C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

66 Aluminum Intake Plug Stuck

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 12:59 PM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,273 Likes on 814 Posts

I had a 95 Suburban with the same issue, I chose not to drain the block on mine. The heater hose on the 95 plugged into the Manifold with a quick connect factory fitting.
The quick connect was pot metal and when it started leaking I could not remove it from the Aluminum manifold. This car went 90,000 miles in Michigan between 95 and 97 on the very Salted roads. I always thought it was the salt that caused the stuck hose connection. Drilled and tapped it with no issue at all, same car also had A/C connections ( Aluminum ) that seemed to be welded after the Michigan winters. I had to cut one of them to fix an A/C issue. Is this a Salt issue with Aluminum and threads? I vowed to never buy another Michigan car, and then my Vette came along. From Michigan of course but it sat in my friends garage in Michigan since 1978.
My California Neighbor has a Carpet business and bought my 95 Suburban to use in the business several years ago. To date it does not show any Body panel rust from its time in Michigan. It is now at 325,000 miles.

Quick Reply: 66 Aluminum Intake Plug Stuck