C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Holy cow...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 09:59 PM
Tossin
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Holy cow...

...there's (finally) a Corvette in my garage (old photo below).

Corvette Rear 3/4 view by Tossin, on Flickr

I doubt many here remember me from years ago, so here's the quick back story. My father bought this car new in '65 after his '64 was wrecked by someone who wasn't watching where they were going. It has the 300 hp motor, 3:08 rear, telescopic steering, etc. My parents met because of this car. Dad did gymkhana with it and drove it for 20+ years and ~300,000 miles before it was garaged for another 20.

I always loved that car and I was always bugging him to fix it. In 2003, he started working on getting it road worthy again only to be diagnosed with Lou Gherig's disease. The last few years, I helped him get it running and painted, but it was too late for him to drive it again, thanks to that insidious disease.

After he passed in 2006, I worked on it a little bit while leaving it at my parent's house (I live in MI now). I wanted to bring it up to finish the work, but it was either too hard for me to physically take the car from the house, money was tight, or timing was wrong. Fortunately, a neighbor of mine was willing to make the 14 hour drive (one way) in his F-250 and one of his coworkers was willing to lend us his car trailer for two cases of Yuengling.

It's bittersweet bringing it up here, but at least I know it will be running soon and on the road again. With that said, I will most likely be around here more often reading and asking for advice as I work on getting it roadworthy again.

Sorry for the long rant, I just thought I'd reintroduce myself to the section.

Chris
Old 05-27-2012, 10:03 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I remember. Glad you got it home.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:05 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,465 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Chris, welcome back! That's a very moving story and it's great that your the keeper of a great car. Dennis
Old 05-27-2012, 10:07 PM
mcb55-210
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Best of luck with your historical car...enjoy the time you spend with it.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:22 PM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm sure you dad is thrilled and is watching over you!
Old 05-27-2012, 10:34 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

You have to get past the bittersweet feeling in this venture. Your old man is watching you and is tickled that you are getting his buggy back on the road. Keep it in the family....he is proud of you!
Old 05-27-2012, 10:41 PM
6T5RUSH
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 118 Likes on 97 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Tossin',

I remember your original posts.

I'm really happy for you and Kerrmudgeon is right on point...you're making your Dad real proud of you. He IS smiling down at you. I'm sure as you wrench on her, your Dad's presence will be felt alongside you.

Congratulations!

Keep us posted on your progress.

Regards,

Jim
In God We Trust!
Old 05-27-2012, 10:55 PM
Nitrodamus
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember you, glad you have it home so you can work on it!
Old 05-27-2012, 11:50 PM
pw2006
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Congrats, that is a special history.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:29 AM
6T7L71CPE
Melting Slicks

Received 379 Likes on 250 Posts

Welcome back!
Old 05-28-2012, 08:34 AM
GeoffM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you managed to bring the car home, so you can keep it in the family. there will be good memories for a long time to come
Old 05-28-2012, 08:40 AM
corvetteed
Team Owner

Received 363 Likes on 250 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I, too, remember your story. Kudos on getting the car back "home". Keep it until you can pass it along to one of your kids too. A family car like that IS family.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:44 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

It's great that you have the memories AND the car! Also, two cases of yeungling is a great deal indeed. I'd have shot big for Smithwicks or maybe Brooklyn Brown!
Old 05-28-2012, 08:55 AM
knockbill
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tossin
...there's (finally) a Corvette in my garage (old photo below).

I doubt many here remember me from years ago, so here's the quick back story. My father bought this car new in '65 after his '64 was wrecked by someone who wasn't watching where they were going. It has the 300 hp motor, 3:08 rear, telescopic steering, etc. My parents met because of this car. Dad did gymkhana with it and drove it for 20+ years and ~300,000 miles before it was garaged for another 20.

I always loved that car and I was always bugging him to fix it. In 2003, he started working on getting it road worthy again only to be diagnosed with Lou Gherig's disease. The last few years, I helped him get it running and painted, but it was too late for him to drive it again, thanks to that insidious disease.

