C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

original finish on 62 master cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2002, 01:46 PM
dropTopTx
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Default original finish on 62 master cylinder?

The motor is out, the pressure washer and sand blaster have been running all weekend and its time to think about paint (that really should have been done BEFORE but oh well)

Im planning to paint most of the engine compartment flat black but was wondering about a few specifics like master cylinder, hood latches and hinges, etc.

What color should all this stuff be?

Old 05-12-2002, 04:46 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Default Re: original finish on 62 master cylinder? (perryth)

The master cyl was hanging on the brake line with the chassis and was not bolted to the firewall durung the blackout process. The official line was that the MC was unpainted, but every one I have seen has a black preservative applied to it. I paint mine semi-gloss black and the judging guide now says "may be painted with a black preservative paint".
The engine campartment blackout included the hood latches, hood hinges, and the wiper drive plate. The hood cables release and fresh air cables were not in place yet so mask carefully if you have already installed them.
The blackout paint was a semi-flat or eggshell finish and a lot of people like John Deere Blitz Black. I prefer to buy some black lacquer at my local automotive paint supplier and have them flatten it to eggshell.
Keep in mind that the body had not been mated with the frame at this point so the frame and the engine compartment would show a different sheen of paint. Judges tell me that they really look for the different levels of shine on parts.

:seeya

Quick Reply: original finish on 62 master cylinder?