C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

4 speed shifter install

Old 12-05-2012, 09:04 PM
cutlerkw
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 speed shifter install

Hey all, just finished my fresh rebuild of my motor, it's in and runs beautifully. I am, however, having a hard time getting the shifter in. I have the standard Muncie 4 speed with the original shifter, but when I install it I can't seem to get it to shifts smoothly, let alone move sometimes. I was wondering if anyone out there had and tips or tricks on how to properly install the shifter linkage. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated ...I'd love to drive my vette this weekend after staring at it in the garage for OVER A YEAR!
Old 12-05-2012, 09:11 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 829 Likes on 573 Posts

Did you align the shifter arms before you hooked up the rods?
Old 12-05-2012, 09:14 PM
cutlerkw
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by 66jack
Did you align the shifter arms before you hooked up the rods?
Ill admit I'm a complete noob at this, so no I doubt i did. I took the shifter off when I pulled the motor and tranny, figured if it was good then it should be good now
Old 12-05-2012, 09:15 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,465 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

I can't help on the specifics of the install, but if you wind up still not satisfied, buy a Hurst Comp Plus w/short straight stick. You will not regret it and your trans will thank you. Dennis
Old 12-05-2012, 09:23 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 829 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by cutlerkw
Ill admit I'm a complete noob at this, so no I doubt i did. I took the shifter off when I pulled the motor and tranny, figured if it was good then it should be good now

You will need an old can opener to align the levers.

Cut one end of as close to the little opener thing...

Look at your shifter on the bottom. you will see a 'slot' that will accept the opener....

BUT first do this to opener, on the long edge file it so it will fit somewhat tight into the slot.

Do you know how to us the PM on this site?

if so give my your phone number...

Insert it and then hook up rods...leave it in until all things are tight, pull opener and check to make sure it shifts, if it dont retry until you get it..

ALSO

Pull the shift **** of and pull the reverse lock out rod/t-bar out...real simple to do this and install

Have you used the PM before on this site...PM my your phone number

Last edited by 66jack; 12-05-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:28 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,922 Likes on 4,771 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
I can't help on the specifics of the install, but if you wind up still not satisfied, buy a Hurst Comp Plus w/short straight stick. You will not regret it and your trans will thank you. Dennis
Dennis not sure why you are so quick to give up on the stock Muncie shifter. while I never drove a 4 speed with a hurst but our stock muncie shifters in dads 67 vette and my Chevelle shift like a hot knife though butter. you get the rods lined up and its a great thing
Old 12-05-2012, 09:47 PM
cutlerkw
Heel & Toe

As much as id love to upgrade the shifter, I just dropped a good deal in rebuilding the engine lol so anymore money for the year in the car and the woman in my life just might kill me. I've heard that in order to line it up all right you have to install the linkage whiled the three throws on the transmission are in neutral?
Old 12-05-2012, 09:51 PM
RestoMike
Melting Slicks

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
our stock muncie shifters in dads 67 vette and my Chevelle shift like a hot knife though butter. you get the rods lined up and its a great thing

Slicker than a greeeezy door ****.....works like a finely honed instrument, or at least that's how all mine work.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:19 PM
MrPbody
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've heard that in order to line it up all right you have to install the linkage whiled the three throws on the transmission are in neutral?

Which is what 66Jack was trying to explain to you.
his can opener tool is used to hold the levers in that neutral position wile the rods are adjusted and installed.

Russ
Old 12-05-2012, 10:22 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,206 Likes on 2,297 Posts

As much as id love to upgrade the shifter, I just dropped a good deal in rebuilding the engine lol so anymore money for the year in the car and the woman in my life just might kill me. I've heard that in order to line it up all right you have to install the linkage whiled the three throws on the transmission are in neutral?
That's right. All three in neutral, then line up the slot in the shifter arms and attach the rods. You can buy a tool from any of the suppliers, but as said above, you can also make your own. make something about the size of a popsicle stick that is just wide enough to clear the slot on both sides and go all the way through all three shifter arms. Bend the end 90 degrees about an inch from the end and stick it in the slot. After you attach the rods, you can then pull out the tool by grabbing the bottom part away from the bend and pull it out sideways toward the driver's side tunnel. It's harder if you have under car exhaust, but doable

Here's a post from JohnZ about the dimensions of the actual tool.

