C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

R-M Diamont paint...?? Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 08:11 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

Default R-M Diamont paint...?? Opinions?

It looks as if I may have the services of an accompolished painter on my project... Well I did have at least...even though today he seems a slightly less enthusiastic. We'll see I guess.....could just be me?

While he is comfortable spraying anything that I want...in fact said that whatever I really wanted would be fine..no problem! The subject really came up over metallics like B/C silvers.

Since Silver Metalic used to be more difficult for less experienced painters back in the day ...I wanted to test the water regarding his comfort zone. Silver Metallic seems to be no issue for him at all.

At that point I asked him if he had a paint that he personally perferred over the others. He said that he was really comfortable with all the quality paints...but had had good results with R-M Diamont, and had used it quite a lot. I had planned on PPG...but maybe, using something he has used extensively, would be better for the project?

What think ye gentlemen...about R-M Diamont paint. Good , Bad or Indifferent....particularly for a metallic silver base /clear??

....and of course , by all means state "your" favorite base/clear product, assuming the end result MUST be NICE.

Thanks...Stan
Old 01-31-2012, 08:25 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

R-M is a middle of the road paint made by BASF. Glasurit (made by BASF as well) is far superior BUT it's very expensive.
Most paint makers produce different qualilty lines of paint. PPG for example has "Value-Pro", "Omni" and "Shop-Line" which in my opinion are crap, but they also have "Deltron" which is very good.
I like the Dupont ChromaPremier system. When I paint my 65 in a few months, I'll be using Pro-Spray base and SPI clear.
There aren't any bargains when buying paint. You get what you pay for.

Jim

Last edited by 1snake; 01-31-2012 at 08:31 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:57 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

Used to shoot R-M lacquer back in the 70's-80s. I really like Glasurit 55 line, will shoot my '67 with it. Have used PPG on a few projects, I thought the old "Deltron" was pretty good. My buddy shoots nothing but Spies Hecker now, easy to use system and looks great and cheaper than Glasurit. Last car I shot I used SPI base and Universal clear on. SPI stopped selling base colors, but their primers and clears are great value, I thought the Universal clear took some getting used to when shooting it, maybe because its a high solids clear?? Another friend shoots only Sherwin Williams, I think its more about what you are used to using.

BTW, don't event think about spraying these primers/paints/clears without a Fresh Air Supply Respirator and protective clothing, its all nasty sh*t.

Last edited by Scott Marzahl; 01-31-2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:06 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Scott Marzahl
BTW, don't event think about spraying these primers/paints/clears without a Fresh Air Supply Respirator and protective clothing, its all nasty sh*t.
Very good advice. When I shoot, I look like I'm ready to blast off in a spaceship. Complete suit, gloves and a full hood, supplied air system. That stuff is very bad and can be absorbed through the skin and eyes.

Jim
Old 02-01-2012, 01:14 AM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 1snake
R-M is a middle of the road paint made by BASF. Glasurit (made by BASF as well) is far superior BUT it's very expensive.
Most paint makers produce different qualilty lines of paint. PPG for example has "Value-Pro", "Omni" and "Shop-Line" which in my opinion are crap, but they also have "Deltron" which is very good.
I like the Dupont ChromaPremier system. When I paint my 65 in a few months, I'll be using Pro-Spray base and SPI clear.

Jim
Thanks Jim...

Quote: Glasurit (made by BASF as well) is far superior BUT it's very expensive.

What would be a guess as to the difference in the price of the R-M and the Glasurit? Just curious as maybe some others will be ...I don't know within $500 dollars.

I would also like to know what makes a paint really superior...not talking about any of the value lines, but what separates the best (like Glasurit) from the rest.

Being around car business all my life...I've seen some very decent paint jobs with less than the best. Not much exposure to the best in that element...so I don't really know what the main difference is after you get past a certain level.

Maybe someone could enlighten me a little?

...not that I plan on scimping on material cost at all. I was just seeing if I could make it easier on the painter..and still use material he had intimate knowledge about. Regardless..a value line paint is not what will be used.

Thanks..Stan

Last edited by Stan's Customs; 02-01-2012 at 01:26 AM.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:19 AM
UberLegend
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ Good questions
Old 02-01-2012, 01:21 AM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Scott Marzahl

Used to shoot R-M lacquer back in the 70's-80s. I really like Glasurit 55 line, will shoot my '67 with it. Have used PPG on a few projects, I thought the old "Deltron" was pretty good. My buddy shoots nothing but Spies Hecker now, easy to use system and looks great and cheaper than Glasurit. Last car I shot I used SPI base and Universal clear on. SPI stopped selling base colors, but their primers and clears are great value, I thought the Universal clear took some getting used to when shooting it, maybe because its a high solids clear?? Another friend shoots only Sherwin Williams, I think its more about what you are used to using.

Scott...

