C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Do it yourself resto mod--Ideas/Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 11:56 PM
uxojerry
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I stand corrected and thanks for the information.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:44 AM
Loren Smith
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

The C5 cars modified to look like C1s are admirable in their effort, but never look like C1s to me. The body dimensions are different, and then the modern windshield looks goofy on the C1 body. Also, the 60 dash is such a work of art, it would be a shame to exchange it for a C5 dash/interior. At the end of the day, you would have a modified C5, and not a C1, and your resale value would reflect this.

If your 60 has a NOM but presentable paint, chrome, interior and frame, another option that would be cheaper and quicker is a more moderate restomod. You could go with the Jim Meyer front and rear suspensions, either a LS/6 speed dropout or 383/Tremec combo, vintage air, Al Knoch AOK seats, and a 15" inch steering wheel, and have an end product that you could drive hard and often. Although not as nice as a full blown SRIII or Billy Dawson build, it would be quicker and cheaper, and could be done without pulling the body off the frame. If you wanted a full blown, over the top restomod, you are probably better off selling your 60 as is, and buying a rougher project since you have to start from scratch on a project like that, anyway.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:55 PM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

I know this is an old post,but thought I would add my two cent worth for future readers.
I have been talking with Mike at SRII, first let me say he is a very kind and understanding guy. I have asked him a zillion questions and he has taken the time to answer them all without making me a feel dumb.
On there C5 chassis for the C1 the one that allows installation of the complete suspension including torque tube and rea axles, requires intensive modification and cutting of your body. The torque tube gets cut 5", the rear cradle gets cut down as well or wider quarters are use to keep the wheel inside the wheel wells. The whole tunnel is replace in the car,the original seats cannot be used as they would be too wide. I thought about it for numerous months,but in the end decided that I will use a frame for C4 components which requires only a small cut out in the trunk area to clear the toe links. Also you will loose the storage for the solftop, gas tank will need to be moved to trunk on the C5 installation. Very doable!

Quick Reply: Do it yourself resto mod--Ideas/Help