C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

CONFIRMED....FUN FACTOR JUST WENT UP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2002, 10:54 PM
6T5RUSH
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 98 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default CONFIRMED....FUN FACTOR JUST WENT UP!!!

This post is not to express a problem, looking for an answer from this established/experienced/knowledgeable group. This is one of celebration!!

Had a ball in Ubly, MI at Ubly drag strip today. I knew swappin' in a 3.70:1 posi made my '5 come alive. Runnin' her at the strip confirmed this.

Facts:

With 3.36:1 Open rear, M-20 (2.56:1 first, street Michlin radials my best last year was 14.62 @ 97 mph.

After the swap to a 3.70:1 Posi rear my best of 6 passes today was a 14.246 96.824 mph!!!

I really believe with some driver tweekin' (read this a user issue) she's capable of getting into the 14.0's and possibly the 13.9's. She's makin power right through the traps. Just got to work on launching with just enough wheel spin to keep her from boggin' and keep that "sweet spot".

What a blast it was. I had the jitters comin' off line and was shiftin' more from a feel/sound rather than focusing on the tach. I know I was shifting too early in the power band (part of that user issue :jester )

Just had a ball...AND didn't break anything!!!
:D

Jim

[Modified by 6T5RUSH, 8:56 PM 5/11/2002]
Old 05-11-2002, 11:37 PM
Milehigh66
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: CONFIRMED....FUN FACTOR JUST WENT UP!!! (6T5RUSH)

sounds like a kick! switching to posi probably did as much as the gear change. You can't run a good race if you can't hook up.

Kurt
Old 05-11-2002, 11:52 PM
ghostrider20
Le Mans Master

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

Default Re: CONFIRMED....FUN FACTOR JUST WENT UP!!! (6T5RUSH)

That is great Jim, After your work this season sounds like you are enjoying the car. I was going to go Thunder Valley on Sunday but my Ignition took a crap. It is raining and drizzling here so I think the races will be off anyway.

I know what you are saying about the "driver" running the car. When my dad runs my chevelle his times are always better then mine. I guess he figured he had the money to fix it and all I could think about was having to ride the bus to school if my car was down :eek:

Mark
Old 05-12-2002, 12:16 AM
6T5RUSH
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 98 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: CONFIRMED....FUN FACTOR JUST WENT UP!!! (ghostrider20)

Milehigh66: You betchum!! Practice will make perfect. Mechanics of the car aside, there really is a lot more "driver mechanics" that goes into runnin' her to get that peak performance for a measured 1/4.

ghostrider20: Thanks! Noticed you're in a "chase" mode on your beast. Sure does sound like electrical...Pertronix?? One of the guys I met at the track was runnin' a '66, 425 horse big block vert. He said the car was running fine yesterday. He trailered her to the track, fired her up, ran his first pass and she was breaking up going down the track. This car has run in the high 12's. Tweeked the ignition timing...in so doing determined that maybe the Pertonix was the culprit so he changed her out back to points.

Just so happened we got paired up togther. That must have been a sweet sight to see 2 side exhaust midyears coming off line. When I realized it was the big block car I knew I was in trouble. We briefly hung off line together, then he pulled me 2 cars (nuthin' like brute torque) but then he started missing again...he got off it I started going past him then he got on it again. Runnin' on 7 intermittently he still pulled me through the traps :eek: He is so p****d off he said to me "want to buy a big block Jim". That's got to be frustrating for the car to just suddenly do this. GREMLINS!!

I say all this 'cause your issue COULD be the Pertronix. Get the old points out and see if this issue persists. All you're out is your time.

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To CONFIRMED....FUN FACTOR JUST WENT UP!!!

Quick Reply: CONFIRMED....FUN FACTOR JUST WENT UP!!!