C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Master cylinder--power VS non-power

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2002, 06:26 PM
johncr
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 1 Post

Default Master cylinder--power VS non-power

I have a '66 big block and I'm hoping some of you guys might be able to share your thoughts on power brakes vs. non-power brakes. My car has power brakes but the stock brake booster really limits the type of valve covers I can use. I have roller rocker arms and I have to stack valve cover gaskets to make the stock valve covers work. I would like to go with a higher profile valve cover but the brake booster is in the way :mad . So I was thinking about getting a non-power master cylinder and removing my stock booster and master cylinder.
Does that sound like a modification that would work OK? Is there a significant diff. between a power brake car and a non-power brake car, performance-wise?

I've seen a lot of relatively hot vetts that don't have power brakes, however when I get the car set up a little better I would like to start doing some autocross. Will the lack of power brakes be a big problem?

Any one else have this problem and come up with a solution that I haven't thought of?

(Sorry this was so long)

Thanks for your help!

john
Old 05-10-2002, 06:57 PM
kahuner
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Master cylinder--power VS non-power (johncr)

This maybe a silly question but do you have the stock valve cover w/ the indentation at the rear of the cover itself? Wondering if you could stack the gaskets in the stock cover and get it to work.

There's probably 3/4" clearance between the booster and a stock cover.

Just a thought.
Old 05-10-2002, 06:57 PM
67HEAVEN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

RichsCorvettes (forum member) has solved it with a smaller booster.

Here's a photo - http://www.corvetteforum.net/c5/rich...educedSize.JPG

Here's his website - http://www.corvetteforum.net/c5/richs7/

Ask him and he'll tell all. Rich is a great guy.
Old 05-10-2002, 08:03 PM
396 RAT
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Is there a significant diff. between a power brake car and a non-power brake car, performance-wise?
I've seen a lot of relatively hot vetts that don't have power brakes, however when I get the car set up a little better I would like to start doing some autocross. Will the lack of power brakes be a big problem? "

You might want to post this in the Autocrossing/Roadracing forum? http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zeroforum?id=23
While not being a big time racer, I have always prefered manual brakes and steering. It gives me a better feel as to whats going on. (Plus there's less to go wrong.) I think its personal preference, with no right answer.
Although power steering is a plus if you are running huge front tires.
Dont know if this helps? Just my 2 cents.
:cheers:
Old 05-10-2002, 08:08 PM
johncr
Advanced

Default Re: Master cylinder--power VS non-power (kahuner)

Thanks for the post Kahuner,

Yes, I have the stock, stamped steel valve covers. I use a thick "racing" gasket with a standard gasket and I have just enough clearence but I keep getting leaks from the valve covers that I attribute from not being able to adequately tighten down the covers. I would like to go with cast alumnium valve covers that would require only one gasket.

john

[Modified by johncr, 4:11 PM 5/10/2002]
Old 05-10-2002, 10:45 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can also install a "Hydroboost" power brake booster that uses power steering boost instead of vacuum to increase braking power. It's a much smaller unit. A few guys have them in big block C3s for valve cover clearance. I'm putting one in with my new engine. I got it for $80 from a mail-order wrecking yard in like-new condition.

Here's one of the many threads about it: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=222342
Old 05-10-2002, 11:19 PM
johncr
Advanced

Default Re: Master cylinder--power VS non-power (Flareside)

I've never heard of this setup. One question, most likely a stupid one, since this thing is from a power steering setup do you need to install a power steering pump? My car all manual, except for the brakes.

Old 05-10-2002, 11:30 PM
johncr
Advanced

Default Re: Master cylinder--power VS non-power (67HEAVEN)

Thanks for the reply 67, I've looked into the smaller boosters from the pictures I have seen and the measurements I've taken I wasn't sure that I would get much more space. I know I'd have more clearance but I wasn't sure how much more. The linked picture in your reply showed Rich’s Vette with valve covers that looked a lot like stock valve covers. Granted its kind of hard to tell with the blinding glare from the fabulously detailed engine compartment and beautiful paint job :yesnod: I'll have to email him to find out what his actual clearances are.

Thanks again
Old 05-11-2002, 12:22 AM
Vetterodder
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

With stock your brakes, power assist reduces pedal effort but it doesn't increase braking ability. If you go for bigger and more powerful brakes, power assist would be more necessary
Old 05-11-2002, 10:58 AM
Flareside
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never heard of this setup. One question, most likely a stupid one, since this thing is from a power steering setup do you need to install a power steering pump? My car all manual, except for the brakes.
Yep, you would need a PS pump. :yesnod:

Get notified of new replies

To Master cylinder--power VS non-power

Quick Reply: Master cylinder--power VS non-power