C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Super T10 in a C1(61)

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 12:21 AM
street62
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I didn't have any clearance problems . as far as the drive shaft goes I had a new one made up with the first design super t-10, I don't remember if I had to change the length. But I would not use a stock unit . Have a new one made up withe a chrome molly tube. When you have the trans in just push the yoke in as far as it will go and pull it out 1 inch and measure the distance from the center to center of the u joints, make shure you have the weight on the rear axle. I don't run a 4 speed any more but i still have that trans with the shifter I will take a picture of the adapter plate and send it to you.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:18 PM
NOM61
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by street62
I didn't have any clearance problems . as far as the drive shaft goes I had a new one made up with the first design super t-10, I don't remember if I had to change the length. But I would not use a stock unit . Have a new one made up withe a chrome molly tube. When you have the trans in just push the yoke in as far as it will go and pull it out 1 inch and measure the distance from the center to center of the u joints, make shure you have the weight on the rear axle. I don't run a 4 speed any more but i still have that trans with the shifter I will take a picture of the adapter plate and send it to you.
Pictures would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Do you recall if you had to modify the shift linkage at all?

I've decided to go ahead with the ST10 swap. It gets me the ratios I need (with room to go to a 3.08 diff if the highway rpm really begins to bug me) for the same cost as a rebuilt muncie.

I will do my best to document the swap for future reference.

Thanks for everyone's input, advice and offers!

DT
Old 04-16-2012, 08:28 PM
street62
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by NOM61
Pictures would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Do you recall if you had to modify the shift linkage at all?

I've decided to go ahead with the ST10 swap. It gets me the ratios I need (with room to go to a 3.08 diff if the highway rpm really begins to bug me) for the same cost as a rebuilt muncie.

I will do my best to document the swap for future reference.

Thanks for everyone's input, advice and offers!

DT
The linkage I used was the original linkage for the standard T10 that was original to the car (hurt competition plus) no linkage modifications done either.

Here's some pictures

Old 04-17-2012, 12:38 PM
NOM61
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The linkage I used was the original linkage for the standard T10 that was original to the car (hurt competition plus) no linkage modifications done either.
Perfect! I just so happen to have a Hurst w/ linkage on the shelf. Sometimes it pays to be a packrat!
So it looks like I will have to:
1. Replace clutch disk.
2. Make adapter plate to reposition shifter.
3. Modify or make new driveshaft for 32 spline yoke and check for proper length.

Thanks for the pics!

DT
Old 04-27-2012, 06:18 PM
TxPres
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 62 came with a t-10. I have had many transmisions. 1st desine super t-10 with an iron case and the 2nd disine super t-10 with an iron case also a 2.88 first gear. I used a hurst comp plus shifter , I had to make an adapter plate out of some 3/16 inch steel that mounted on the trans first with som flat head cap screws, then drilled and tapped holes to remount the shifter in it's new location.I had to get a new yoke that was for 32 spline and made a new drive shaft.
Finally!! I have been trying to install my T-10 in my '66 roadster.
With everything in proper position, the 3/4 lever on the hurst shifter hits the top of the crossmember where the exhaust goes thru. I have tried raising the transmission, but then the front u-joint hits the tunnel.
Your adapter plate would allow me to raise the shifter slightly while leaving the transmission at the right level.
Thanks! At least I know a solution! What a great tool the search function is. Now I just need to fab an adapter plate.

Quick Reply: Super T10 in a C1(61)