C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

'62 Hardtop Questions & Advise

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 01:15 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,901 Likes on 883 Posts

Default '62 Hardtop Questions & Advise

I have finally decided to get my old hardtop down and restore it. This has been up in the garage rafters for just a hair shy of 20 years.

Fortunately, I've kept a step by step instructional sheet provided by Stan's Customs, but I do have a few questions.

1. The rear glass identification states : A4 4-62 Plexiglass. The plexiglass is not in the best of shape with several surface scratches. Do you think I would be able to use the new cleaners designed for headlight lens to take the scratches out of this plexiglass?

2. I'll need new quarter windows. Does anybody here have any recommendations for replacement windows?

3. Obviously there's a lot of weatherstripping in several locations. Again, looking for recommendations of good quality rubber for total replacement.

Any help is greatly appreciated. It looks like the only items missing are a center section clip located on the large stainless trim at the top of the rear window, and both of the front clips that lock the hardtop to the windshield frame. Of course I'll have to polish and straighten several stainless parts, but all in all it looks pretty good.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Pat
Old 04-30-2012, 06:38 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Glassworks has everything you need - a complete repair kit; or individual components:
http://www.thehardtopshop.com/page.cfm?id=1476

I used the Janvil plexiglass polishing system for my hardtop plexi and it worked great -- there are some other similar products around I'm sure. I wouldn't use those silly headlight kits for anything - even headlights.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:05 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

You need to purchase micro mesh sandpaper. It is a finer than fine grit from 1500 to 12,000. You can really stop when you get to about 8,000 grit. Here is a place to purchase

http://www.woodcraft.com/family/2004014/2004014.aspx

I liked to use the polishing compound from Glassworks. I felt it was the best when I did my hardtop.

Don't buy the kit for polishing from glassworks, the amount of micro mesh they give is really for a few scratches.

Having said all the above, and not knowing what your rear glass looks like, I would purchase new from Glassworks. Polishing a complete rear window inside and out would not be a good use of my time. Now if you have the time, go for it. But if you have a lot of things to do with your time, save it for something else......my 2 cents having done my 1960 rear glass.......BTW, when you are putting the barrel screws back in, I would strongly suggest using some green body tape on the glass all along the bottom and then put a piece of duct tape on top of that. Otherwise you will get the chance to take out a few more scratches......ask me how I know!
Old 04-30-2012, 01:17 PM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Hardtop

Thanks for the information guys.

I knew I could count on somebody with experience here on this forum, rather than going at it alone and probably end up doing it twice!
Old 04-30-2012, 01:26 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 428 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by ptjsk
I have finally decided to get my old hardtop down and restore it. This has been up in the garage rafters for just a hair shy of 20 years.

Fortunately, I've kept a step by step instructional sheet provided by Stan's Customs, but I do have a few questions.

1. The rear glass identification states : A4 4-62 Plexiglass. The plexiglass is not in the best of shape with several surface scratches. Do you think I would be able to use the new cleaners designed for headlight lens to take the scratches out of this plexiglass?

2. I'll need new quarter windows. Does anybody here have any recommendations for replacement windows?

3. Obviously there's a lot of weatherstripping in several locations. Again, looking for recommendations of good quality rubber for total replacement.

Pat
Pat, I am starting a similar project on my 59 hardtop. Mine required complete readjusting of the windows, and lots of tweaking to get it to fit right on the car (a project in itself). Test fit the top before you disassemble it to make sure all the gaps still look good on the car first.

I decided to Micro-Mesh my original dated windows since they are in good shape but scratched. I have not done the Corvette windows yet, but have had very good success usuing Micro-Mesh on aviation windshields (plexiglass) and have every confidence I will get a good result here as well.

Once you start to take it apart, some of the barrel screws may break off the studs and you will have to play it by ear on how the retainers for the moldings look once you get them apart. Fortunately, everything IS now available if something breaks or is rusted.

The best weatherstrip is the one made by Corvette Rubber . Nice and soft and a good fit, which is a big help when installling the rear window. They make a special hollow drill bit for the molding stud holes that will need to be drilled in the new window seal.

