C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

'66 shifter options?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 06:16 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Jebbysan
It is a late 66.....why in heaven then was this the first that was modified on these cars....
I have driven slews of original cars from the 60's with 4 speeds....even some chevelles with Muncie's in them.....the shifter feels fine....you just can't overshoot it at all....

And if I drive like that....I will pay the consequences of it breaking.....
Corvettes were not built to be babied....and the day I baby mine will be the day someone else can own it. If you baby yours-fine. I do not.
I don't powershift at every light.....but I don't drive like grandpa-rehaw
either.
What exactly do the rear end gears have to do with anything?
I am confident the parts in my car will hold up....they have for 4500 miles of me "driving" like that. My car was built to be driven....and it is.

Jebby
Cars (most cars) are built to be driven, few production cars are built to be abused and the Corvette was not one of them. As for as modifications to the cars, the shifter, slotted mag wheels, fender flares, hood scoop and rear spoiler, three tailights, etc were all things that needed to be modified to have a "cool" Corvette back then. I remember it well in the first person.

In my neck of the woods, there weren't many changed over in the first few years of the cars life anyway. When they became "used cars" and the kids got hold of them and started drag racing, some were changed to Hurst. If you're gonna' race, the Hurst is the way to go. If you're gonna' cruise, it's a waste of money vs. a good, tight, stock shifter. Also, you gotta' like the notchey, high effort of the Hurst to put up with it. I don't, and yes, I've owned a number of Hurst shifted cars.

As far as the '60's muscle cars and the stock Muncie shifters, those things were all junk as soon as they took the first hard shift through the gears. That wasn't the same piece as the Corvette shifter. Believe me, I have spent my time laying on my back at the side of the road, fiddling with the shift levers to get the tranmission unlocked. Finally fixed it by reinforcing the shift lever housing with 1/8" metal stock welded to it. No more trouble.

Changing to a Hurst Shifter back then was because of the pimply faced boys, just out of puberty that owned the cars had such a unnatural fantasy toward Linda Vaughn, they somehow seemed to be in touch with her if they had the Hurst shifter in their hand. Kinda' like rubbin on Linda.!

I told ya', if you want to thrash your car, go ahead, you need the Hurst. Otherwise, a stocker in good shape, well adjusted, well lubricated works perfectly.

The OP doesn't sound like a racer, he just wants to ride.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:44 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,892 Likes on 2,564 Posts

Well said!

Jebby
Old 05-10-2012, 11:12 PM
Jimbo64
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

did the 64 muncie have both the short throw and long throw option
Old 05-11-2012, 12:02 AM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by MikeM
Changing to a Hurst Shifter back then was because of the pimply faced boys, just out of puberty that owned the cars had such a unnatural fantasy toward Linda Vaughn, they somehow seemed to be in touch with her if they had the Hurst shifter in their hand. Kinda' like rubbin on Linda.!
Huh?....it seemed pretty natural to me!

Old 05-11-2012, 06:22 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon
Huh?....it seemed pretty natural to me!
Yep! That smile(?) probably sold more Hurst shifters than anything else. Smart move on George Hurst's part to hire her for PR's.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:11 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbo64
did the 64 muncie have both the short throw and long throw option
Look at the 1-2 and 3-4 shift levers on the side cover - if they have two holes (one at the end, and another one closer to the pivot), like the one in the photo below, you can connect the rods to the holes closer to the pivot to set it up as short-throw.
Attached Images  
Old 05-11-2012, 01:24 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Great photo!

I can see exactly why I get locked up in a 2-3 powershift now.

maybe I could weld my own stops on

Jebby
Old 05-11-2012, 02:18 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Great photo!

I can see exactly why I get locked up in a 2-3 powershift now.

Jebby
You can also bias the adjustment on your shift linkage a little toward third gear to help stop the locking up.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:22 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

You can also bias the adjustment on your shift linkage a little toward third gear to help stop the locking up.
I did think of that! I am a little in the opposite direction right now....I believe from a strong third hit.....as the last time I adjusted it they were dead even.....
Good idea....thanks for posting it.....I sometimes don't elaborate my thoughts from the wasteland of my mind

Hey it is free!

Jebby
Old 05-11-2012, 04:14 PM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Yep! That smile(?) probably sold more Hurst shifters than anything else. Smart move on George Hurst's part to hire her for PR's.
Mike, you might have won the argument that a good well adjusted OEM shifter will work as well as a Hurst for a while, but it wasn't her smile that sold all those shifters. You must be zoomed into the picture too far. Zoom out man, zoom out!

I just noticed you put a (?) after smile. Sorry.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:29 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

It got locked in third last night on the way to cruise night at the burger joint.......

Hurst is going in soon.....this sucks....

Jebby
Old 05-12-2012, 02:31 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

It got locked in third last night on the way to cruise night at the burger joint.......

Hurst is going in soon.....this sucks....

Jebby
I knew guys that just clamped Vise Grips around the shift arms and used that to shift with. No more lockup!

By the way, why are you power shifting on the way to the cruise? Trying to get a front row parking spot?

Old 05-12-2012, 03:38 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

I knew guys that just clamped Vise Grips around the shift arms and used that to shift with. No more lockup!

By the way, why are you power shifting on the way to the cruise? Trying to get a front row parking spot?

Trying to get around the rouge 27 mph Texans on the feeder road as I try to enter the freeway....

Jebby
Old 05-13-2012, 10:55 PM
Jimbo64
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Look at the 1-2 and 3-4 shift levers on the side cover - if they have two holes (one at the end, and another one closer to the pivot), like the one in the photo below, you can connect the rods to the holes closer to the pivot to set it up as short-throw.
have just one hole in the linkage on my 64=some play in the middle rod-will hurst pit pac
bushings work in a muncie or need to replace some parts-----thanks ------jimbo
Old 05-14-2012, 06:05 AM
66BlkBB
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

have just one hole in the linkage on my 64=some play in the middle rod-will hurst pit pac
bushings work in a muncie or need to replace some parts-----thanks ------jimbo

Yes, they will work. I am currently running the Hurst shifter with the OEM shifter arms. I have the pit pac bushings in this set up and have had them in for years.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:31 AM
cor66vette
Le Mans Master

Received 1,308 Likes on 690 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by EDinPA
Sounds like a lot of votes for the Hurst.
The Hurst has my vote hands down. I love its response. I have the original shifter and wouldn't even consider shifting with it anymore.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:10 AM
Jimbo64
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by cor66vette
The Hurst has my vote hands down. I love its response. I have the original shifter and wouldn't even consider shifting with it anymore.
i like the looks of the curved hurst shifter you have in your car- i was thinking originally of putting in the hurst which looks exactly like the original but not sure now-hung up between replacing original muncie, putting new bushings and link pins in muncie, or pulling it and going with a version of hurst-

Get notified of new replies

To '66 shifter options?

Old 05-14-2012, 11:32 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

bushings work in a muncie
or need to replace some parts-----thanks ------jimbo
Not with the stock Muncie shifter.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:48 AM
cor66vette
Le Mans Master

Received 1,308 Likes on 690 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

i like the looks of the curved hurst shifter you have in your car- i was thinking originally of putting in the hurst which looks exactly like the original but not sure now-hung up between replacing original muncie, putting new bushings and link pins in muncie, or pulling it and going with a version of hurst-
For me, the curve shape helps facilitate the throw.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:50 AM
66BlkBB
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Not with the stock Muncie shifter.

John,

I am running the shifter arms from the OEM and I have the pit pac bushings on them. Does the OEM shifter not have nylon bushings at the shifter end that would cause the problem?

Quick Reply: '66 shifter options?