C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Think of switching to Mono leaf

Old 02-11-2013, 06:16 PM
TOM WILLARD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put vbp mono leaf on mine and sits very high got some super long bolts and lowered it but the spring and bolts are hitting the inside edge of he wheels. I wanted to lower mine not raise it when I purchased the spring. What a pain.[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by TOM WILLARD; 02-11-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:40 PM
mikey
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

tom,
that doesn't look right at all! what lb spring did you install? also, do not tighten the center mount fully until weight is back on the wheels.
spring end bolts should not have to be more than an inch or three longer than stock to get as low as you would ever want.

also note that the spring height will settle as soon as you take it out for first drive. if all you did was set it down after lifting it to install spring, then it could sit quite high at first.

what shocks do you have paired with the spring?
Old 02-11-2013, 08:41 PM
mikey
Melting Slicks

also seems you have a fair amount of backspace on those tires.. what are the wheel dimensions?
Old 02-12-2013, 12:13 AM
TOM WILLARD
Instructor

I cant remember the spring weight but i think its a 330. The rear wheels are 20x10.5 with between 5.25-5.5 backspace. I am thinking of going 18x10 but not sure. I wanted the car to be slammed to the ground but this setup wont work as it is. Maybe coilovers? I have spent a lot money on offset t arms leaf spring ect. and its not looking like i want. I dont have shocks yet but i was going to order bilsteins.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:28 AM
mikey
Melting Slicks

for that much backspace, you need double offset arms and a spring that is 1" shorter on each end (2" overall shorter).

take a look at the vansteel coil over kit. probably a better option at this point than buying the other trailing arms.

paul or danny is who you should talk to over there.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:03 PM
TOM WILLARD
Instructor

I called vpb and they are super nice guys. I told them my car looks like a monster truck and they told me to send back old spring and they can custom build one for me. So anyone looking to get a spring should call them first and they will be happy to help. Thanks everyone

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Think of switching to Mono leaf