C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1960 Trunk Lid Weatherstrip Problem/Question

Old 11-07-2012, 05:07 PM
C1-Curt
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Default 1960 Trunk Lid Weatherstrip Problem/Question

I bought a new weatherstrip for my 1960 Trunk Lid from Corvette Central and what came is the cushy rubber weatherstrip. I installed it on the trunk lid and when I close the trunk the rubber along the edge of the hinge side (the body edge between the top boot lid and the trunk lid) gets caught up on the body unless I push it back in while I am closing the trunk. It appears I do have an aftermarket trunk lid and the molding of that might be my issue but I figured I would ask

Has anyone else come across this problem and is there maybe a different type of weatherstrip material that might not have this issue? Also would there be any downside to mounting the trunk weatherstrip seal on the body rather than the trunk lid. The only thing I could see happening is in rain the water may not flow off correctly.

I installed the deck lid (top cover boot) weatherstrip the same way and it works great.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:27 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by C1-Curt
Also would there be any downside to mounting the trunk weatherstrip seal on the body rather than the trunk lid.

Can't answer if you have a repop trunk lid or not.

Is the stuff you got molded, or the hollow tube weather strip?

I honestly can't remember what I got 4 years ago ( I bought Corvette Rubber stuff, and paid extra for deluxe molded weather strip where it was available), but I glued it up right in the corner of my '61 trunk lid(obviously diff than yours),a nd it worked perfect, can't see it from the outside, and it seals just fine with no closing issues.

I glued it with the lid off and upside down, and the seam is at the top middle.

Doug
Old 11-07-2012, 06:43 PM
C1-Curt
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDoug

Can't answer if you have a repop trunk lid or not.

Is the stuff you got molded, or the hollow tube weather strip?

I honestly can't remember what I got 4 years ago ( I bought Corvette Rubber stuff, and paid extra for deluxe molded weather strip where it was available), but I glued it up right in the corner of my '61 trunk lid(obviously diff than yours),a nd it worked perfect, can't see it from the outside, and it seals just fine with no closing issues.

I glued it with the lid off and upside down, and the seam is at the top middle.

Doug
Mine is the hollow stuff with two equal flat sides and the rest is a rounded arch. I even tried gluing the other flat side to the inside edge to try to pull it way from the outer edge and still have the same issue. I did install mine with the trunk off and upside down, much easier

It looks like 53 to 58 had a different type of weatherstrip, wonder if that is thinner, I might have to look into that to see if that would help my situation.

This is what I have now.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:39 AM
stratplus
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

On my 60 I installed the weatherstripping from CC and it was as described. A black, firm rubber with the ribs. It had some give to it but it was not a soft cushy foamie type of rubber. The trunk closes fine with it.

The weatherstripping is suppose to go on the trunk lid as opposed to the body. I am not sure what body mounted weatherstrip would do for the water.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:02 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I believe the original was actually an L shaped piece, but the round style has been supplied as a replacement for years even by GM.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:57 AM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Yup, been there. I took the weather stripping in that area and trimmed it. You can't see it and it fits fine now.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:24 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

The repro weatherstrip is a known problem. If you look at most later C1 trunks that use it then you will see the gap where the trunk lid is latched down tight near the lock is perfect but the gap elsewhere is larger. The rubber repros are just too fat.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 11-09-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:34 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
The repro weatherstrip is a known problem. If you look at most later C1 trunks that use it then you will see the gap where the trunk lid is latched down tight near the lock is perfect but the gap elsewhere is larger. The rubber repros are just too fat.
absolutely true,,,,, my original was L-shaped, not this D-shaped POS that is being sold as a replacement
Bill
Old 11-09-2012, 03:59 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

I went out and looked at mine, it is a simple hollow round tube with no ribs, (not D shaped, either) it fit fine and worked fine, though i do recall wondering about it when i installed it, as originally i had an OEM L shaped piece.

Doug
Old 11-09-2012, 04:37 PM
3310vette
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

i purchased the trunk w/s from Corvette Central to install on my 1960, removed the trunk lid and installed it with few problems (used a lot of clamps to hold it down) and had no fit problems. It requires extra effort to close it, but works just fine. I have seen original trunk w/s on a 1960 and it looks just like the repro, not L-shaped. Be sure that the two ends meet in the middle of the trunk before you cut off the excess.

Get notified of new replies

To 1960 Trunk Lid Weatherstrip Problem/Question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1960 Trunk Lid Weatherstrip Problem/Question