C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

a different kind of paranoia....

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 10:30 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Default a different kind of paranoia....

Jackfit may have the most insight into this, considering his lonnnnng trip....

i am planning to take the trip i planned to take several years ago but didn't because of reliability concerns with my EFI conversion. now that i have a 'warm fuzzy' and adequate spare parts, i plan on possibly driving a 7500 mile loop into Canada and around the county.

with the exception of parking in someones garage, or at best their driveway, while in unfamiliar territory; how does one feel safe in parking their car, mainly to prevent it being stolen?

Bill
Old 05-02-2012, 10:36 AM
54greg
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I find the club a great deterant. Ins and a cell phone then your home again and searching for a new vette in the very worst of circumstances but good or bad your always richer for the miles of smiles
The following users liked this post:
ganshert (02-19-2019)
Old 05-02-2012, 10:48 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Default Common sense parking

Originally Posted by wmf62
Jackfit may have the most insight into this, considering his lonnnnng trip....

i am planning to take the trip i planned to take several years ago but didn't because of reliability concerns with my EFI conversion. now that i have a 'warm fuzzy' and adequate spare parts, i plan on possibly driving a 7500 mile loop into Canada and around the county.

with the exception of parking in someones garage, or at best their driveway, while in unfamiliar territory; how does one feel safe in parking their car, mainly to prevent it being stolen?

Bill
Hi Bill,

Your concern is real , but not as great as you think. When I had to stay at a motel or other non member house, I would ask the motel or hotel if I could park close to the front office etc.

I would tell them that if a tow truck shows up , it is not me and to call police. But on the whole, I did not have many concerns about theft.

When you park, put your car in a position that would make it difficult for a car carrier to get at your car.

I stayed out of most big cities to avoid problems, and when I did go into cities, I would use a parking garage.

Go for your ride, have good insurance to replace your car if needed and don't worry too much. Most people will look after your car if you ask.....

Don't worry about break downs, you will not be more than a few hours from forum members who can help.

Let people on forum know your approximate route before you leave, and ask them them if you can call them if needed for help.

You never are alone.....just give a call over the forum and enjoy the ride

Jack

PS Run your car ragged and hard before the trip....if something is going to give out, make it happen before you leave. I have found lack of use hurts the car , more than constant driving....200 or 300 miles of hard driving should show any problems......

Last edited by Jackfit; 05-02-2012 at 10:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ganshert (02-19-2019)
Old 05-02-2012, 11:19 AM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackfit
Hi Bill,

Your concern is real , but not as great as you think. When I had to stay at a motel or other non member house, I would ask the motel or hotel if I could park close to the front office etc.

I would tell them that if a tow truck shows up , it is not me and to call police. But on the whole, I did not have many concerns about theft.

When you park, put your car in a position that would make it difficult for a car carrier to get at your car.

I stayed out of most big cities to avoid problems, and when I did go into cities, I would use a parking garage.

Go for your ride, have good insurance to replace your car if needed and don't worry too much. Most people will look after your car if you ask.....

Don't worry about break downs, you will not be more than a few hours from forum members who can help.

Let people on forum know your approximate route before you leave, and ask them them if you can call them if needed for help.

You never are alone.....just give a call over the forum and enjoy the ride

Jack

PS Run your car ragged and hard before the trip....if something is going to give out, make it happen before you leave. I have found lack of use hurts the car , more than constant driving....200 or 300 miles of hard driving should show any problems......
I would say that is some great advice! The only other part I would add is to carry a small weapon......just because! Good luck!
Old 05-02-2012, 11:48 AM
Willie'sVette
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackfit
......snip... I would ask the motel or hotel if I could park close to the front office etc.

I would tell them that if a tow truck shows up , it is not me and to call police. ........snip......
Couple of months ago Willie & I stayed at a Marriott...I told them I have a collector car & could I park it in front of the Bell Station....no problem....before bed I covered it...didn't want to press my luck & do it sooner.

That tow truck statement is great...I'll be using that next time.

