C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Dash cracks...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 07:32 PM
Giant10
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dash cracks...

Any thoughts regarding the best way to address a dash crack on the crest above the glove box? It's a hairline crack that virtually disappears when you apply mild downward pressure. I was thinking about taking a pin and lightly applying super glue inside the crack. Any better ideas?

I searched for "dash crack repair" and the results seemed to address major cracks and breaks...not fine crack repair.

Any/all related thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 01-08-2012, 08:23 PM
66since71
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's just going to get worse with time. If it's deteriorated there, it has elsewhere, too. I was able to extend the life of mine a couple of years with superglue as you propose. I put the glue on so the crack was reconnected. I'd recommend it, but it's not a permanent fix.

Harry
Old 01-08-2012, 08:38 PM
oldsarge
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Do a search on cracked dash, someone had a thread awhile back, and how he fixed his with satisfaction.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:02 AM
RK-TECT
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Giant10,
I had an air pocket in my dash pad on the left side of the gauge cluster and was told there was no way of fixing it without complete replacement. After some trial & error, I found the solution and it should work for you, too. Go online and purchase "Rhino Glue". It is a clear liquid which is similar to Super Glue, but you have a little more time to work with it before it sets... and it definitely holds tight. Get a medical needle & syringe (not easy without being in the medical field), put in a small amount of the glue, and inject it deep into the crack. You want to avoid having the glue seep out the top if possible. Push the crack together using both hands as the glue sets for a few minutes and you should be good to go. The Rhino Glue was able to bond to the foam behind the vinyl which other glues weren't able to do.

Good luck,
Roger
Old 01-10-2012, 11:07 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

The problem is that the underlying foam is deteriorated and swelling - hence the cracks....any glue fix is temporary at best. I've tried it all - from industrial glues to the TV ad vinyl repair kits....may work for a few months but you are just "...putting lipstick on the pig"...
Old 01-10-2012, 06:48 PM
claf
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 75 Posts

How old is the current dash pad ? You might be running into the end of it's life cycle. On my '62 the original pad lasted about 26 years before shrinkage pulled it out from beneath the windshield. The replacement is now into its 23rd year and is showing signs of brittleness. Good for a couple more years but definitely on borrowed time. Bob
Old 01-10-2012, 08:17 PM
Giant10
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by claf
How old is the current dash pad ? You might be running into the end of it's life cycle. On my '62 the original pad lasted about 26 years before shrinkage pulled it out from beneath the windshield. The replacement is now into its 23rd year and is showing signs of brittleness. Good for a couple more years but definitely on borrowed time. Bob
The dash itself is actually perfect.....to be honest I did a bone headed thing when I was looking under the dash on the passenger side. I lifted my head when getting up and banged the arch above the glove box...which put about a 1.5 inch crack right at the crest above the box from the leading edge inward. If you press it down lightly you can't even see it so I'm thinking a hybrid of RK-TECT and 66since71's suggestion should work. I pretty much have only one shot at it and if I get any of the glue on the surface it's going to be there forever.

Now...where to get the hypodermic needle......
Old 01-10-2012, 08:27 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

There ARE pros that do that type of repair....I had a tear in my original hardtop C1 headliner fixed by a dude that does that work for a large car auction house locally...it CAN be made to be invisible if the underlying foam is OK.
Before and after repair pics...
Attached Images   
Old 01-10-2012, 08:42 PM
RK-TECT
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Giant10,
Put some wax or Armorall on the dash vinyl before you do the surgery which should help repel a minor mishap with the glue. From my experience, Crazy Glue or Super Glue works very well to mend fabrics, but I can't tell you that it will bond the foam behind the vinyl. I tried a few different glues before striking gold with the Rhino Glue. It's clear, not too thick or too thin, flows well but not too fast out of the needle, and gives you time to get the joint aligned and held in place before it bonds. Others glues were no match for the foam. Just my 2 cents from being there and doing that :-) As you said, you may only get one shot at making a clean repair.

Get notified of new replies

To Dash cracks...

Quick Reply: Dash cracks...