C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Project "Peer Pressure"

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 01:45 PM
mudbone64
Le Mans Master

Location: I'd like to propose a toast... to internal combustion and wind in the face.
Received 262 Likes on 148 Posts

Default Project "Peer Pressure"

Well, he finally got to me. There's a person who shall remain nameless, okay it was "Gearbanger" who can be found on the pro-touring forum, that is the inspiring, make that the motivating factor for me to restore my '64.

In order to start a timeline for this experience I'll start by saying that I purchased this project in '07 (I believe) with the idea of just restoring the engine compartment like I had done on two of my other cars and leaving the rest alone. Well, it became real apparent real fast that much more work was going to have to be done if this car was ever going to see the road again. You guessed it, frame issues.

Up until a month or two ago the car was languishing in my garage with many of it's components removed by me in preparation for what became an aborted frame-off. Enter "Gearbanger" (again). His persistant personality and my being sick of just watching the car just sit there finally made me want to start turning screws on this car again.

I have no schedule, no deadline or date on the calendar to meet. The car will get finished when it gets finished. My strategy is this: start taking stuff off and restoring/replacing it and when it's all restored/replaced, with the help of Gearbanger, put it all back togethor.

So here's our subject:

Heres' a couple of pics of the work I've done so far:

I have removed all of the body mount bolts and the other requisite items and hopefully soon I will have a dolly and me and some of strongest friends will lift the body.

So here's my first question. I'm going to replace the bushings in the pedal assembly but I also need to attend to this item:

See where the clutch linkage has worn out it's pin? I can purchase that entire plate or bracket for about $25 but I don't need the whole bracket, I just need the pin. Surely that same pin is used elsewhere on the car and surely someone can tell me where it is or where I can buy the pin.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:57 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by mudbone64
See where the clutch linkage has worn out it's pin? I can purchase that entire plate or bracket for about $25 but I don't need the whole bracket, I just need the pin. Surely that same pin is used elsewhere on the car and surely someone can tell me where it is or where I can buy the pin.
Buy the bracket, which includes the (hardened) pin, which wasn't used anywhere else on the car; the pin was never available separately.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:01 PM
gear-banger
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know a guy that might weld that up and grind it to shape for you. Probably do it for free, or maybe for some beer.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:28 PM
vt65
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome to the forum gear-banger, you thirsty?
Old 01-01-2012, 04:58 PM
mudbone64
Le Mans Master

Location: I'd like to propose a toast... to internal combustion and wind in the face.

Originally Posted by gear-banger
I know a guy that might weld that up and grind it to shape for you. Probably do it for free, or maybe for some beer.
Okay, who left the door open?

Dude, you know how it is. If I could I would endure hours of pain as a result of burned retna before I would spend $25 (plus shipping) for that specific plate with that pin pressed into it. It just ain't in my dna to buy a whole bracket when the one I have needs a simple fix.

Welcome to the party and uh, by the way, uh, how much beer to fix the whole car?
Old 01-01-2012, 05:24 PM
Geralds57
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 596 Likes on 361 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Good luck and hopefully stay motivated. That $25 is going to be cheap compared to what's coming. I have a project at home too that needs finishing, so I know what you're going through. I need to get my butt in gear also.

Last edited by Geralds57; 01-01-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:34 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Mudbone, You and gearbanger can do this and get the greatest amount of satisfaction you could imagine. Take each issue as a separate task and when it's done...gloat about it too yourself. You have he CF supporting you. Dennis
Old 01-01-2012, 05:55 PM
mudbone64
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Geralds57
Good luck and hopefully stay motivated. That $25 is going to be cheap compared to what's coming. I have a project at home too that needs finishing, so I know what you're going through. I need to get my butt in gear also.
Believe me, I know about the associated costs. My problem is I know what can be fixed without having to call a vendor and I'll feel guilty if I just whoop out the money shotgun without attempting to fix what I already have. $25 here and $25 dollars there adds up. I don't want to sound all chincy but it's okay if I'm correctly accused of trying saving some cash. That money I save can be attributed to the 327 365 h.p. engine I have planned.

That's right, if I'm going to have to go through this crap then so are you. Misery loves company so get your butt in gear and get to work!
Old 01-01-2012, 06:09 PM
mudbone64
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
Mudbone, You and gearbanger can do this and get the greatest amount of satisfaction you could imagine. Take each issue as a separate task and when it's done...gloat about it too yourself. You have he CF supporting you. Dennis
Thanks for the encouragment. Though I've done some fairly major projects on my other cars before, this is the first time I'll have the body off any of them.

