C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1963 SWC Oil Pan Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 11:45 AM
xkeots
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 1963 SWC Oil Pan Question

Hi All!,

My car is in a 3 car tandem steel garage. It is the last one in.
I just noticed a pool of oil on the floor under the battery, under the right fender.
Due to the fact of it is on 3 tarps on top of dirt. I really can't go under the car.
I have to pull it out and work on it after a 30 minute pull out.
I am not sure if it is a oil pan gasket or a valve cover cover leak after the car was running for 10 minutes 4 times over the winter.
There is a slight slant on the ground so the oil might have ran a bit.
I see oil in the valley side of the intake so it just might be the valve cover gasket.
I just want to know, if I have to change the oil pan gasket, can it be done on the car?
It is a 327/300 stock motor.
I bought this car in December 2010 and I use it very little.
I just rebuilt the carb and when I was done I found this oil leak and the brake master was empty.
I just ordered that kit.
I hope that it is a simple gasket as there are no oil lines under the right fender.
Besides that, the case runs strong.

Thanks
Jack,
1963 SWC
1977 L-82

Last edited by xkeots; 03-25-2012 at 11:46 AM. Reason: wording
Old 03-25-2012, 01:37 PM
rongold
Drifting

Location: Putnam Valley, New York. Amateur Radio Operator K2NS
Received 163 Likes on 116 Posts

Default Leak

Originally Posted by xkeots
Hi All!,

I just rebuilt the carb and when I was done I found this oil leak and the brake master was empty.
I just ordered that kit.
I hope that it is a simple gasket as there are no oil lines under the right fender.
Besides that, the case runs strong.

Thanks
Jack,
1963 SWC
1977 L-82
There is no problem pulling the oil pan on a midyear with the engine in the car. Just pull the starter, unbolt the idler arm and pull it with the steering linkage downward, and then unbolt & remove the pan.

However, you also said that your master cylinder was empty---This sounds more like a rotted brake line or leaking wheel cylinder than a leaking oil pan.

RON
Old 03-25-2012, 01:45 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by rongold
There is no problem pulling the oil pan on a midyear with the engine in the car. Just pull the starter, unbolt the idler arm and pull it with the steering linkage downward, and then unbolt & remove the pan.
It also helps to turn the crank until the timing index line on the balancer is at the 5 o'clock position (as viewed from the front); that gets the front counterweight up out of the way and provides more removal clearance at the front of the pan.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:50 PM
xkeots
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rongold

However, you also said that your master cylinder was empty---This sounds more like a rotted brake line or leaking wheel cylinder than a leaking oil pan.

RON
Hi Ron,

I am rebuilding my M/C as soon as the kit arrives. It is leaking out.
I do have a bit of motor oil under the front right fender under the battery.
I am guessing the possibilities.
I am first changing the valve cover gaskets, as I do have a little oil on the intake. I was wondering if there was a leak in the bottom of the valve cover gasket too, causing the oil on the floor when I had the motor running.
I was asking about pan removal for last scenario.

Jack

Last edited by xkeots; 03-27-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:22 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,465 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

If the valve covers leak, it just trickles down the side of the block most often. Oil sitting in the depressions of the manifold could indicate oil being sucked up through the center bolts along with bad VC gaskets. Thread sealer is needed to stop the bolt leaks. Your right front rubber brake line connects to the back of your brake cylinder via a brass block attached at the frame. My guess is that is the location (fluid runs down the frame rail) of your fluid loss and the puddle on the floor under the battery. I would go over the brake system on this car with a fine tooth comb for other possible leaks or potential ones, especially the rubber hoses. After you do that and all is well....drive the car way more often Dennis
Old 03-29-2012, 09:59 AM
xkeots
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
If the valve covers leak, it just trickles down the side of the block most often. Oil sitting in the depressions of the manifold could indicate oil being sucked up through the center bolts along with bad VC gaskets. Thread sealer is needed to stop the bolt leaks. Your right front rubber brake line connects to the back of your brake cylinder via a brass block attached at the frame. My guess is that is the location (fluid runs down the frame rail) of your fluid loss and the puddle on the floor under the battery. I would go over the brake system on this car with a fine tooth comb for other possible leaks or potential ones, especially the rubber hoses. After you do that and all is well....drive the car way more often Dennis
Hi Dennis,

The brake fluid is running down the firewall on the drivers side under the master, so I am rebuilding the master.
There is a small pool of motor oil on the ground under the battery which is on the passengers side.
There are no hoses in the fender so I can only guess valve cover leak, on the motor oil as there is some motor oil on top of the intake too, until I can get the brakes back and pull the car to a spot I can jack it up and look.
If the oil was on drivers side I would guess loose oil filter.
I hate guessing but I have to buy a piece of plywood so I can jack up the car.

Thanks
Jack

Get notified of new replies

To 1963 SWC Oil Pan Question

Quick Reply: 1963 SWC Oil Pan Question