Prices on the Micro Mesh kits vary greatly, so shop around. Pilot Dan
Old 04-30-2012, 02:00 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

You know you are ready to move to the next finer micro mesh when it starts to slide...you will feel the difference......use polish last
Old 04-04-2015, 08:03 PM
bd hbt
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Any help is greatly appreciated. It looks like the only items missing are a center section clip located on the large stainless trim at the top of the rear window, and both of the front clips that lock the hardtop to the windshield frame. Of course I'll have to polish and straighten several stainless parts, but all in all it looks pretty good.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Pat
I know this is an old thread, but on the off chance that you'll see this, would you happen to have the Stan's Customs instructional sheet that you reference? I have a 62 hardtop that I'm going to start. Thx.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:08 PM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bd hbt
I know this is an old thread, but on the off chance that you'll see this, would you happen to have the Stan's Customs instructional sheet that you reference? I have a 62 hardtop that I'm going to start. Thx.
Actually....I think I do have hard copies of the instructions.

I will have to use them once again because my hardtop was never returned after our car was stolen.

So I do have another hard top, and I'll see if I can dig up the instructions.

Pat
Old 04-05-2015, 11:57 AM
bd hbt
Instructor

Actually....I think I do have hard copies of the instructions.

I will have to use them once again because my hardtop was never returned after our car was stolen.

So I do have another hard top, and I'll see if I can dig up the instructions.

Pat
If you find it, I'll happily cover any expenses for a copy. Thx.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:56 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

One of the Corvette magazines did this article on hardtop restorations. It pretty slim but it's something. It would be nice to get the more complete instructions.

Here's another article that's a little more complete.

I think I have to finish the interior first so I have plenty of time.

The interesting thing is how the hardtop just totally transforms the car. It's a totally different driving experience.

If anyone else is doing their hardtop I'll be glad to do mine at the same time. We could sort of learn together.

Richard Newton

Last edited by rfn026; 04-05-2015 at 01:12 PM.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:09 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

In have cleaned up a few C1 hardtop rear windows using 1500 and 2000 wet paper and soapy water for lubricant.
When done sanding I used 3M medium buffing compound then finished with the 3M black finishing buffing compound.
They both look great.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:25 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Glassworks has done a number of vids on this topic.

Richard Newton
My '58 Interior Project

Last edited by rfn026; 04-06-2015 at 07:27 AM.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:23 PM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I have been going through my shop, and have yet to find the paperwork I referenced!!!

I'm certain I didn't throw it away, so I'll keep looking.

I may have to find it just as I found them before, on the internet.

I do need another set as I now have another hard top to complete.

Fortunately, as others have pointed out on here, there are several videos and how to instruction from several individuals.

Pat
Old 04-06-2015, 03:43 PM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

FOUND IT!!!!

I went back into the archives and found the restoration under Stan's Custom.

I replied to it, so it would show up on the first page again.

I'm currently making a copy myself!

Thanks again Stan!

Pat
Old 04-06-2015, 08:58 PM
bd hbt
Instructor

FOUND IT!!!!

I went back into the archives and found the restoration under Stan's Custom.

I replied to it, so it would show up on the first page again.

I'm currently making a copy myself!

Thanks again Stan!

Pat
Great! How do I get a copy?
Old 04-06-2015, 09:02 PM
bd hbt
Instructor

Great! How do I get a copy?
DUH! Never mind.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:00 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

A little trick that no one talks about is using bronze wool to clean stainless and chrome.

Richard Newton
The Interior Project

Get notified of new replies

To '62 Hardtop Questions & Advise

Old 05-01-2017, 10:15 PM
BillbUrruss
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stan's customs hardtop instruction

DUH! Never mind.
Can you lead me to these instructions?
Old 05-02-2017, 12:30 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BillbUrruss
Just do a search for Stan's Customs, and send him a PM requesting his instructional sheet.

I looked in the archives, but was not able to find it anywhere in the 15 pages that came up.

I've done two now, I must be getting good....NOT!

But it is possible to do them!

Pat

Last edited by ptjsk; 05-02-2017 at 12:34 AM.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:46 AM
bd hbt
Instructor

Default Try this link

Originally Posted by BillbUrruss
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-teardown.html
The following 2 users liked this post by bd hbt:
Canuck62 (05-02-2017), ptjsk (05-02-2017)

Quick Reply: '62 Hardtop Questions & Advise