Gearbanger's been there before. Me, not as much.

Gearbanger's beginnings:
http://www.pro-touring.com/showthrea...onna-Run-Again

Gearbanger's endings:
http://www.pro-touring.com/showthrea...tiac-GTO/page2
Old 01-01-2012, 06:13 PM
gear-banger
Intermediate

Thanks for the weldcome vt65!

Gino is one of my best beer drankin' buddies and I owe him a lot of car workin' for all the help on my car. I am just glad we're finally underway. It was beginning to stress me out and I live an hour away from it.

Here's a shot of what we built, hopefully we can do as good on the vette.

Old 01-01-2012, 07:16 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Welcome gear-banger, awesome build you have there.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:36 PM
raylag64
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks for the weldcome vt65!

Gino is one of my best beer drankin' buddies and I owe him a lot of car workin' for all the help on my car. I am just glad we're finally underway. It was beginning to stress me out and I live an hour away from it.

That's a beautiful pontiac, but don't think your going to just dable into a few tweeks to make your ride what you want it to be. I bought a 64 project for what I thaught was a reasonable price, thinking it needs this and that, and found if you want it right, you are going to spend a whole lot more. These cars are a hobby and not an investment. If you want the car that's right, you will undoubtedly spend way more than the car is worth. Forget the budget. There is no budget! Unfortunately, those selling the parts and those doing the work for you, ( in my case, I grew up doing bodywork and machine shop work with my father), don't realize that the market is not where it was some years ago! So you most definitely cannot expect to upgrade your car at a reasonable cost. If you love your car, spend what has to be spent and enjoy it. Some day you might get your investment back. Might!
Ray
Old 01-01-2012, 07:52 PM
gear-banger
Intermediate

Mudbone gets mad when I say, "Gino, you gotta let the project drive the money, not the money drive the project."

It just costs what it's gonna cost, but I will say this, he can take a pile of rusty greasy junk and make an inventory of brand new looking restored items for practically no money.

I have always been more of a "billet" man myself so I am not as efficient as he is.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:59 PM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Gearbanger,
Nice job on the Goat!

Don
Old 01-01-2012, 09:33 PM
mudbone64
Le Mans Master

In the interest of being up-front and honest, during Gearbanger's project I was basically a vise or vise grips. Gearbanger would say something like: "hold this wheel tub here like this" and I would dutifully fulfill his request. So saying that "we" built his car is a bit, okay, it's a lot of a stretch.

There ain't no way the '64 is going to be in the same league as Gearbanger's car. However, if I can stay motivated it should look okay. Now, if I can just get some work done in January and February I should be okay. I think that after today we fall into the freezer around here for a while.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:59 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Your car still has a very nice stance on those barely-contained tires! Don't mess with the springs.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:08 PM
vt65
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

gearbanger that's a beauty GTO, my buddys son just bought a '67 GTO, Marina Blue, it needs some work but it has the Hurst package on it, these were around new when I was a young guy but I always had Chevelles, he's asking me all these questions about his GTO but we need to know where to go to get some good info on them, any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by vt65; 01-02-2012 at 04:20 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Project "Peer Pressure"

Old 01-02-2012, 04:11 PM
UberLegend
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I heart '64s. Good project
Old 01-02-2012, 07:32 PM
mudbone64
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by sub006
Your car still has a very nice stance on those barely-contained tires! Don't mess with the springs.
Though I'm dreaming of a set of knock-offs (bolt on knock-offs) the late 70s early 80s kid in me does love the slots. Those are 15s on the front and 14s on the back. The previous owner stacked a pile of washers at the ends of the rear spring to make the tires work. Like I said, I kinda hate to see the slots go but they're probably gone. However, I do appreciate the compliment.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:33 PM
mudbone64
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by vt65
gearbanger that's a beauty GTO, my buddys son just bought a '67 GTO, Marina Blue, it needs some work but it has the Hurst package on it, these were around new when I was a young guy but I always had Chevelles, he's asking me all these questions about his GTO but we need to know where to go to get some good info on them, any help would be appreciated.
I'll see if I can dial up Gearbanger for you.

Quick Reply: Project "Peer Pressure"