C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Pomona Swap Meet

Old 01-09-2013, 09:22 AM
63split63
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Pomona Swap Meet

Anyone have any advice for attending the Pomona Swap Meet. I am planning on attendig this Sunday for the first time .

Regards Bill
Old 01-09-2013, 09:38 AM
provette67
Le Mans Master

Received 705 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by 63split63
Anyone have any advice for attending the Pomona Swap Meet. I am planning on attendig this Sunday for the first time .

Regards Bill
Get there early
Old 01-09-2013, 09:51 AM
54greg
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

best advise! Bundle up Sunday will be cold, wear good walking shoes, eat there and you'll enjoy yourself. I always like walking the parts vendors
Old 01-09-2013, 09:54 AM
wonderful
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I talked to a guy from San Diego a while back. He told me that the meet opens at 5:00 am in the morning. Bring a flash light (because it's dark at 5:00 am), a carrying apparatus (like a wagon or a pull cart), comfortable shoes, hat, light clothing and have a huge breakfast. He told me that there is no food available at the meet (maybe that has changed). The meet closes at 2:00 pm in the afternoon. So you only have 9 hours of parts hunting. Have fun.
One day, I will go.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:47 PM
xztau
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are plenty of food vendors at the swap meet. A bit expensive for what you get, but a wide variety (think county fair). Just walking all the aisles without stopping will take a couple of hours. Lots of worthless junk, so you have to spend time searching for that hidden gem.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:59 PM
americanretrodave
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are driving a Corvette, I believe they'll let you can show it for $25 which is good for Sat and Sun and two people can drive in. Sat is great because you can drive around and shop. You can call for info at 714-538-7091. I'll be there Sat and Sun, Row 18, Space 39. For driving in, the entrance is just north of White on Arrow Hwy.

Dave
Old 01-09-2013, 02:47 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Advice is correct. Its going to be COLD too!!

only walked that whole thing once, too much. Usually start at the north end get about halfway down then its time for a tri tip sammich, beer and sit at the benches while watching the cars go by/people watch. By 11am youre beat

Havent been out there for a few yrs hope they still serve?

main thing is DONT BE LATE. Youll wait in line for a long time.
Bring lotsa cash you will see a millioin things you "need" lol.

Flashlight deals are the best thats when you find the scores

Enjoy
Old 01-09-2013, 04:08 PM
slyvet63
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Pomona advice

I go to this event every time. It would be interesting if you have a pedometer to find out how many steps you take. If you walk the whole thing from end to end I bet it comes out to about 5 miles.

You have to make a choice. Look for parts, or look at cars, but fat chance you get to do both. Corvettes at the north end and everything else at the enterance.

Not much these days on old corvette parts, but David Sokolowski will be there with a small showing of various year parts on display, a few manifolds, steering wheel, ect. Stop and ask about what ever it is you need even though you don't see it there, chances are he may have it back at his shop. He has millions and millions of parts. Just no way he can bring all his stuff there. He will be in a white chevy pickup truck, not to obvious and he may be sitting back in his pickup. He may not have the part you are looking for there, but may have it back at his shop. He may invite you back to his shop. Be prepared to be knocked off your feet at the sight of his inventory. he has everything from solid axles to late seventies even early 80's.

If you don't find him, his number is (310) 329-5334. His prices are very fair and he knows what fits your car. If you call ahead of time he may be able to bring it to the show.

Good luck and see you there.

Ken
Old 01-09-2013, 04:19 PM
wonderful
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by americanretrodave
If you are driving a Corvette, I believe they'll let you can show it for $25 which is good for Sat and Sun and two people can drive in. Sat is great because you can drive around and shop. You can call for info at 714-538-7091. I'll be there Sat and Sun, Row 18, Space 39. For driving in, the entrance is just north of White on Arrow Hwy.

Dave
I did not know that it was 2 days now. Do they still close at 2:00 pm in the afternoon? Are there lots of dealers? Are there lots of non-auto related parts for sale?

Last edited by wonderful; 01-09-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:06 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Default Pomona

If walking in, For parking Come in from the freeway up the hills and past the park on your left side. Stay in left side lane and when you come thru entrance, stay to the left and go straight instead of making the right and going down the hill to those parking booths. It won't make sense at first but it is my preferred entry point to the far southwest parking booths. Then no need to buy the preferred parking because the regular isn't really that much farther to walk. Maybe you pick up 50-75 yards for the extra money. Upon approaching the event ticket booths walking after parking, have a bunch of ones to make exact change. There is usually a guy on the left side that will give tickets direct with exact change to avoid the line. Don't bring anything that needs to be searched. I usually walk thru all of the cars Porsche/Vw then Muscle cars and Misc. and then turn into the aisle. If you are going for Corvette parts (don't turn in) go thru the Hot rod section of cars parked and to the Corvette parking area where the big covered table area is and then turn in to the parts aisles. Thus walk aisles starting at the beginning of the Corvette area about 6 of them (down and back), then I skip to the far north and do those quickly because they are never crowded and work my way back toward the Corvette aisle that I have already walked. Then bathroom break and quick drink and snack. They do have ATM machines, but the lines are ridiculous at times and sometimes the machines run out of money quickly so bring what you expect to spend. You can always return it to the wife or girlfriend later. The aisle kind of get into a majority flow with 75/25 walking in one direction. Yes I am one of the 25% and walk against the general flow, because some clown will stop suddenly with a wagon in front of you and down you go. Thus I would rather see the wagons coming just like the indians. Also I never bring more than a sweatshirt with hood and gloves and a hat. I usually start the walking of the parts right at 6am because their is enough light. Basically at that time, alot are just unloading and sometimes maybe some good things aren't out on the ground yet. Thus at times I will plan to rewalk the Corvette aisles twice (early and late) or just ask a guy unloading if he has Corvette parts. The sweatshirt usually gets tied around the waist after the first mile or so. The total distance just walking the vendor parts aisles is about 4 to 5 miles total (my rough estimation). Also Corvette aisle aren't really just Corvette aisles, actually the Corvette parts turn out is disappointing and only about 5% if that of Carlisles. I also save alot of distance and pick up speed by cutting behind food stands or thru before uninteresting vendors. The area just to the left of where you entered is Porsche/VW stuff and rarely do you find good other stuff. If you do, then it is usually at a great price.

