C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Purchased 66 Vette yesterday. Looking for advice.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 09:01 AM
David Mc
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hey, no fair. I'm also a Suburban fan!!! I wish I never sold mine.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:20 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Lose the 'murdered out' sidepipes....they have an 'unfinished' look that detracts from the stunning visage of the rest of the car.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:41 AM
1966STER
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First congratulations, the car is drop dead beautiiful!!

You going to get lots of good suggestions and there all good; however, I will offer mine.

I tend to be a purist so this may seem a bit conservative, but since you asked; this is what I would do:

1. I would attempt to obtain the exact paint specs from the body shop who did the work.
2. I would then have the hood repainted to as to remove the black detail, the bit of black on the nose wll be more difficult; but, I suspect a good body shop could handle that as well -------------- this brings the paint to 1966 factory appearance.
3. I would install a correct looking side exhaust and rocker trim --- a new set from Corvette Specialties would look great ----------- because of the 502 power I would go with 2.50 pipes for breathing ---- headers or exhaust manifolds would be a decission you will have to make ---------- I would prefer exhaust manifolds ---- it's going be loud in any case!!! SO WHAT !!!!
4. I would replace the 502 valve covers with correct reproduction 66 orange covers assuming they will fit? ---- I believe they will!
5. I would replace the large coil with a smaller version and install new reproduction chrome shielding.
6. I would replace the 425 with a 450 HP decal !!!
7. I would replace any other after market items under the hood that look out of place with correct reprodution parts.
8. I would reverse the raised white letters tires to black walls on the outside.

So, that's what I would do ----------- not trying to create a NCRS car, just a plan to get as close as possible to the integrity of the the 1966 Corvette.

Rabvet

Last edited by 1966STER; 02-15-2013 at 04:45 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:49 AM
66L72
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Fawndeuce
Cool looking car!
I personally don't care for sidepipese, I like to drive my cars a lot and I find that the noise gets tiring in short order.

I also wouldn't go with C5 seats, I personally have always found that they look silly, and that they absolutely don't look right in a C2, double especially a roadster.

Paul

With everything you said

The seat backs are just too high. However I do have a set of zO6 c6 seats for sale to anyone else
Old 02-15-2013, 01:13 PM
00fxd
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

If you don't hate those sidepipes I would suggest keeping them. Many believe [myself included] that those hookers are the best out of the box exhaust system for these cars, especially large displacement engines. With STS baffles mine are not too loud, just right. I think they look great on these cars. You may prefer the chrome - or repaint your existing units. BBQ paint worked very well for me. I'm getting into the black-out, low maintenance look. And building a pair of simple heat guards is very easy and recommended.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:18 PM
Marks Hotrod Garage
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by David Mc
Hey, no fair. I'm also a Suburban fan!!! I wish I never sold mine.
I first want to say the picture was not originally staged but when I was taking the picture I thought cool........you guys can see a few more of my Chevy's. I have always been a shiny kind of guy but have gotten into the black wheels. Its a 66 Burb and we just finished painting, suspension, and new interior. I was planning on selling it but I like it too much.

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Lose the 'murdered out' sidepipes....they have an 'unfinished' look that detracts from the stunning visage of the rest of the car.
I have been on again off again on the pipes. I need to replace them, remove them, or paint them. At this time I am going to paint them to buy a little time until I get the rest of the car finished.

Originally Posted by 1967STER
First congratulations, the car is drop dead beautiiful!!

1. I would attempt to obtain the exact paint specs from the body shop who did the work.
2. I would then have the hood repainted to as to remove the black detail, the bit of black on the nose wll be more difficult; but, I suspect a good body shop could handle that as well -------------- this brings the paint to 1966 factory appearance.
3. I would install a correct looking side exhaust and rocker trim --- a new set from Corvette Specialties would look great ----------- because of the 502 power I would go with 2.50 pipes for breathing ---- headers or exhaust manifolds would be a decission you will have to make ---------- I would prefer exhaust manifolds ---- it's going be loud in any case!!! SO WHAT !!!!
4. I would replace the 502 valve covers with correct reproduction 66 orange covers assuming they will fit? ---- I believe they will!
5. I would replace the large coil with a smaller version and install new reproduction chrome shielding.
6. I would replace the 425 with a 450 HP decal !!!
7. I would replace any other after market items under the hood that look out of place with correct reprodution parts.
8. I would reverse the raised white letters tires to black walls on the outside.

Rabvet
Yes, I would love more factory looking pipes. I love your idea on the reproduction valve covers. I do not care for the 502 valve covers. Yes on the decal and agree on the tires.

Originally Posted by 00fxd
If you don't hate those sidepipes I would suggest keeping them. Many believe [myself included] that those hookers are the best out of the box exhaust system for these cars, especially large displacement engines. And building a pair of simple heat guards is very easy and recommended.
I picked up some black exhaust manifold paint today. I am going to remove, sand, and paint the pipes. As for the header area I will sand them on the car and paint them and see how it looks.

I really appreciate all of the ideas.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:54 PM
Marks Hotrod Garage
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 35 Posts

We painted the sidepipes today with header painted. I would have preferred a satin finish but it dried more on the flat side. We do have the technology here to build some stainless covers for the pipes but I am not sure how long these pipes will stay on.

I also got the wheels off to have the tires reversed to get rid of the white walls. Anytime I get the tires and wheels off of something my head starts thinking..........man I have to buy some new wheels!! I am hoping that thought goes away. I got my decals and my new factory chrome valve covers ordered today along with some other goodies from Wilcox.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:17 AM
corvettekent
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 46 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

My '66 Sting Ray had the same black out on the hood when I bought it but as you can see not any more.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:53 AM
FastEddy
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you drive it alot you will have to keep touching up the paint. I always just kept a spray can in the car. Water hitting them when hot stains them the most. I found that when the paint reaches a certain thickness, it will start to flake off at the hottest points, like right before and after a muffler insert. Started with black for bit, then went to white. I am finally going to send mine out for ceramic coating after almost 2 years.

Quick Reply: Purchased 66 Vette yesterday. Looking for advice.