C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Basic, Basic Question on A/F Ratio

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 02:09 AM
Bud2
Bud2
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Basic, Basic Question on A/F Ratio

This is probably a very silly question but at the risk of self embarrassment here goes. If you made a graph of the A/F mixture (vertical) over time (horizontal) you should be plotting a line around the magical 14.7 at cruse. Here’s the question – if the line is say at 16.5 is that lean or rich?

Another stupid question, if the A/F mixture is 16.5 would you increase the main jets or decrease to move back down to the 14.7???

The last question. When you mash the fast pedal, how much should the acc. pump push you off your car’s normal A/F ratio?

Using a LM1 A/F data logger and ran into something that has me questioning what I THOUGHT was right.

I'm in Australia so I won't be able to shield off your barbs until tomorrow.

Thanks.

Bud.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:31 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

16 a little on the lean side for my tastes jet down 2-3 sizes then try again
Old 01-10-2013, 03:10 AM
Bud2
Bud2
Support Corvetteforum!

Ok, thanks for the reply. Let me get this straight, the carb is getting too much fuel, so when you say 'lean' you are talking about the 'air'? Not enough oxygen getting into the mixture. And you squeeze down on the jets to restrict the fuel, thus getting the ratio back to the norm?

How does that work with the commonly referred to 'rich mixture' depositing carbon on your plugs. Wouldn't you want to go to smaller jets for that condition too?

I just can't seem to get my head around this A/F animal.

What about the effect of the acc. pump on the A/F curve?

Bud
Old 01-10-2013, 03:10 AM
narlee
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 69 Posts

The larger the number the leaner it is. You would increase the size of the jet so it would get more fuel to richen it up. You are talking about the fuel (when changing jets) not the air. When you are at wide open throttle (WOT) it should be around 12.5.

Here is a little info:http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...-2-reader.html

Last edited by narlee; 01-10-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:54 AM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,122 Likes on 550 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

A/F ratio is how many parts of air to fuel. So 14.7:1 A/F ratio is 14.7 parts of air to one part fuel.
So the larger the number the leaner, more air, the mixture is.
To change the A/F ratio you either change the jets or the air bleeds.
Joe
Old 01-10-2013, 09:48 AM
63split63
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by plaidside
A/F ratio is how many parts of air to fuel. So 14.7:1 A/F ratio is 14.7 parts of air to one part fuel.
So the larger the number the leaner, more air, the mixture is.
To change the A/F ratio you either change the jets or the air bleeds.
Joe
Don't fiddle with the bleeds unless you know what you are doing .

Bill
Old 01-10-2013, 02:04 PM
steampunk c1
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 97 Posts

16.5 on light throttle is not bad as youre under low load. maybe ok is the motor running sweet with no surge. aim for around 12 under wide open throttle.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:47 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by steampunk c1
16.5 on light throttle is not bad as youre under low load. maybe ok is the motor running sweet with no surge. aim for around 12 under wide open throttle.
Dang, that's the only way mine is run
Old 01-10-2013, 03:02 PM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 454 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Bud2
Using a LM1 A/F data logger and ran into something that has me questioning what I THOUGHT was right.
Bud.
Where in the exhaust did you mount the sensor? If you mounted it near the end of the exhaust pipe you may not be getting an accurate reading.

Charles
Old 01-10-2013, 03:05 PM
1COOL60
Burning Brakes

Location: Emporia, pay no attention to that man behind the curtain, KS
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
16 a little on the lean side for my tastes jet down 2-3 sizes then try again
If you are running lean, wouldn't you INCREASE the jet size to get the A/F mixture back down?
Old 01-10-2013, 06:03 PM
Bud2
Bud2
Support Corvetteforum!

So at least I'm not the only one not quite confident on this beast. First of all, the figure 16.5 was just plucked out of the air not actual on my car. It's just that when I saw my actual A/F ratio, I did in-deed have a high number. I tried to correct it by increasing the jet size. WRONG! So to 'richen' up the mixture I had to squeeze down the jets. So if that is the way it's worked, so be it. BUT then I was reading that for optimum power 12.2-5 is required. You need to richen up the mixture from the 14.7 by increasing the jet size. But to get to 12.2-5, I would have to go smaller....Something seems to be ***-backwards. Or at least the terms 'rich' and 'lean' may have two opposite meanings - depending on when it's used.

Take for example, if your goal was economy, you would want to lean the ratio a tad. Wouldn't you want to restrict the fuel and make sure all of it was burnt? To do that wouldn't you want to decrease the jet size?

I dunno, I'm still confused.