Originally Posted by OldKarz
I would say that is some great advice! The only other part I would add is to carry a small weapon......just because! Good luck!
Haven't crossed a border lately, but it could be a prob for him...

also could mean jail if caught in various states....I know that if a deadly emergency (more than a property crime) happens, it might be helpful....but is it worth the risk
Old 05-02-2012, 11:49 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Willie'sVette
Couple of months ago Willie & I stayed at a Marriott...I told them I have a collector car & could I park it in front of the Bell Station....no problem....before bed I covered it...didn't want to press my luck & do it sooner.

That tow truck statement is great...I'll be using that next time.

Haven't crossed a border lately, but it could be a prob for him...

also could mean jail if caught in various states....I know that if a deadly emergency (more than a property crime) happens, it might be helpful....but is it worth the risk
Pete
both are food for thought...
Bill
Old 05-02-2012, 11:53 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,543 Likes on 2,159 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

When I drove across country in 2000 I always started looking for a motel about 2 hours before sunset. I always stayed in the one floor, park at your door, old style motels. I avoided motels/hotels that required parking out in the middle of the parking lot out of sight and earshot. They are getting harder to find but are worth the effort and piece of mind IMO.

Have fun
Old 05-02-2012, 12:01 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,008 Likes on 2,528 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

By all means, go for it! A long trip in a Vette is an adventure you will always look back fondly on. While not a C-1, 3 years ago the better half and I put 6600 miles on our '92 in 3 weeks. Mt Rushmore, Yellowstone and Canadian Rockies - from western NY state.

I took the approach of replacing several items on the C-4 which did not necessarily need it - belt, alternator, coil, fuel pump, various other things. I reasoned I had had the car less than a year and had no idea of their age.

Once I had done all I could, we set out and I put any worrying out of mind. After all it's a car, I knew it was in decent shape, and I figured there is no point worrying "what if". Other than an air conditioning issue which was resolved after the first week, we had no problems. We love looking at the pictures, our friends are envious, and we're thinking of heading for Oklahoma, Texas and who knows where else this summer.

You're doing it right - ask questions and make plans now. Once you hit "D-Day" leave the paranoia at home and concentrate on the fun.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:05 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by OldKarz
Not if he's coming to Canada. No nasty bangs-bangs allowed (or required) here.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:39 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Default It’s easy once you get going!

20,000 miles, 48 Ststes, 90 days and hundreds of friends that put up with me across America.

So , for those thinking about it , just hit road..GPS , AAA, and thousands of Corvette people to help you out.

Jack
aka Corvette Vagabond
Old 02-19-2019, 04:24 PM
1Cerberus4u
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

JackFit has great advice. I travel and typically try to stay at nice hotels and ask if I can park in front and have never been turned down or had any issues.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:20 AM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Paranoia may ruin any great trip. I caught the theft fear and had to put a battery disconnect, steering lock, and hood lock on R66 to slow down the local joy rider. There is no defense against the professionals. Stayed overnight at a motel and got robbed - they charged me for 2 nights and I only stayed one. No one violated the car.

It is just a car, it can be replaced, insure it, drive it, and enjoy it - OR - restore it and put it on a pedestal and under lock and key and drive your SUV.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:04 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

If Bill’s not back from his trip yet, we need to dispatch a scouting party because it’s been 7 years.

Steve
Old 02-21-2019, 10:32 AM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,519 Likes on 2,783 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by RatDog
If Bill’s not back from his trip yet, we need to dispatch a scouting party because it’s been 7 years.

Steve
Apparently, he took a lot of pictures on his trip and he’s still trying to upload them.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:38 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,002 Posts

I have a big case hardened chain, and I chain the car to big things!!!!!
Old 02-22-2019, 02:14 AM
roadster65
Burning Brakes

Received 1,219 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by TCracingCA
I have a big case hardened chain, and I chain the car to big things!!!!!
Chain or Cable; pick your poison - Hilarious @ 2:47

Last edited by roadster65; 02-22-2019 at 02:35 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To a different kind of paranoia....

Quick Reply: a different kind of paranoia....