After he passed in 2006, I worked on it a little bit while leaving it at my parent's house (I live in MI now). I wanted to bring it up to finish the work, but it was either too hard for me to physically take the car from the house, money was tight, or timing was wrong. Fortunately, a neighbor of mine was willing to make the 14 hour drive (one way) in his F-250 and one of his coworkers was willing to lend us his car trailer for two cases of Yuengling.

It's bittersweet bringing it up here, but at least I know it will be running soon and on the road again. With that said, I will most likely be around here more often reading and asking for advice as I work on getting it roadworthy again.

Sorry for the long rant, I just thought I'd reintroduce myself to the section.

Chris

good story, wish you luck with it,,,,

something to be said for teh value of yuengling.......
Old 05-28-2012, 09:05 AM
oldsarge
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome back, good luck with your project. I am sure you will enjoy the experience and have some fun.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:09 AM
dahogan
Enjoy while you can.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,684 Likes on 1,272 Posts
Ohio Events Coordinator
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Welcome back. She's a beauty Last week my neighbor did me a huge favor and all he wanted was a case of yuengling
Old 05-28-2012, 09:11 AM
Tossin
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB
It's great that you have the memories AND the car! Also, two cases of yeungling is a great deal indeed. I'd have shot big for Smithwicks or maybe Brooklyn Brown!
You can get Smithwicks and Brooklyn Brown here. You can't get Yeungling in Michigan yet.

Thanks to everyone for the comments. It's going to be a long road until the car is back to where I feel comfortable driving it...the short list of what needs done is:

Oil change
Bleed brakes/fix calipers if needed
New wiring harness
Overhaul suspension
Send trailing arms off to rebuild
Instrument cluster overhaul
Reshim body

That's just off the top of my head...I know there's more that I am forgetting right now.

Get notified of new replies

To Holy cow...

Old 05-28-2012, 09:29 AM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Tossin
Oil change
Bleed brakes/fix calipers if needed
New wiring harness
Overhaul suspension
Send trailing arms off to rebuild
Instrument cluster overhaul
Reshim body
Myself, I wouldn't bother with the old calipers, just trade them in for stainless sleeved and forget them.
Don't change out the harness unless it's damaged or melted somewhere. Just be careful if you manipulate it.
Check the end play, bearings, and bushings in the trailing arms...they may be fine
Suspension may be fine and will let you know if it's not when driving it. Just give it a good greasing.
Why reshim body? Are the mounts loose or broken?
Get it running to see what gauges are and aren't working.

You don't need to do everything at once, there's lots of time for projects when the time and money are right. Just my opinion.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:13 AM
Tossin
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon
Myself, I wouldn't bother with the old calipers, just trade them in for stainless sleeved and forget them.
Don't change out the harness unless it's damaged or melted somewhere. Just be careful if you manipulate it.
Check the end play, bearings, and bushings in the trailing arms...they may be fine
Suspension may be fine and will let you know if it's not when driving it. Just give it a good greasing.
Why reshim body? Are the mounts loose or broken?
Get it running to see what gauges are and aren't working.

You don't need to do everything at once, there's lots of time for projects when the time and money are right. Just my opinion.
Thanks!

I may just do that with the calipers. The harness is on the bottom of my list, in all honesty. The list is a long-term to-do list on the car.

The drivers side trailing arm has a rust hole in it (it's not huge), but at the least, I know I want to go through and repack/replace the bearings and grease up what is needed just for my own ease of mind. The bushings look rather dry rotted, but I'll see how it drives.

Dad suggested reshiming one of the mounts because he had the piece of frame on the drivers side behind the door replaced due to rust. He put the body back on with the same number of shims as before, so the drivers side door rubs when closing it (have to lift up to close it) it had never had that problem before.

The tach and speedo makes a fun whirring noise when running, so at least those needs a quick going over.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:58 AM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Welcome back! Enjoy the family car!

Quick Reply: Holy cow...