C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Three point seatbelts 1

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 09:24 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,465 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Default Three point seatbelts 1

Who will be at Carlisle with their '63-'67 conv with three point seatbelts? Coupe installation does not apply. I need to look at your installation. Dennis
Old 08-09-2012, 07:36 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Please don't make me look into all the C-2 conv's. Dennis
Old 08-09-2012, 07:45 PM
PaulUptime
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 115 Posts

Not here either, but it's a mod I've considered many times.
Last year I got into Roy's coupe and he did an excellent job of putting in this 3 ptrs - very comfortable - then again, his seats are of a better and more recent design too.

So Dennis, I'm also looking for anyone who has some comfortable and functional 3 pt belts in a C2 convertible.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:40 PM
StuM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 67 Vert 3 point seatbelts

I tried to install them in my 67 Vert, per the instructions. Problem was the rear belt spring case interfered with the vert top frame and prevented closure. Had to remove them and go back to simple lap belts.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:04 AM
RK-TECT
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Dennis, Paul, and Stu,
I installed 3-point seatbelts in my '65 convertible and they function & look great. Take a look at the following thread to get more information and see some photos of my installation to determine if my mods might work for you:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...-question.html

The only additional mod that I will eventually make is to install a steel cable or strap in the wheel well from the retractor bolt/plate to the frame rear of the retractor for additional structural integrity. I really don't want to think about any kind of accident, but that is the reason for installing them in the first place. My safety is very important, but my passenger is usually one of my kids or my wife, so anything to improve safety is a priority Feel free to send me a PM if you need additional information about the installation.

Good luck,
Roger
Old 08-15-2012, 07:17 AM
PaulUptime
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 115 Posts

Thanks for the link Roger. Knocking wood, I hope you or your passengers never have to test its efficacy.

I suppose I should have searched the archives for a c2 convertible seatbelt as I recall it had been done. Would like to see someone with it done at Carlisle, though.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:27 AM
1coolC2
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RK-TECT
Hi Dennis, Paul, and Stu,
I installed 3-point seatbelts in my '65 convertible and they function & look great. Take a look at the following thread to get more information and see some photos of my installation to determine if my mods might work for you:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...-question.html

The only additional mod that I will eventually make is to install a steel cable or strap in the wheel well from the retractor bolt/plate to the frame rear of the retractor for additional structural integrity. I really don't want to think about any kind of accident, but that is the reason for installing them in the first place. My safety is very important, but my passenger is usually one of my kids or my wife, so anything to improve safety is a priority Feel free to send me a PM if you need additional information about the installation.

Good luck,
Roger
Roger,

That looks to be a great option and a nice install to provide a 3 point system. I used the rear seat retractor and belt system from a 4th generation Camaro (still available new from GM and I believe in various colors). I made up an anchor plate for the wheel tub and a belt guides for the seats. The solution you posted would have been easier

R/
Jeff
Old 08-15-2012, 11:32 AM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Roger, Thanks for the info. I remember looking at yours and Joekool66 install. I thought Ecklers discontinued your belt sys. I have to re-visit on this. The technique of installation is straight forward. My concern is the true reliable function of the mechinism. Some lock on inertia and some lock with a pendulum motion. If a tested kit is available from some supplier, great, but if I have to adapt something I need to be sure of the method of function. Dennis
Old 08-15-2012, 04:59 PM
RK-TECT
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Dennis and Paul,
During the installation, I spoke directly to the manufacturer of the seatbelt system regarding a few questions. I will try to find their information so you can buy from them directly if the vendors no longer carry their products. However, Eckler's still shows the 3-point seatbelts that I purchased for $ 259.99... http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1963-1967.html. I don't know how the retractor works, but I have tested it many times and it locks up just like my daily driver. A few months ago, I had to put it through a real-life test when someone cut directly in front of me making a "blind" 180 at a round-about . I thought the front of my baby was a gonner. Thankfully, the 4-wheel disc brakes stopped me before impact, and the shoulder harness locked my body tight against the seat back when I slammed on the brakes Without the 3-point seatbelt system, my head may have slammed into the steering wheel even without making contact. I'm glad that I installed it in my car, and believe it is an important mod for our old Vettes.

The photo below shows the steel retractor reinforcement plate that is secured to the retractor via a 1/2" bolt through the fiberglass body of the car. For added safety, I'm planning on installing a steel cable or strap from the bolt to the frame rear of the retractor... most likely using the existing hole in the frame directly behind the trailing arm bumper.

Get notified of new replies

To Three point seatbelts 1

Quick Reply: Three point seatbelts 1