C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Do you wear mechanic's gloves?

Old 03-20-2012, 03:12 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

I've worn latex gloves for years, maybe decades.

I'm a retired oral surgeon. Wore them day long when I was practicing. Wore them working on cars to keep the grease/grit of of my hands and nails back in my pre-retirement days.

I still wear them.

I buy 'em by the box of 100 here in Florida.

Chuck
Old 03-20-2012, 03:25 PM
wow
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

At my age, Mechanix for big stuff, nitrile for small stuff...takes to long to heal from cuts and bruises anymore...
Old 03-20-2012, 03:25 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

REAL MEN don't wear gloves!

Old 03-20-2012, 03:55 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

other than a latex allergy, is there any reason to choose nitrile over latex?
Bill
Old 03-20-2012, 04:16 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by wmf62
other than a latex allergy, is there any reason to choose nitrile over latex?
Bill
Nitrile are stronger and more puncture resistant than latex.

Jim
Old 03-20-2012, 04:49 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon
In the past I've never worn "girlie" gloves, and considered my rough and tough skin on my hands a badge of hard work.

BUT....I older I get and the less I have that tough skin from doing less work, it hurts like hell to do what I used to do, plus it's hard to keep your nails clean, dirty sinks, hand cleaner, etc. You guys wear gloves?
Originally Posted by wmf62
hard for me to use gloves for things that require handling small parts; but i will use them for dirty work.
Bill
I used to take pride in my "man hands" until the pain overtook the pride.

Haven't found a pair that gives me the dexterity I need. I will use latex for rusty or nasty grease.

My best friend in the shop is "New Skin". Seals up the painful fingerprint cracks,scrapes and cuts. And Curels best hand lotion. I also sand my finger calluses down with an sanding board (keeps the splits to a minimum).

Last edited by MiguelsC2; 03-20-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:05 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Funny - I remember me and the 'ole man doing engine rebuilds and washing up quickly in leaded gasoline in time for dinner. Ah - those were the days !!
Old 03-20-2012, 05:15 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Funny - I remember me and the 'ole man doing engine rebuilds and washing up quickly in leaded gasoline in time for dinner. Ah - those were the days !!
Been there, done that. Also notice how all the cracks in your hands turned white after having all those natural oils dissolved. I saw a guy at a boat shop wash his hands in acetone (no gloves) to get the resin off them. When I asked him if he was wearing a barrier cream, he said 'No, I don't believe in that crap". After talking to him for a while, I found out he has had 2 major heart attacks, open heart surgery and he talked like a painter who never wore a respirator (you know the type). He was in his mid-40's.
I regret not being more careful when I was younger, but we thought we were indestructible back then.

Jim
Old 03-20-2012, 05:22 PM
Stewart Allison
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wear Cotton gloves from Toyota Australia. They work brilliant. No allergy and warm in winter. They actually give me very good fine motor skills. I have Mechanics style gloves and they are good as well. You can re wash them. Stewy
Old 03-20-2012, 07:38 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,509 Likes on 2,998 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Bill32
the Mechanix brand (their std. gloves) wear out fairly quick especially doing things like wiping stones off the slicks on pre-grid.
Isn't that what Turn 1 is for?

Jim
Old 03-20-2012, 08:11 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by 1snake
Been there, done that. Also notice how all the cracks in your hands turned white after having all those natural oils dissolved. I saw a guy at a boat shop wash his hands in acetone (no gloves) to get the resin off them. When I asked him if he was wearing a barrier cream, he said 'No, I don't believe in that crap". After talking to him for a while, I found out he has had 2 major heart attacks, open heart surgery and he talked like a painter who never wore a respirator (you know the type). He was in his mid-40's.
I regret not being more careful when I was younger, but we thought we were indestructible back then.

Jim
I have read the studies that say immersing your skin in oil will/can cause you severe medical problems.

I also had the opportunity to supervise many folks who were metal repair finish people in an assembly plant. These guys used up about ten pair of cotton/canvas gloves a day, rubbing down metal that were absolutely drenched in metal that were soaked in draw die oil. Their job was to rub the metal, find any defect and repair it.

Now, these same people also wound up retiring from the company and as far as I know, led longer, productive lives doing something else.

The ones that didn't fare so well were the ones that worked in the lead booth. The place where lead was melted and smeared on body seams and then ground to a final finish. Lot's of these guys wound up getting lung cancer. But, it's difficult to tell what caused the lung cancer as alsmost all of them smoked cigarettes.

Don't know, it could be dangerous to dip your hands in gasoline or kerosene but I've been doing it for a LONG time.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:24 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

How many of us got a mouthful of leaded gas siphoning?

I had a "lead man" do some work on an old Ferrari about 10 yrs ago. He was a "master" had been doing it for 40+yrs. He was 60 looked 80 and talked like 100.

He smoked like a smoke stack and had his head right in those lead fumes.No respirator.

He died a few yrs later.
A few yrs back I was having some health issues. I was tested for heavy metal contamination. None to speak of.

I had my hands in leaded gas from 69-77.I broke down and cleaned over 600 classic shotguns as a gunsmith (loaded with lead deposits) over 10 yrs. No contamination.

I deduce it will take an awfull high exposure rate to poison you.

Last edited by MiguelsC2; 03-20-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:31 AM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Stewart Allison
I wear Cotton gloves from Toyota Australia. They work brilliant. No allergy and warm in winter. They actually give me very good fine motor skills. I have Mechanics style gloves and they are good as well. You can re wash them. Stewy
And just HOW would you know if they are warm in the winter Stewy?
Old 03-21-2012, 12:37 AM
IGO200
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

I've used "Mechanix Wear" (or similar) ever since they became available (mid 80's?). I wish I had had them available in the 70's, but then I wouldn't have developed that entertaining ability to hold really hot stuff that other people would drop. To me they are essential tools now. My hands get really sore now (arthritis) when I'm working on a big job, like suspension or loading/unloading or at the track all day, and the gloves help quite a bit because I don't have to use as much strength to grip something.
When in a hurry at the races you can work faster without injury. I use a clean pair when assembling engines, not for measuring stuff of course, but when torquing heads, mains, etc. You just don't get as fatigued or tired. I'm a big fan.
Like many of us I've spent hundreds of hours washing parts in what are now illegal solvents. Never used rubber gloves until recently, mostly because the new stuff seems to dry my hands out more.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:32 AM
Stewart Allison
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon
And just HOW would you know if they are warm in the winter Stewy?
Not like you smart Canadians we Aussies try to wear shorts all year round. When it starts to get colder we might put long sleeves on and long pants. When we should really be using thick jackets and so forth. We live in denial. So we bloody freeze all the time from incorrect clothing. Hence the cotton gloves keep me warm !

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do you wear mechanic's gloves?