C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

The Best Rag Top Shop in Maryland

Old 01-19-2012, 08:53 AM
davidavedesian
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default The Best Rag Top Shop in Maryland

Hello:

I own a 1964 rag top Vette - "SCARLTT" for almost two years. The rag top had been replaced in a previous life. The rag top does not fit correct on the A-Pillar. It appears that the B-Pillar hinge could be adjusted to help fix the fit.

My question to the group is as follows: "Who is/are the top three rag top shops in Maryland?"

I am interested in talking with the "best" shop to see if my rag top fit can be improved.

Thank you for all your thoughts.

David Avedesian
Silver Spring, MD
Old 01-19-2012, 10:03 AM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,465 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

David, One trick learned here is, if you take the top off yourself YOU can get it too fit properly. It must be done BEFORE the new top gets installed. If they do that you will pay additional. I can't recommend one. I'm putting my own on in the spring. I watched a good friend put one on in an afternoon on the Fun Field at Carlisle, and it looked great. I think someone here on the CF has the Al Knoch video for installation. I understand it's not that difficult. Call the ones listed in the Yellow Pages and ask for reference. Call Tony's Corvette shop, ask them. Hope this helps. Dennis
Old 01-19-2012, 10:59 AM
Tevroc98
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 75 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

If you can wait til Spring Carlisle. Take it to AL Knoch. They do excellent vert top work. IMO
Old 01-19-2012, 01:01 PM
dmruschell
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

I've used GS upholstery located in millersville, md. Its right at the Benfield Blvd exit off of I97. Its basically a 1 man shop. He's done a lot of work, including the convertible top, on my moms 72 buick skylark and he replaced the top on my 99 chrysler sebring convertible. He's also restored some classic cars himself over the years. When I get the top on my 61 replaced, they will be the ones doing it. The number is 410-987-8746, webiste is www.gsautoupholstery.com I hope this helps!
Old 01-19-2012, 01:37 PM
shemp
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dmruschell
I've used GS upholstery located in millersville, md. Its right at the Benfield Blvd exit off of I97. Its basically a 1 man shop. He's done a lot of work, including the convertible top, on my moms 72 buick skylark and he replaced the top on my 99 chrysler sebring convertible. He's also restored some classic cars himself over the years. When I get the top on my 61 replaced, they will be the ones doing it. The number is 410-987-8746, webiste is www.gsautoupholstery.com I hope this helps!
He did my seats Shemp
Old 01-19-2012, 03:02 PM
davidavedesian
Intermediate

Default The Best Rag Top Shop in Maryland

I am interested in viewing the video that was mentioned. Is it posted on Koch's web site?

However, thank you for the lead with GS Auto Uphostery. I will give them a call and follow up with the lead.

Tony of Tony's Covette Shop is the only shop that has serviced and maintained SCARLTT. I can not say enough good reviews for the quality of work and the care that I receive. Everyone is professional and personalable. The nicest auto shop experience ever.

Again thank you,

David Avedesian
Old 01-19-2012, 03:47 PM
dmruschell
Pro

Originally Posted by davidavedesian
I am interested in viewing the video that was mentioned. Is it posted on Koch's web site?

However, thank you for the lead with GS Auto Uphostery. I will give them a call and follow up with the lead.

Tony of Tony's Covette Shop is the only shop that has serviced and maintained SCARLTT. I can not say enough good reviews for the quality of work and the care that I receive. Everyone is professional and personalable. The nicest auto shop experience ever.

Again thank you,

David Avedesian
I'll have to check out Tony's Corvette Shop. It's always good to be aware of other shops in the area just in case something happens. Dr. Lew's Corvettes (http://www.drlewsclassiccorvettes.com) has taken good care of my 61, but the only thing they don't do is convertible tops.

My dad had the 61 serviced by KLJ Corvettes (http://www.kljcorvettes.com/Home.html) in the past as well as a major overhaul by Drew's Corvettes in VA about 5 years ago. I can't speak for his experience with either of them, and I can't say whether or not they do convertible tops or not, but they are other options you could look into if you want to
Old 01-19-2012, 08:42 PM
davidavedesian
Intermediate

Thank you, David Avedesian
Old 02-07-2012, 09:02 AM
davidavedesian
Intermediate

Default Best Rag Top in Maryland

Hi Guys:

As a result of this thread and the Corvette Forum, I made a visit to see Gil Spirlet, GS Auto Upholstery, Millersville, MD 410 987 8746. Gil was the perfect guy to solve my problem.

My problem was an existing replacement rag top on my 1964. My rag top did not fit tight on the top of the windshield. When it rained, the water would sheet up the windshield and "waterfall" into my lap. Not a good thing.

Gil and I reviewed the problem and he decided to give it a try. We set an up side budget and he started the project.

My 64 is a 20,000 miles/year daily driver. Getting the rag top to "fit" is important to my "fun" factor.

Within two days, Gil had come back to review his progress and we decided to dig a little deeper. We adjusted the budget and within a couple more days, he calls me back and tells me "We had success". Please come by to take your car home.

For me the experience was on the mark for the following reasons: 1) The rag top fits on tight on the top of the windshield, 2) we stayed within budget, 3) Gil had the correct temperament for this work and 4) Gil cared about his work and he treated my car with care.

Gil is not a Corvette guys. He is a rag top expert. I can not recommend his shop more highly.

Bring on the Rain, I am ready.

Thank you for all your comments and suggestions. Without them I would not have found GS Auto Upholstery.

David Avedesian
Silver Spring, MD
Old 02-07-2012, 09:52 AM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi Guys:

As a result of this thread and the Corvette Forum, I made a visit to see Gil Spirlet, GS Auto Upholstery, Millersville, MD 410 987 8746. Gil was the perfect guy to solve my problem.

My problem was an existing replacement rag top on my 1964. My rag top did not fit tight on the top of the windshield. When it rained, the water would sheet up the windshield and "waterfall" into my lap. Not a good thing.

Gil and I reviewed the problem and he decided to give it a try. We set an up side budget and he started the project.

My 64 is a 20,000 miles/year daily driver. Getting the rag top to "fit" is important to my "fun" factor.

Within two days, Gil had come back to review his progress and we decided to dig a little deeper. We adjusted the budget and within a couple more days, he calls me back and tells me "We had success". Please come by to take your car home.

For me the experience was on the mark for the following reasons: 1) The rag top fits on tight on the top of the windshield, 2) we stayed within budget, 3) Gil had the correct temperament for this work and 4) Gil cared about his work and he treated my car with care.

Gil is not a Corvette guys. He is a rag top expert. I can not recommend his shop more highly.

Thank you for all your comments and suggestions. Without them I would not have found GS Auto Upholstery.

David Avedesian
Silver Spring, MD
always good to hear of a positive experience with a vendor and a successful conclusion of a problem.

BTW, I agree with you about Tony's Corvette Shop - A first class shop and Tony does GREAT work!
Matter of fact, I bought my '65 from Tony back in 2004, than after someone hit me in the front just a few weeks after buying the car had Tony do the repairs. As always, his work was perfect.

hmmm, the spelling of your last name is only one letter off from Tony's last name. interesting coincidence?

Last edited by BarryK; 02-07-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:55 PM
dmruschell
Pro

Hi Guys:

David Avedesian
Silver Spring, MD
Glad to hear everything went well!

Get notified of new replies

To The Best Rag Top Shop in Maryland

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Best Rag Top Shop in Maryland