C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

GM part # description

Old 08-30-2013, 07:01 AM
vetter61
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default GM part # description

Is a book or reference available that gives a description of bolts and fasteners by GM part #. Trying to match a part # to what size bolt,etc.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:29 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

There is a Group # in the parts books that gives partial descriptions of fasteners. I can't remember the group # off the top of my head.

For a better description of fasteners, plugs, etc. there is a GM Material Specifications book set available that goes into much more detail. I have three of them. Very large books but again, cannot recall exactly the name on them.

I believe this link will take you to these books. They're pricey.

http://www.ihs.com/products/industry.../gm/index.aspx
Old 08-30-2013, 08:44 AM
knockbill
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by vetter61
Is a book or reference available that gives a description of bolts and fasteners by GM part #. Trying to match a part # to what size bolt,etc.
I have an old Paragon catalog that has pictures of the bolt heads, and what they're used for,,, I can't find it at the moment, but, if you keep old catalogs.......

Regards,
John
Old 08-30-2013, 09:56 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
There is a Group # in the parts books that gives partial descriptions of fasteners. I can't remember the group # off the top of my head.

For a better description of fasteners, plugs, etc. there is a GM Material Specifications book set available that goes into much more detail. I have three of them. Very large books but again, cannot recall exactly the name on them.
GM hardware is found in Group 8.900. The problem is, if you look in a parts book, there is no Group 8.900. Some hardware does turn up in the parts books, but most of Group 8.900 is contained in a separate catalog, the "Standard Parts Catalog". Even with a Standard Parts Catalog, it can be hard to find or identify the hardware you want.

The problem is that the Standard Parts Catalog, is designed for a dealer's parts department to find a part number, and not for someone who's trying to identify the correct hardware from a part number. Hardware is grouped by the type of hardware it is (hex head, Phillips head, sheet metal thread, machine thread, SAE, metric, finish, etc....), and not by part number. If you know that the bolt you need is a black oxide, oval pan head, Phillips head, machine screw; it's relatively easy to find it's part number. The problem is, if all you have is the part number, then you need to go through page after page of hardware, in hopes of stumbling onto the part number your looking for.

Besides hardware, the Standard Parts Catalog also included labels, decals, stickers, GM detailing and cleaning supplies, and other various oddities; not found in the regular parts books.

I have a Standard Parts Catalog, and I can tell you that it's not easy to find nuts, bolts or washers; with just a part number.

Paragon use to make a great wall poster (approximately 24"x36"), that had photos of a lot of Corvette hardware. Each hardware photo had a caption that included the head type, it's correct markings, the finish, the thread type, the size, and what it was used for. They use to give the posters away at shows, but I haven't seen them in quite some time. They didn't have them at Carlisle last week. I still have a couple that I saved, and they are very helpful. You might want to call Paragon and see if they still have any.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:52 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by gbvette62
GM hardware is found in Group 8.900. The problem is, if you look in a parts book, there is no Group 8.900. Some hardware does turn up in the parts books, but most of Group 8.900 is contained in a separate catalog, the "Standard Parts Catalog". Even with a Standard Parts Catalog, it can be hard to find or identify the hardware you want.

The problem is that the Standard Parts Catalog, is designed for a dealer's parts department to find a part number, and not for someone who's trying to identify the correct hardware from a part number. Hardware is grouped by the type of hardware it is (hex head, Phillips head, sheet metal thread, machine thread, SAE, metric, finish, etc....), and not by part number. If you know that the bolt you need is a black oxide, oval pan head, Phillips head, machine screw; it's relatively easy to find it's part number.
This is all true and that's why I mentioned the GM Spec manuals. It tells the full story by part number in much greater detail.

Last edited by MikeM; 08-30-2013 at 06:57 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To GM part # description

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GM part # description