C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Why fan belt just 3/8 inch wide for 62

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 10:55 AM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

Default Why fan belt just 3/8 inch wide for 62

Purchase new reproduction fan belt for my 62 and it is 3/8" wide. Looked in judging guide and was surprized to see that 3/8 is correct. Why would chevrolet design such a narrow belt that will most likely stretch and wear out in no time. I could see using a belt that small if the pulleys were not that deep but they are and can take a much bigger belt.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:05 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

You are talking about a single belt that runs basically the water pump and generator -- no A/C, no power steering pump, etc.. They will last a LONG time...mine has been on 6 years and I put 4,000 miles a year on the '61...belt still looks new.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:45 PM
corvette-62
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
You are talking about a single belt that runs basically the water pump and generator -- no A/C, no power steering pump, etc.. They will last a LONG time...
Old 02-21-2012, 04:00 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by MOXIE62

I could see using a belt that small if the pulleys were not that deep but they are and can take a much bigger belt.
You probably have the deep groove pullies on your engine. The deep groove is to keep from throwing the belt at high rpm. The real estate the belt actually rides in is fine for the belt design.

The same belt on standard pullies doesn't look so insignificant. Lot's of people replace them every year or two but I've run them for years and years of limited use with no failures.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:06 PM
62corvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 663 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
You probably have the deep groove pullies on your engine. The deep groove is to keep from throwing the belt at high rpm. The real estate the belt actually rides in is fine for the belt design.

The same belt on standard pullies doesn't look so insignificant. Lot's of people replace them every year or two but I've run them for years and years of limited use with no failures.
62's had only one width/depth of pulley from the factory. If his pulleys are wide pulleys, they are not factory-correct. Original pulleys have part numbers stamped on them.

Get notified of new replies

To Why fan belt just 3/8 inch wide for 62

Quick Reply: Why fan belt just 3/8 inch wide for 62