C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

How do you remove the Temp & Air control knob?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 12:00 AM
638HP
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 81 Posts

Default How do you remove the Temp & Air control ****?

I have a '60 and have ordered a new backplate where the 3 control cables are mounted. I am trying to remove the control cables & ***** so I can then mount them on the new plate. I see that the Fan control **** has a set screw that will allow me to remove the whole assembly from the rear. I do not see any set screws on the Temp control **** or the Air ****. Has anyone replaced this panel and if so, how do you remove these 2 *****? I am assuming that it is necessary to do this to replace the backplate. Any info on accomplishing this task is appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:56 AM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 454 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by 638HP
I have a '60 and have ordered a new backplate where the 3 control cables are mounted. I am trying to remove the control cables & ***** so I can then mount them on the new plate. I see that the Fan control **** has a set screw that will allow me to remove the whole assembly from the rear. I do not see any set screws on the Temp control **** or the Air ****. Has anyone replaced this panel and if so, how do you remove these 2 *****? I am assuming that it is necessary to do this to replace the backplate. Any info on accomplishing this task is appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Just removing the set screw on the fan control **** will not allow you to remove the whole assembly. There is a ring with 4 shallow slots behind the **** that must be unscrewed also. On the other two controls there are nuts that must be removed from the backside of the plate in order to remove the controls.

Charles
Old 08-05-2012, 10:30 AM
638HP
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 81 Posts

Thank you Charles, much appreciated. Have a blessed day.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:38 AM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Good information from Charles.

The Temp and Air ***** come off by unscrewing. You may find it necessary to hold the shaft with pliers or similar to unscrew the *****.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:55 PM
dharris45
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

To be clear, to remove the clock and heater controls panel, the fan switch is installed from the rear with the retainer nut on the front side as Charles described.

The Air Inlet control and the Temperature control cables are installed from the front side and have nuts on the rear that hold them to the panel.

To get the panel off, you need to disconnect these two cables, one is under the hood connected to the fresh air inlet, and the other is attached to the temperature control valve inside on the back side of the heater assembly. Then pull them through the panel from the front side of the panel.

I don't believe there is any way to get these two cable off by taking the ***** off and pushing through the panel, or, any way to get the panel off without removing these two cables.

I just installed all the cables, panel, and clock on my 1960 restoration project.

Don

Last edited by dharris45; 08-05-2012 at 01:00 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:41 AM
ukcraig
Heel & Toe

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by 638HP
hey638HP
I know this is an old thread, but did you ever do this replacement? I’m going to do the same thing to my 62. I took the radio and clock out easily. Now I’m to the 2 ***** you mentioned on your thread. I noticed some of the Corvette parts stores sell a replacement **** for temp and air control. It would be easy if these just screwed off the shafts, but nothing’s ever easy. How did you ultimately get this done? Screw the ***** off or take the entire assembly with cables out as suggested below? Thanks!!!

Last edited by ukcraig; 01-21-2019 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:11 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,267 Likes on 1,688 Posts

638hp has been writing most recently in the C8 General Discussion forum. I don't think he will see your question posted here.

Get notified of new replies

To How do you remove the Temp & Air control knob?

Quick Reply: How do you remove the Temp & Air control knob?