The gage tool for the slot is 1/8" thick x .646" wide x 3" long; you'll need to bend it for access in the car. The adjustment procedure is in the M20 section of the Assembly Manual, and in the Chassis Service Manual.

Last edited by 65GGvert; 12-05-2012 at 10:26 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:35 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,206 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Click on this link, scroll down to post #7 and look at the bottom flat metal piece. That's what you need to make. (If you have a 65 and up shifter)

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...uge-lenth.html
Old 12-05-2012, 10:39 PM
Velox
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Here is the slot in the shifter, the rectangular opening just above the levers

Here is the shifter neutral adjust tool that comes with the rebuild kits, it fits loosely in the slot, I actually used two of them to get a firm placement

Here are the instructions in the assembly manual

Old 12-05-2012, 10:40 PM
cutlerkw
Heel & Toe

I took a look at what you guys told me and I see EXACTLY what it is you're talking about. It'll be a tight fit because I have under the car exhaust, but ill give it a try tomorrow after work
Old 12-05-2012, 10:43 PM
cutlerkw
Heel & Toe

Wow amazing answers guys, thanks a million! Looks like I just might be hittin' the road this weekend after all!
Old 12-05-2012, 11:20 PM
babbah
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 96 Posts

our stock muncie shifters in dads 67 vette and my Chevelle shift like a hot knife though butter. you get the rods lined up and its a great thing
Old 12-06-2012, 06:48 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Dennis not sure why you are so quick to give up on the stock Muncie shifter. while I never drove a 4 speed with a hurst but our stock muncie shifters in dads 67 vette and my Chevelle shift like a hot knife though butter. you get the rods lined up and its a great thing
I'm not quick on this, it took me 14 years to learn that something better exists. I guess I just have to fess' up. I like the look, the undeniable feel of a solid piece of automotive engineering, and that little white ball. I forgot to mention that my Hurst has saved my motor on some of my more spirited accelerated moments. Don't forget, my car is NCRS. Dennis
Old 12-06-2012, 07:26 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
I'm not quick on this, it took me 14 years to learn that something better exists. I guess I just have to fess' up. I like the look, the undeniable feel of a solid piece of automotive engineering, and that little white ball. I forgot to mention that my Hurst has saved my motor on some of my more spirited accelerated moments. Don't forget, my car is NCRS. Dennis
What is a "ncrs" car and what does that have to do with putting a hard shifting piece of junk like a Hurst shifter have to do with it?

Besides, if you can't get the Muncie installed, why would the Hurst be any simpler?

PS. I understand the buyer of BarryK's '65 is looking for a good used Muncie shifter to replace the Muncie shifter Barry had in it!

Get notified of new replies

To 4 speed shifter install

Old 12-06-2012, 08:22 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

MikeM N Not, C Correctly, R Restored, S Stingray. Explaining how much easier it is to install a Hurst shifter would take about as much time as I have taken to respond on this thread. As a matter of fact, it would take more time to remove a Muncie then to install the Hurst. Dennis
Old 12-07-2012, 12:52 AM
PeteZO6
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

The only thing i found worthwhile in my Chilton manual is the dimensions of the gauge for aligning the shifter. Chilton says 41/64" wide. I think I used plumbers tape cut to that width and it worked fine for me. FWIW, 65GGvert's dimension of .646" if VERY close to 41/64"
I have owned my '69 for over 42 years and would NEVER consider putting a Hurst in it. My stock shifter, when correctly aligned, does to this day shift like a hot knife through butter.

Pete
Old 12-09-2012, 11:46 AM
cutlerkw
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Velox
Here is the slot in the shifter, the rectangular opening just above the levers

Here is the shifter neutral adjust tool that comes with the rebuild kits, it fits loosely in the slot, I actually used two of them to get a firm placement

Here are the instructions in the assembly manual

GUYS WHAT AM I MISSING!?!? The bracket on my shifter seems to not have that slot y'all were talking about!?!?http://forums.corvetteforum.com/albu...ctureid=128468

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4 speed shifter install