C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Transmission shifter and linkage delima

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 04:26 PM
dharris45
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Transmission shifter and linkage delima

I put this question on the NCRS forum, but haven't found a solution yet.

This is a 66. When I bought the car last year the back up lights didn't work. What I discovered was that the back up light switch on the transmission was missing so I bought a replacement. I also bought a shifter linkage kit as Reverse Rod was all beat up on the jam nut end, and the Reverse and 1/2 levers on the transmission were not correct. Not sure what they are from.

I took everything loose from the transmission, replaced the Reverse Rod, put the levers on, then fashioned me a neutral position guide to insert in the slot in the shifter. Got it back together then looked inside the car and my shifter shaft was laying all the way back in the console.

Somehow I got the shifter shaft out of neutral and out of sync with the shifter levers and can't get it back.

There has to be a sequence and position for the shifter levers that allows the stick to be returned to the correct poistion!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been under the car and played with different positions of the R, 3/4, 1/2 shifter levers to try and get the shifter stick back to a center neutral position with now luck. Someone out there must know the secret.

The problem is that I am unable to get the shifter shaft in the car to a neutral position and at the same time get the shifter levers into a netural position. Somehow while I had all the rods loose from the transmission and was replacing the Reverse Rod, the shifter levers got into some sequence that allow the shift arm to drop to the back of the console. If I push the shifter shaft forward in the car, it is engaged with the 3/4 lever and pulls that lever out of neutral position. I was able to play with the shifter levers and finally engage the shifter shaft with the 1/2 lever but the same problem. Moving the shaft to neutral pulled the 1/2 lever out of neutral. (Note: I do not have the rods connected at the transmission end so that I can manually move the shifter levers while my wife help position the shifter in the car.
Attached Images   
Old 03-30-2012, 04:39 PM
66BlkBB
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

You are using the the wrong alignment slot. Look at this photo. The oblong slot in the middle of the shifter is the one you use the set up the shift pattern.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:46 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by 66BlkBB
You are using the the wrong alignment
This is how it's supposed to look in neutral.

Jim
Old 03-30-2012, 05:37 PM
dharris45
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 66BlkBB
You are using the the wrong alignment slot. Look at this photo. The oblong slot in the middle of the shifter is the one you use the set up the shift pattern.

That is the slot I was using. The photo I had just shows how the shifter levers align when the Locating Gauge is in the slot shown in your picture.

I got a direct response from Tom Parsons, and looks like I am going to have to remove the shifter from the transmission. I still don't exactly understand what I did, but Tom said there is a pin in the shifter shaft that slipped out of position and about the only way to get it back into position is with the shifter out of the car. Still don't understand how I got to this, but now I'll see if it is possible to get the shifter out.

Looks like I'll have to remove the rear tranny support to be able to get the shifter out.

This really sucks
Old 03-30-2012, 06:02 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by dharris45
I also bought a shifter linkage kit as Reverse Rod was all beat up on the jam nut end, and the Reverse and 1/2 levers on the transmission were not correct. Not sure what they are from.
Are the 1-2 and 3-4 levers pointing UP as shown in Jim's photo above? The neutral gage slot is at the bottom center of the shifter housing, as shown in the photo below.
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission shifter and linkage delima

Quick Reply: Transmission shifter and linkage delima