If Driving in, you come in from the South end and drive up the road to the westside of the complex and when you see the hot rods, etc. along the curb (get in line). Thus the drive in entrance is on the north end. Thus you come north west of the grounds and turn right (going east) to the north entrance. If the cars to get in is beyond the drag racing bleachers, then you have a long wait. If you are past the bleachers, then you are decent. If you get to the north end and make the right turn before finding the car line, then you are doing really good. I actually would recommend coming in at about 8am or prior to 6am because the cars lined up are numerous between 6-8am. If you have a car that could overheat, I see alot of guys pushing those. Basically the Corvette area is never even close to maxing out. Usually later in the day about 8:30-9am, they are starting to let Hot Rods park in behind them. Thus parking for a Corvette has never been the slightest problem. Just getting thru the gate is. Also they don't search cars, so you can bring in your guns and beer.

PS if they started a Saturday??, I have never been on that day. I know the Roadster shows and other special events are two days, but I must have missed the memo after 40 years of attendance. Thus cannot make a recommendation on a Saturday, but I will look into it.

Last edited by TCracingCA; 01-09-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:06 PM
slyvet63
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Pomona advice

I think the event opens on Saturday for sellers and dispay cars and allows people to stay overnight. But, it is only open to spectators/shoppers on Sunday.

Not a lot of people showed up on December's show due to ugly weather. Not sure how this weekend is shaping up. There are lots of sellers. Everyone from professionals to people just dragging stuf out of thier garages. Start at the North end first and work your way back to the front entrance. Skip Coca-Cola/Hot Wheel/Barbie aisle. You can bring a wagon and ice chest. No bottles and no alcholol...or at least alcohol that they can see. People do though. Bring a lunch or snack, but they do have a midway with hot food vendors. People start bugging out promptly at 1pm. By two thers not much to see and by three you can shop around for the abandoned vehicles that did not sell and the owner just left.

Parking is $10 + $8/person. or bring and old car for $25 and gets the car in and driver + one passenger. What a deal.

http://www.pomonaswapmeet.com/

Ken
Old 01-09-2013, 07:26 PM
Qblue92
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Go early. Not just early, but earlier than that. I went once. Pretty cool. Vendors started leaving at noon. I've never seen so many people drinking beer that early.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:36 PM
anyChevy
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I spent hours looking for the rental I left in the carpark once (this was before keyless entry) so remember where you park, it's pretty BIG !
Old 01-09-2013, 09:09 PM
mike16
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bring a small note book and several pens/pencils too
Old 01-09-2013, 11:35 PM
Usafstingray
Advanced

I've been there many times. I usually don't arrive until 7:30 or 8:00 cus I can't get out of bed. Yes, the lot is close to full on a good weather weekend. I actually recommend parking as close to the exit as possible because busy weekends can be a nightmare to get out of there - sat there for an hour once - not fun with a sciatic nerve problem and a stick shift. I don't mind the extra walking anyway.

The line is long but moves pretty quickly. Definitely take a good radio flyer if you expect to buy anything heavy or bulky. Jacked up radio flyers seem to be a fad there too...same guys probably show up in jacked up pickup trucks.

Being a German, I love my morning brew! If the old lady gripes about it at home, go ahead and live a little. Just don't bring her with you. It's the exact opposite of her dragging your butt through a crappy antique or clothing store for 4 hours.

I also recommend stopping by the tractor trailer book stand. That guy has every pub you can imagine and pretty reasonable prices...even lets you read the books.

For unique Cali car culture, I highly recommend checking out the rat rods along the main drag and the low rider classics. Those guys must be single...the time they must have!

One thing I can't figure out is the price people ask for all the rusty heaps of junk brought in on a trailer. I figure they just drag it there and tell their old lady "I tried to sell if but nobody knows what this gem is worth!"

Parts...not much to be found for vettes. But recurring visits always turn up something unique. Walk half the aisles then go look at the cars. Cover the other half at the next show. Enjoy!

Old 01-09-2013, 11:47 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Default In addition to my other recommendations, I almost forgot!

If you bring your wagon, then you never find what you are looking for! You leave your wagon at home, then you find everything! Go figure!
Old 01-10-2013, 12:14 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Are there lots of non-auto related parts for sale?
Yes, all kinds of tools from modern junk to antique stuff.
Memorabilia that youll probably never see anywhere else.
Like everyone says bring cash lol.

Lots of people that sell there will not sell to the public anywhere else, they just do swap meets period.

Seen quite a few people from overseas, asians australians etc walking around buying cars with shoeboxes full of cash. Sight to see. Might buy 6 or 7 cars in a day then take em all home.

Get notified of new replies

To Pomona Swap Meet

Old 01-10-2013, 01:45 AM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by provette67
Get there early

It's as big as Disneyland. More expensive, and more fun. too!
Old 01-10-2013, 05:50 AM
desertpilgrim
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

If you don't go there on Saturday afternoon, you might just as well stay home.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:59 AM
63split63
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

We are staying at the Sheridan Fairplex right next door to the park so I should be able to get there early. Thanks for all the good advice . This will be one more thing off the bucket list for me .

Bill

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pomona Swap Meet