C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

58 - Hardtop header rubber question...Rivet or Glue?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 12:51 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 65 Posts

Default 58 - Hardtop header rubber question...Rivet or Glue?

I'm about to install the rubber on my hardtop aluminum header...and when I took it out, it was glued in...no sprial rivets with the plates.

My question is...should I just glue it back in, or use the plates and rivets...or maybe both?

If anything...I don't think I'd use the rivets...I'd tap the holes and use screws so I can easily get it out if I wanted.

One of the concers I have is...could the rivets end up scratching the stainless on the windshield?

BTW...If everyone says I should use the rivets (which I have brand-new)...can someone give me the dimensions of the plates and the gauge? Since I don't have any...I don't know what they look like.

Gluing just seems a lot easier and I can't imagine it going anywhere.

Thoughts??
Old 11-29-2012, 01:13 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

You don't have to glue OR rivet it. It will snap into the grooves in the hardtop and hold in place just fine. A putty knife will install it quickly with no issues. If you just want the rivets (for judging or because you're ****) they are easily replaced but, again, NOT necessary!

Here are the horribly overpriced rivets: http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....Z5Z5Z50000050x

My original rivets were salvageable so I just reused them with NO glue. The rivets are designed and set into the rubber weatherstrip so as NOT to scratch the windshield header when properly installed. A rubber flap on the weatherstrip will cover them up.

You can replace the rivets by giving a slight tap on the header holes in the hardtop to slightly close up the existing hole enough to retain the rivet(s).
Attached Images  

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 11-29-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:49 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Thanks for posting the videos/pictures. Decisions decisions...
Old 11-29-2012, 02:11 PM
fatboy34
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I just replaced the front header strip on my 58 about a week ago, it was also just glued in by someone in the past which made the job so much easier, As Frankie has told you there is no need to use the rivets or even glue , I just layed mine in and the pushed it in the slot with a putty knife , it will only come loose when off the car and if someone prys the end loose and pulls it, I have no worry of it coming loose when installed on car, for me easy choice.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:19 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Thanks...I'm leaning to using some glue and skipping the rivets. It's not that I think it will slip off...I'm more concern with it shifting. Although mine was glued, it was very sparse and easily to remove also.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:07 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Then I would just use some 3M Super Trim Adhesive (sparingly) just to keep the rubber in position. It's easy enough to deal with that method later on if you have to change the rubber again (in say 40 years)!

However once you shove that rubber down in the channels fore and aft on the header and think about it shifting along its 5' or so length I think you'll see that it isn't going anywhere even without the glue.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 11-29-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:12 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
You don't have to glue OR rivet it. It will snap into the grooves in the hardtop and hold in place just fine.

Bill
Old 11-29-2012, 04:44 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

I ordered the rubber...it hasn't come yet. Maybe when I get it, I will be able to see isn't not going to shift.

I wonder why they used rivets in the first place...seems if anything they would have glued it.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:25 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Got the rubber in today and installed it...I think I know why they didn't glue it in...cause its a PITA if you do. I got mine in and then had to pull it out cause the glue dried. Then I had to clean the channel. I ened up using some liquid soap and that made it a lot easier to get into the channel. I rinsed it off and when it dries I'll go around the outsid edges slightly gluing it.
I noticed it didn't take much for it to "roll out" of the channel...so that's why I'm planning on gluing the outside edges SLIGHTLY.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:04 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Kinda figured that glue idea would get messy - but -- do what you have to do I guess.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:40 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

It was pretty easy....I just folded the rubber back a little....took a nail....dipped it into the contact cement and just let it flow on down. Then I pressed it back and it fits nice and snug.
While I was putting on the rubber my upper arm would hit a spot that I just put in and it would "roll" out of the channel....this to me was insurance that it's not going to do that and it was simple.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:19 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

I found this kind of interesting. The retainer clip that runs along the front aluminum header and secures the hardtop...well, mine didn't have the rubber shown in this picture. What I did do is use strip caulk between the header and the aluminum channel...nothing under the retainer. Did 58's not have this rubber??

Last edited by jusplainwacky; 12-02-2012 at 03:22 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 58 - Hardtop header rubber question...Rivet or Glue?

Quick Reply: 58 - Hardtop header rubber question...Rivet or Glue?