C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Starting on a 66 basket case

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 12:03 AM
bobwoodkat
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Starting on a 66 basket case

I am starting on a 1966 basket case I bought many years ago and I have never done anything like this before so I am planning on posting my progress on youtube. I will be needing a lot of advice form the guys who have taken on this challenge. I hope some of you guys could check out what I am up against and send HELP my way. LOL Here is my first video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3dD5cAYhbE&feature=plcp
Old 07-25-2012, 07:39 AM
knockbill
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE=bobwoodkat;1581398913]I am starting on a 1966 basket case I bought many years ago and I have never done anything like this before so I am planning on posting my progress on youtube. I will be needing a lot of advice form the guys who have taken on this challenge. I hope some of you guys could check out what I am up against and send HELP my way. LOL Here is my first vide

my 56 sat that long after i took what was left of teh body off to rebuild teh frame,,, then life got in teh way for quite a while,,, i also cut teh front end off, and replaced it...
first thing i would do, in your case, is make sure you have enough room in teh garage to take teh body off, and have room to work on teh frame... i'd get the frame done, then, strip the body, and the underside, if it has undercoat on it, so you can see what needs work,,,
make the repairs to the body that you can, while its on teh dolly, and put it on teh frame to fit teh front end...

bag/tag all teh parts as you remove them, and list what needs to be repaired and replaced,,, carlisle is coming up in a month or so, and you can probably knock off a lot needs list, as money allows,,,

best of luck with your project...
Old 07-25-2012, 01:52 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Get a tablet, pencils, markers, tape, zip-lock bags and a camera. Get some Simple Green, Brake Kleen, scrubbing pads, sand paper. Start from the ground up! The frame , then all the sub-assemblies of it. Break your work on each part into: replace, repair, refinish, rebuild and associated costs. Same thing for the body, but separate out the interior. Don't rush, patience is important. Expect to speed twice as much time on things as you first estimate. Think safety, get someone too help you when needed. Good luck! Dennis
Old 07-25-2012, 02:47 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
Expect to speed twice as much time on things as you first estimate.
Also, expect to speed twice as much $$$ on things as you first estimated.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:11 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr D.
Also, expect to speed twice as much $$$ on things as you first estimated.
......also, you need to install the fuel line from the tank to the front frame when the body is off, check the bird cage for damage and repair it.
the heater core and dash unit and wiring should be re done
depending on whether or not you are going for a flighted car, may want to consider a new gm crate and baggie the real correct big block for a possible future buyer....that looks like a nice car!.....jmo...good luck....
Old 07-25-2012, 03:37 PM
salty_waders
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take TONS of pictures before you tear it apart. Good luck!!
Old 07-25-2012, 05:30 PM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 381 Likes on 267 Posts

Welcome, You are going to need the assembly manual, also Paragon Sells a poster with all the bolts and there sizes and location, might also be another good investment.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:03 PM
vt65
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome to the forum, rear fender flares will need to be removed unless you're keeping that look but as you say that's a ways down the road but it doesn't hurt to source the parts. Good luck on your journey, you are getting a good start by posting here ...
Old 07-25-2012, 11:21 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

No matter how ridiculously stupid you think the question is....ASK IT.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:28 PM
bobwoodkat
Instructor

Thanks for all the comments guys!! I could use as many suggestions and guidence as I can find. To answer a few things that have been brought up. I have just about every book I could find on restoring a C-2. Most of these have been bought over the past 25 years. I do have the assembly manuel, Noland Adams book ect., I do have enough room to pull the body (it will be tight) and plan on doing that in a couple weeks. I have a bolt chart somewhere but I do want that Paragon bolt poster and I am hoping to find it at Carlisle.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:32 PM
bobwoodkat
Instructor

Originally Posted by vt65
Welcome to the forum, rear fender flares will need to be removed unless you're keeping that look but as you say that's a ways down the road but it doesn't hurt to source the parts. Good luck on your journey, you are getting a good start by posting here ...
Back when I first started this car (early 80s) I purchased rear quarters from GM along with the complete front clip. The front clip is all pieces not a single unit.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:46 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Another thing, figure out which/what you want to do with the car, Stock/resto-mod.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:11 AM
bobwoodkat
Instructor

Originally Posted by 66jack
Another thing, figure out which/what you want to do with the car, Stock/resto-mod.
My plan is stock because it is pretty much all there, but it will never be a garage queen.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:41 AM
65silververt
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 203 Posts

The best advise i can give is to divide it up into categories, prioritize, and then tackle one task at a time. If you start working on too many different areas of the car at one time you will become flustered, which will lead to frustration, confusion, and eventually lost interest.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:53 AM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,328 Likes on 960 Posts

Default Basket case

Basket case? Not really. It looks like you have a mostly complete car in pieces. The body looks to be in good shape. I would organize the parts you have and make lists of parts you need. Some parts like chrome can take months to get back and now would be the time to send them out. If you plan on doing the body work yourself, take a look at the Eckler's books on body repair. The books offer a great foundation for starting. If you are pressed for space, rent a storage unit for the duration of your build. As parts are rebuilt, wrap them in plastic, mark them and put them away and use them as you need them. A total restoration can take up a three car garage. One bay for the frame, one for the body and one for the parts. Good luck and become intimate with the search feature of this forum. Lastly, join the NCRS and buy their CD on c-2s. It has a wealth of information. The Corvette Restorer also has great articles about restoration. This past issue has an article about rebuilding the lights, motors, buckets and all fittings. Very informative. Keep us up on your progress. Jerry
Old 07-26-2012, 10:50 AM
rick66
Pro

Can't stress enough the ziplock bags and labels. For my 66, every small part went into a ziplock bag. Inside the bag went an ID label. Large parts went to boxes with a wire tie and label on the part. The outside of the box was labeled in black marker what was inside the box. I had an entire wall stacked with boxes - label side out.

Mine took 7 years to complete, so the labeling made everything easy to find as the years rolled by.

Do not throw anything away.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:07 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom McCabe
Welcome, You are going to need the assembly manual, also Paragon Sells a poster with all the bolts and there sizes and location, might also be another good investment.
Just tried to find that poster, do you have a part number?

Get notified of new replies

To Starting on a 66 basket case

Old 07-26-2012, 01:39 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr D.
Just tried to find that poster, do you have a part number?
It's Paragon #11705.
Attached Images    
Old 07-26-2012, 02:54 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Recommend you use Sermersheim's for fiberglass body panels. Use their jig fit front end as well as new rear quarters. I'd avoid Corvette Image panels like the plague.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:08 PM
bobwoodkat
Instructor

Originally Posted by 65tripleblack
Recommend you use Sermersheim's for fiberglass body panels. Use their jig fit front end as well as new rear quarters. I'd avoid Corvette Image panels like the plague.
Thanks for the tip. I have all the panels rear quarters, complete front clip, all the bonding strips, headlights buckets and they are all GM. I pruchased them back in the late 80s when GM still carried them in stock. The one part they didn't have was the lower valance which I purchased elsewhere and I was not happy with it so I will be replacing that part. Are Shermersheim's panels like the originals??

Quick Reply: Starting on a 66 basket case