C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Vent window frame - 63 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2002, 03:39 PM
achapman
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Vent window frame - 63 Coupe

It looks like someone tried to break into the drivers side door on my Vette when it was owned by a prior owner. The 'hinge' is broken off on the vent window frame. Someone tried to braze it on but it didn't work. I know I can order the hinges and the rivet that joins them together. How do I put a new one on? :smash: There is still a broken piece attached to the vent frame. Do I remove the frame and 'grind' off the broken part, or is it easier to get a new vent window frame. If so who carries the vent window frame... and how hard is it to remove from the door... :confused: Also, the vent window crank on the drivers side turns about three times before the vent window starts to turn. Can these be rebuilt... :smash: or should I get a repo one for about $219... Any help would be appreciated... :D
Old 05-24-2002, 05:22 PM
63fan
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Vent window frame - 63 Coupe (achapman)

I think I would just buy a new one. Mine has been brazed too, but luckily works fine.
good luck,
63fan :cool:
Old 05-24-2002, 09:19 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 735 Likes on 455 Posts

Default Re: Vent window frame - 63 Coupe (achapman)

Andy

You can get the vent window frames from places like Paragon, Long Island Corvette Supply, etc. but they are around $200 a pop. Comes with T post and hinge. The same hinge you mention had been repaired on my driver side door and it's not too pretty. I'm going to try to clean it up a bit when we take the window out of the car. Perhaps someone can spot weld a new one on for you if you take the glass out. I just checked for these on e-bay Wednesday but nothing came up except one from a convertible.

I just had my vent window regulators rebuilt by Dennis Hardesty in Belleville, IL. Try to reach him at 618-398-7829. He did a good job and turn around time was quick. Both regulators work well and the one I've installed so far is good and tight. They run about $55 a piece. He's recently moved so if that # doesn't get you to him let me know and I'll dig deeper for his newer number. There have been earlier threads about exchanging with regulators from other early 60's Chevys and other GM cars. There is some information about this in the NCRS tech archives.

Drop me a line and if you'd like and we can get together on the phone about recent vent window explorations. Yes guys and ladies, for all those who pitched in earlier, we are making progress. New seals, rubber, channel liners sash liner, vent window regulator etc., is complete on passenger side. Waiting for new rear lower channel before pulling out the driver side. That vent assembly is a real trip though! Thanks to all!
DZ

Get notified of new replies

To Vent window frame - 63 Coupe

Quick Reply: Vent window frame - 63 Coupe