C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

'66 - What are all these capacitors for (pic)?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 07:50 PM
tperkins
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default '66 - What are all these capacitors for (pic)?

I pulled the instrument cluster in my '66 to fix the speedo. There are 3 capacitors behind the cluster. In the picture below, #1 was connected to the battery gauge, #2 is the radio capacitor and #3, above the temp gauge was disconnected (with a tag on it saying "spliced"). In addition, there is another capacitor connected to both terminals of the brake light switch.

What are all these for and does it make a difference if #3 on the pic remains disconnected? If it should be connected, where does it go? The electrical diagrams do not show any capacitors.

Thanks so much!

Old 01-11-2013, 07:53 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,018 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Radio noise suppression.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:56 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 829 Likes on 573 Posts

Here ya go...

I just went through this with my car...

http://www.lbfun.com/warehouse/tech_...ess-Labled.jpg
Old 01-11-2013, 08:08 PM
tperkins
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All of that just to eliminate radio noise (along with the shields over the spark plug wires). Imagine that. Since my radio sounded real good before I took this apart, I guess I can just leave that one capacitor disconnected.

Thanks for the quick responses.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:11 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by tperkins
All of that just to eliminate radio noise (along with the shields over the spark plug wires). Imagine that. Since my radio sounded real good before I took this apart, I guess I can just leave that one capacitor disconnected.

Thanks for the quick responses.
It affects AM radio. For example, the one in the upper left that splices into the BRAKE lamp. Well, the BRAKE lamp is a flashing bulb, so if you are sitting in your car, parking brake on, listening to the AM radio - you'll hear a "click click click" as the BRAKE lamp blinks blinks blinks.

How often will that scenario happen?

The one under the OIL gauge plugs into a dark brown wire that is always hot. If you choose not to connect it, make sure the dark brown wire doesn't get accidentally connected to the ground tab above the Tach (which can happen).
Old 01-11-2013, 08:16 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by tperkins
The electrical diagrams do not show any capacitors.
No, they don't, because all of them are part of the radio option - a base (no radio) car doesn't get any of them. All of them are shown in detail in the U69 (radio) section of your Assembly Manual.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:45 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

As Jeff said AM (Amplitude Modulation) radio was horribly susceptible to interference and static whereas FM (Frequency Modulation) radio is less so. But AM is all they had back then and capacitors were cheap but have a limited life span.

Your originals are probably long since shot to hell. So you can leave them in or take them off - no difference.

Get notified of new replies

To '66 - What are all these capacitors for (pic)?

Quick Reply: '66 - What are all these capacitors for (pic)?