C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Generator not charging

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 10:31 PM
Dave Tuten
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Generator not charging

Hello,
New member so HI to all vette friends!
Question: Generator not charging so I went to wiring diagram. Gen has been checked as well as volt-reg and is ok or so. Does it matter which terminal of the amp guage the solenoid goes to? One diagram shows the solenoid and ignition wires going to the terminal on the right and another diagram shows the solenoid on right terminal and the ignition on the left terminal along withthe batt lead. Either way, when I try to reconnect the positive battery terminal to the battery it sparkes like a ground is present pon the battery lead. Any suggestions? If I remove the battery lead from the fuse which goes back to the horn/volt-reg, the battery terminal does not spark but battery is not charging.

THANKS,
Dave
Old 02-19-2012, 11:12 PM
ragtopman
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Did you polarize it prior to installation?
Old 02-19-2012, 11:28 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Probably wouldn't hurt to mention what year you're working on. Or maybe fill out your profile so the info will be there.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:38 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Gen has been checked as well as volt-reg and is ok or so.
"OK or so" doesn't quite cut it - the old voltage regulators are touchy and must be adjusted exactly as the technical manuals indicate.

The early C1 diagrams had the ammeter wires REVERSED -- this is a well known defect in the schematics. If your ammeter reads opposite of what it should then the wires are reversed.

And yes - its generally best to polarize the charging system if you have done any repairs.

Batteries will spark if there is a current draw when reconnecting them...not good if there are any vapors lingering around from charging it....explosive combo. Make sure your headlight switch is off; the doors are closed so the interior light doesn't come on, etc.. Sounds like you have some wiring issues on this mystery car. All we know is that it is probably a C1 since it has a generator.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 02-20-2012 at 07:50 AM.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:15 AM
Redbird
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 573 Likes on 307 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

This may sound silly but make sure your battery terminals are hooked up correctly. On my 62s the positive (+) terminal is the outboard terminal with negative (-) closest to the engine. Also polarize the VR.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:25 AM
Dave Tuten
Advanced

Default reply

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Probably wouldn't hurt to mention what year you're working on. Or maybe fill out your profile so the info will be there.

Yes, that woiuld help....my bad 1957 and will fill out profile...thanks
Old 02-20-2012, 10:27 AM
Dave Tuten
Advanced

Default reply

Originally Posted by ragtopman
Did you polarize it prior to installation?

I used a jumper wire from the batt on the voltage regulstor and "tapped" it to the field terminal...is that it? Also tghis is a 1957.......thanks
Old 02-20-2012, 10:29 AM
Dave Tuten
Advanced

Default reply

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
"OK or so" doesn't quite cut it - the old voltage regulators are touchy and must be adjusted exactly as the technical manuals indicate.

The early C1 diagrams had the ammeter wires REVERSED -- this is a well known defect in the schematics. If your ammeter reads opposite of what it should then the wires are reversed.

And yes - its generally best to polarize the charging system if you have done any repairs.

Batteries will spark if there is a current draw when reconnecting them...not good if there are any vapors lingering around from charging it....explosive combo. Make sure your headlight switch is off; the doors are closed so the interior light doesn't come on, etc.. Sounds like you have some wiring issues on this mystery car. All we know is that it is probably a C1 since it has a generator.
Thanks for the info...i should have noted it is a 1957...my bad..thanks
Old 02-20-2012, 10:40 AM
Donald #31176
Melting Slicks

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Tuten
I used a jumper wire from the batt on the voltage regulstor and "tapped" it to the field terminal...is that it? Also tghis is a 1957.......thanks
Proper polarization of the generator is jumping the battery pole of the VR to the armature pole of the VR momentarily.

Get notified of new replies

To Generator not charging

Quick Reply: Generator not charging