always fit perfect and won't have bunched up material where the bindings are sewed on which they often do on Knoch tops . And he never stands behind his tops .
Thanks Harry’s 65 C2 for the very timely thread. Just days away myself from ordering a new top for my ‘66. Was highly considering a Al Knoch top BUT now with responses as above I’m getting SCARED. I’m sure both of us would greatly appreciate more responses from all others on their experiences and recommendations on their soft top brand, quality, fit, etc.
Old 08-04-2018, 03:49 AM
TCKT B8
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 & '11

The Al Knoch top I installed on my 65 actually was short and stretching didn't get a fit that satisfied me so I ended up using a double gasket on the part of the top that contacts the back deck. Looks good, but I forgot I had to do that.
Old 08-04-2018, 06:56 AM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

I know what you mean about them being too short. I believe they went through a period where they were making them to fit tighter. However, a top in the box will shrink over time so I always recommend having one made when you order. I have had to stretch the crap out of some tops. However, it is better tight then loose. A customer will not put up with wrinkles.
I have learned that the installer is always the one blamed if it doesn't fit right. I have also had trouble with AK but they eventually owned up and replaced it. But, I am still out the labor for installation and removal or the defective top. Believe it or not the top I'm referring to was way too large. I have not had a problem with "bunched up material"
All that being said, I have not, to my knowledge, had the pleasure of installing a Robbin's top. I will have to give them a try. I believe they were the original manufacture for Vert tops.

Last edited by woodsdesign; 08-04-2018 at 06:57 AM.
Old 08-04-2018, 01:40 PM
Harry's 81 C3
Pro

I'm appreciating all of the responses, as I do not want to spend roughly $1K or more and have nothing more than what I have today.... Thanks Members who are giving their feed back
Old 08-04-2018, 02:19 PM
vark_wso
Drifting

Received 347 Likes on 241 Posts

I installed a black stay-fast canvas top on my '66 two years ago -- with lots of email & phone help from Larry Woods. Purchased from Kee Auto Top Mfg Co in Charlotte NC. Last week, another Forum member & myself finished installing a white AK vinyl top on his '67; again with tips from Larry. My observations are based on a total experience lever of "2" ...

The AK vinyl fit nicely & was easier to handle during install than the black stay-fast. The vinyl responded readily to the heat gun & portable fabric steamer, while the stay-fast canvas did not. The black Kee stay-fast top has a nice, rich fabric look, but was more difficult to install. It is heavier, tough on the hands & fingernails, more unforgiving when fitting to rear bow and 'sails' behind the window. Cleaning & maintaining stay-fast is a bit of a chore, as our home-place is among the Ponderosa pines with their considerable pollen. I use a lint-roller regularly & a shop vac maybe once a month with a brush reserved for the convertible top only. The color & finish of stay-fast black canvas is more attractive than that of black vinyl (my opinion).

The following users liked this post:
1snake (08-04-2018)
Old 08-04-2018, 02:46 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by Tmichaelson

Thanks Harry’s 65 C2 for the very timely thread. Just days away myself from ordering a new top for my ‘66. Was highly considering a Al Knoch top BUT now with responses as above I’m getting SCARED. I’m sure both of us would greatly appreciate more responses from all others on their experiences and recommendations on their soft top brand, quality, fit, etc.

To get extra material in the Al Knoch top for a better fit, I believe you need to ask for the Kennedy cut or Kennedy pattern. Named after NCRS upholstery and interior consultant John Kennedy. He died about 5-10 years ago.

Larry

Last edited by Powershift; 08-04-2018 at 02:48 PM.
Old 08-04-2018, 03:04 PM
Mike Geary
Melting Slicks

Received 220 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Powershift
To get extra material in the Al Knoch top for a better fit, I believe you need to ask for the Kennedy cut or Kennedy pattern. Named after NCRS upholstery and interior consultant John Kennedy. He died about 5-10 years ago.

Larry
This came up when I was researching which top to buy 10 years ago. From what I was able to learn, John Kennedy from Utah developed some changes to Al's pattern to ease installation and improve the fit/appearance. Became known as the "Kennedy Pattern" in NCRS discussions. Generally, my understanding is that extra material was added in several spots. At that time, you just needed to ask for the Kennedy pattern when ordering from Knoch.

I ended up going with Robbins to get the "buckskin" color (not "tan") that I wanted. My installer had no troubles getting it to fit, and it has held up very well.

Get notified of new replies

To 1965 vert top

Quick Reply: [C2] 1965 vert top