C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] 58 - Electrical issue - any guess?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 05:29 AM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 65 Posts

Default 58 - Electrical issue - any guess?

Early Friday morning, I go to pull the corvette (1958) out of the garage so that I can clean it up....the garage that is. I figured since I had it out, I'd just drive it around the block...all is good. I get back home, park it on the driveway and there it sits until about 10pm. I go to pull the car back into the garage...turn the key and I get one "click" as if the starter god a 1-second pulse and then nothing. The same kind of symptom when the connection to the battery isn't good.

I have the driver's door slightly ajar cause I'm just going to pull it in about 10 feet and so the courtesy light is on. Each time I turn the key to start the car the light goes out...like it's a dead battery and the starter is taking all the current.
While it is sitting, I try the headlights...nothing....they don't come on....yet again the courtesy light is on.
I tried to jump the car.....and tried starting it again...nothing....mind you the jumper cables were on the battery cables (starter and ground - not just on the batter).
I remove the jumper cables going to my truck to jump I it and tapped them together...and got a petty good spark....did this a few times....so it doesn't seem like it's the battery.
I haven't dived into the schematic as it's late...in the meantime, thought I'd throw this problem out to anyone interested.
Suckie thing is all this tonight (Saturday) i'm having a big reveal party....and I can't get the thing started???? Of all the times for this.
Old 08-04-2018, 05:41 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Put a multimeter across the battery - it should read 12.6V or so....leave it on while cranking....if the voltage doesn't drop to about 8V-9V you have a bad connection or corrosion somewhere; if it drops lower your battery may have a defective cell.

There is a large copper "washer" behind the large screw on the starter solenoid and sometimes they get crapped up or worn....an old trick is to remove the solenoid and "flip" the washer around to provide a new contact area and then reinstall the solenoid.

If THAT doesn't get it going you could have a defective starter "drive"...this is what engages the starter into the flywheel...

Part #2 in this picture...they can be bought separately...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 08-04-2018 at 05:47 AM.
Old 08-04-2018, 06:21 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

You have a battery issue. Bad battery or connection at the battery or ground. I bet if yiu disconnect the battery and jump to the cables it will start. 90 per cent chance bad battery.. Any chance you left the key on all day and the battery is so weak it won't even jump because it's using too much of the jump battery to try to recharge itself?
Old 08-04-2018, 08:21 AM
ejboyd5
Drifting

Received 326 Likes on 189 Posts

That battery is so low that it is preventing the power supplied through the jumper cables from doing its job. Disconnect the battery, use the jumpers to start the car to drive it into the garage. Charge the battery overnight with a regular plug-in charger and see if it returns to service, If not, it's new battery time.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:33 AM
Sonny71
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 57 Posts
Oldtimer

I agree----check the battery first
Old 08-04-2018, 09:48 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

The battery check is what the voltage readings above were all about ?!?
Old 08-04-2018, 09:54 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
The battery check is what the voltage readings above were all about ?!?
You're just not used to everyone agreeing with you.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:03 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
You're just not used to everyone agreeing with you.
Yeah - that must be what it is

Old 08-04-2018, 10:22 AM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Thanks everyone....

It's California time and I haven't woken up. First thing I did was see if I got any bites on the Forum. I'll check the battery, however these things puzzle me if it is the battery...

1. When I short the jumper cables, they spark.
2. When I go to run on the headlights, they don't even come on dim
3. The courtesy light is on.
4. It started right up when I first pulled it out of the garage.
5. When I went to go start it...there as a split second click of the starter....then nothing....as if there was a bad connect to the battery. This might be why the courtesy light is on....as it is LED and doesn't need that good of connection....but no headlights??

I can understand the battery being really low and not starting the car, but I would thing at least the headlights would come on..especially when I put the jumper cables on the batter from my truck.
It seems to me that it might be a connect from the batter to the car as Frank mentioned. My bet is on Frank. But we shall see.

Of all days this has to happen. I'm having like 50 people over tonight for a reveal of the car, and there will be other corvettes here, and I can't get it started??

Last edited by jusplainwacky; 08-04-2018 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:28 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Still sounds like the battery
Old 08-04-2018, 11:16 AM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Still sounds like the battery
Got it fixed....it was the connection to the battery. Just puzzled me that when I went to go jumper the car using two different jumper cables...nothing.

WHEW....I was dreading the worst like some short in the electrical system.

Thanks everyone!!

Old 08-04-2018, 12:00 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

It didn't jump start because the fault was the connection of the cable to the battery terminal. Clamping a jumper to a loose cable isn't going make contact with the battery post any better. Man, that was just plain WHACKY!!
Glad you got it fixed.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:06 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by GTOguy
It didn't jump start because the fault was the connection of the cable to the battery terminal. Clamping a jumper to a loose cable isn't going make contact with the battery post any better. Man, that was just plain WHACKY!!
Glad you got it fixed.
Hmmm....perhaps I am misunderstanding you...but I could have removed the battery and just connected the jumper cables to the truck and it should have started.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:38 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

See post #3.
The following users liked this post:
jusplainwacky (08-05-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To 58 - Electrical issue - any guess?

Quick Reply: [C1] 58 - Electrical issue - any guess?