Bud.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:04 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I just put an A/F meter in my '67 Chevelle and its been REAL educational. The car was running pig rich at part throttle and I reduced primary jets (Holley 4150) and I prob would never have done it without the meter. Plugs were dark but not awful and hard to read anyway with unleaded gas. Car didn't stink and no sooty exhaust either.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:47 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,874 Likes on 912 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

So at least I'm not the only one not quite confident on this beast. First of all, the figure 16.5 was just plucked out of the air not actual on my car. It's just that when I saw my actual A/F ratio, I did in-deed have a high number. I tried to correct it by increasing the jet size. WRONG! So to 'richen' up the mixture I had to squeeze down the jets. So if that is the way it's worked, so be it. BUT then I was reading that for optimum power 12.2-5 is required. You need to richen up the mixture from the 14.7 by increasing the jet size. But to get to 12.2-5, I would have to go smaller....Something seems to be ***-backwards. Or at least the terms 'rich' and 'lean' may have two opposite meanings - depending on when it's used.

Take for example, if your goal was economy, you would want to lean the ratio a tad. Wouldn't you want to restrict the fuel and make sure all of it was burnt? To do that wouldn't you want to decrease the jet size?

I dunno, I'm still confused.

Bud.
To go from 16,5 (lean) to 12.0 (rich) you would need to ADD fuel with LARGER jets.

Installing smaller jets would decrease fuel and lean the mixture.

Not sure what you were seeing when you decreased jets and seemingly richened mixture...but that's not how it works.

Are you sure there are no air leaks...like header leaks or anything? A slight leak *header tick* can drive an 02 sensor whacky.

A big nasty cam can give a false reading also.

JIM
Old 01-11-2013, 01:23 AM
Bud2
Bud2
Support Corvetteforum!

Jim, see that's what I'm talking about, 180 degree opinions. My head says you're spot on but my LM1 says different (as some other people say too). My numbers were above 14.7 so I bumped up the jets a couple sizes and then the LM1 told me I was WAY lean. Plugs were sooty too. So I went the other way and now it's back to 14s. It's like the graph in LogWorks (LM1 software) is upside down. Now the 14s should be fine for the highway but for the strip I thought I wanted to get down to 12.2-5. I'm gonna have to drop down another size to do that. But that just sounds like it's wrong. My head says I should be pushing a bit more fuel into it not ween it off.

Bud.

The cam is big enough but not over the top.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:44 AM
narlee
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 69 Posts

Not sure what is up with your gauge but if you have a reading, say 15, and you put larger primary jets the number should get lower, down towards 14 something. When you get the cruise AFR to 14.7 then you change the secondary jets to get to about 12.5 afr at WOT.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:53 AM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,272 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by 1cool60
if you are running lean, wouldn't you increase the jet size to get the a/f mixture back down?
yes

"Plugs were sooty too" Lean plugs are white from lean heat, Rich plugs are sooty from not burning your entire mixture.

Jim is dead on and your readings need to be ignored or you have a carb malfunction. Good luck and your head is correct and your plugs are correct the gauge is not based on your reports here.

Last edited by Westlotorn; 01-11-2013 at 02:59 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:41 PM
waltonb123
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Jim, see that's what I'm talking about, 180 degree opinions. My head says you're spot on but my LM1 says different (as some other people say too). My numbers were above 14.7 so I bumped up the jets a couple sizes and then the LM1 told me I was WAY lean. Plugs were sooty too. So I went the other way and now it's back to 14s. It's like the graph in LogWorks (LM1 software) is upside down. Now the 14s should be fine for the highway but for the strip I thought I wanted to get down to 12.2-5. I'm gonna have to drop down another size to do that. But that just sounds like it's wrong. My head says I should be pushing a bit more fuel into it not ween it off.

Bud.

The cam is big enough but not over the top.
Did you calibrate the sensor after install? There is no question about lean or rich. If lean go bigger 2 at a time until you have it dialed in.

Get notified of new replies

To Basic, Basic Question on A/F Ratio

Old 01-11-2013, 03:11 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

An overly rich mixture that's causing a misfire will give a false lean reading. Misfire results in excess O2 molecules, which are what the sensor is tracking.

This in addition to "the usual suspects": leaks, needs calibration, located too close to the terminus of the exhaust pipe, yada yada yada.

BTW: Some instruments, like the Zeitronix, needs no calibration.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:08 PM
Bud2
Bud2
Support Corvetteforum!

It's been calibrated a number of times. No backfires. Only think I can think of is the software.

OH, I've got it! Of course!!! The LM1 is a yankee product and I live in AUSTRALIA! Everything has to be upside down. I am SO dumb.....

Bud.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:13 PM
waltonb123
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It's been calibrated a number of times. No backfires. Only think I can think of is the software.

OH, I've got it! Of course!!! The LM1 is a yankee product and I live in AUSTRALIA! Everything has to be upside down. I am SO dumb.....

Bud.
Lol, I thought of that awhile ago but didn't want to be a smarta$$!

Quick Reply: Basic, Basic Question on A/F Ratio