C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

58 trunk lid fit

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 06:57 PM
jms58vt
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 58 trunk lid fit

I'd appreciate any advice on making the trunk lid on my 58 fit better.
My problem is it sets too high on the upper outside corners of the lid. The bottom edge at the latch area and center of the leading edge fit OK.
Shims won't help, as the problem is too high, not too low. Fit is wrong even without the trunk rubber seal installed
I’ve had the car for 38 years and it was probably pieced together from other cars as this in the early 70s, so think the lid may have come from a 57, 59 or 60. (There were no holes in lid for mounting the trunk irons). Even so I figured those other 3 model years would interchange. maybe not.
I’ve considered lowering the lid by removing the some of the fiberglass from the hinge mounts and glassing them in higher in the lid or serrating the reinforcement on the underside of the lid in order to allow the corners to droop a little or looking for another lid, but figured I’d ask you guys if you had any suggestions be fore doing either.
Thanks, Jim
Old 03-08-2012, 10:23 PM
steampunk c1
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 97 Posts

Ubolt the boot from the hinges and test fit.Some times a tweek in the hinge will flaten out the lid and it will sit high at top corners. fix is to tweek the hinges or sihm with a tapered shim to curve yhe lid.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:35 PM
1955 copper
Safety Car

Received 207 Likes on 149 Posts
2015 C1 of Year

To bring down the lid line ( or lip) put a shim under just the (one top) bolt at the hinge
Old 03-09-2012, 05:32 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

Don't do this:
Ubolt the boot from the hinges and test fit.Some times a tweek in the hinge will flaten out the lid and it will sit high at top corners. fix is to tweek the hinges or sihm with a tapered shim to curve yhe lid.

Do this:
To bring down the lid line ( or lip) put a shim under just the (one top) bolt at the hinge
Here is a picture. It doesn't take much. Start out with a 1/32" shim.

Mike Coletta
Old 03-19-2012, 05:59 PM
jms58vt
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 58 trunk lid fit

Just want to thank you guys for the advice and pictures. I went with the shims under the single bolt hole as advised, and that brought both cornes of lid flush with the body and improved the gap between the body and the lid sides.
I sure appreciate the help
Much Thanks,
Jim

Get notified of new replies

To 58 trunk lid fit

Quick Reply: 58 trunk lid fit