Is there some way to use a shop compressor for the fresh air?? I know the compressor air is warm and sometimes a little oily on big shop compressors. I do have water traps and good filtration for the air supply lines and paint guns.

Any recommendations where to buy a reasonably priced fresh air system...for a hobby shop, 1 or 2 paint jobs a year? Most of the locals I know use 3-M respirators..no fresh air supply on piece work.

Stan..

Last edited by Stan's Customs; 02-01-2012 at 01:36 AM.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:52 AM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Well I was young and dumb once, shot a '65 mustang with Deltron and was sick as a dog using a 3M charcoal mask in a home garage. I should have known better, one painter that worked in my grandad's shop when Imron first came out ended up in the hospital using a charcoal mask. There was little to no information on how bad it was.

You can often find clean used Supplied Air System brand on Ebay for $400-$500 also new ones. New from Summit for less than $700, you have to decide if your lungs and kidneys and life are worth that before you use a cheap charcoal respirator that does not work with Isocyanates. Gloves, a paint suit and sealed eye protection are needed.

http://www.sp2.org/newsletters/sp2vo...1iss8topic.php

What's the difference in paint quality, in a nutshell, namely the polymers, quality of pigments used and amount of solids in the paint. It may take you 4 coats to shoot a panel with cheap paint to get coverage vs 2 coats of quality paint.

Last edited by Scott Marzahl; 02-01-2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:03 AM
1snake
Le Mans Master

I bought my supplied air from these guys. Len is a great guy and has been a painter forever. He also has a forum. http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/m...tegory_Code=HP

Jim
Old 02-01-2012, 10:22 AM
Bob57
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SAS makes a supplied air that works with compressor air, I've used one for 10yrs.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:17 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bob57
SAS makes a supplied air that works with compressor air, I've used one for 10yrs.
I don't see anything on a search...got a link or model # by chance ?

Thanks..Stan
Old 02-01-2012, 01:28 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Stan, go to the SAS website catalog.

http://www.sassafety.com/store/shopexd.asp?id=347&bc=no
Old 02-01-2012, 01:33 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bob57
If you use air from your compressor, the CO2 monitor is absolutely necessary. I wouldn't use one without it.

Jim
Old 02-01-2012, 08:59 PM
jdk971
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

be very careful of just using a reg air compressor. if you go that way, find out what filters
the dive shops use. too many contaminants in those plain compressors. should have pre and after filters i believe. jmho jim

been years since i was a sport diver.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:17 PM
paulywannafly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 374 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by 1snake

Jim
Did you know Diamont is the domestic version of glasurit? they interchange with each other aside from tint #s they are the same I have a RM diamont mixing bank and it is not middle of the road paint . Lessonal is sikens cheap line and is also ok . IMO PPG has always been a low grade paint . Dupont Chroma base is good most likely the best for covering up less than perfect prep as it will fill 400 scratches and drys fast enough not to lift feather edges . We use Diamont on our strip and paints and either lessonal or Chromabase for our cheap resale paint jobs.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:34 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by paulywannafly
Did you know Diamont is the domestic version of glasurit? they interchange with each other aside from tint #s they are the same I have a RM diamont mixing bank and it is not middle of the road paint . Lessonal is sikens cheap line and is also ok . IMO PPG has always been a low grade paint . Dupont Chroma base is good most likely the best for covering up less than perfect prep as it will fill 400 scratches and drys fast enough not to lift feather edges . We use Diamont on our strip and paints and either lessonal or Chromabase for our cheap resale paint jobs.
No kidding Pauly...so R-M Diamont is a near top line paint ??

...and maybe my painter does know something after all ??

How do you like the clears......

Stan...
Old 05-20-2016, 02:44 PM
canthus13
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by paulywannafly
I realize this is late, but Glasurit is NOT the same as Diamont. I work in the BASF research center... We use the same reference numbers, but glasurit is definitely the superior product.
Old 05-20-2016, 04:11 PM
karkrafter
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 152 Posts

Diamont on my '66 GTO I've had since high school. Painted 1990, won best paint awards and 'best in show' at a 1500 car, show. Has help up incredibly well.

Last edited by karkrafter; 05-20-2016 at 11:22 PM.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:00 PM
64Corvette
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 123 Posts

I painted my 64 Corvette with Diamont back in 2002 and it still looks like the day I painted it. When I taught paint and body Diamont was all we used. Very good system, you won't go wrong with Diamont.
Diamont is very much like lacquer the base color is not activated. It can be reduced and saved. The clear is activated.
Speaking of Imron when I started painting there was enamel and lacquer. Enamel would fade out after about 6 months and lacquer had to be sanded and polished, very time consuming. So we would paint it in lacquer and then put 2 coats of Imron clear over the lacquer to keep from polishing it.

Last edited by 64Corvette; 05-20-2016 at 10:16 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To R-M Diamont paint...?? Opinions?

Quick Reply: R-M Diamont paint...?? Opinions?