C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Installed a 7" single brake booster this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 10:43 PM
mikey
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

Default Installed a 7" single brake booster this weekend

Well I finally got around to converting my car to power brakes with a 7" single diaphragm vacuum booster. I got a master/booster combo from Summit and I got the brackets from Long Island Corvette. I also needed an extension for the push rod, but not as long of one as they sent me! Cut it down with a dremel cut-off wheel and now it is perfect length.

I'd love to report how well it works, but my engine is apart, so... I'll post back in a couple of weeks. I did get the system flushed and air bled out, it seems to be leak free and the pedal gets nice and hard without vacuum.

I had previously been using an electric brake booster and accumulator setup, but decided to switch to something more "period" looking.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:43 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

do you have a pic of the electric booster and how it was mounted?
Bill
Old 01-21-2013, 06:29 PM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 885 Likes on 634 Posts

Will that setup work with a single circuit 65/66 master cylinder? I think I see a BBC in your picture, so I'm assuming there are no clearance issues with the motor.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:41 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

What are those silver and red things setting on your cowl?
Old 01-21-2013, 07:00 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 612 Likes on 367 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

Hey Mike
Very interested in how well it works. I have been considering a booster but thought I needed a dual diaphragm to get enough boost. Let's get that thing back together for a test!

Tom
Old 01-21-2013, 08:46 PM
mikey
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by wmf62
do you have a pic of the electric booster and how it was mounted?
Bill
I'll have to look and see if I had any photos of it installed.. I'm not sure I ever took any! I will post a pic of the unit though, as I'm going to sell it anyway!

-mike
Old 01-21-2013, 08:49 PM
mikey
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Avispa
Will that setup work with a single circuit 65/66 master cylinder? I think I see a BBC in your picture, so I'm assuming there are no clearance issues with the motor.
I don't see why it wouldn't work.. as long as the master cylinder bolt holes line up.

Not a BBC - actually an LS2 from an '05. Intake is off of it right now. Plenty of clearance, probably could have gone with an 8" booster. I've got a overall goofy setup though, with '85-'87 C4 calipers and discs, so I think the 7" is going to be enough.

-mike
Old 01-21-2013, 08:54 PM
mikey
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mr D.
What are those silver and red things setting on your cowl?
Those are parts..

I'm gonna be evasive on this one, at least for a couple more weeks. Let's just say I got a little annoyed with a passerby on the hot rod power tour last year who looked at my LS2/TKO600 swap and said "oh, just another LS swap".. although he probably got dropped off by mom in a minivan, comment was fair enough, given the relative proliferation of LS motors in everything. I'm fixing to remedy that! Stay tuned!

-mike
Old 01-21-2013, 09:03 PM
mikey
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Sky65
Hey Mike
Very interested in how well it works. I have been considering a booster but thought I needed a dual diaphragm to get enough boost. Let's get that thing back together for a test!

Tom
Tom,
I hope to know in 30 days or less. Keep in mind, I have different hardware at the four corners (using early C4 discs and calipers), so YMMV. But when I first built the resto, I had a C5 master with no boost. Car was not "scary" to stop, but very stiff pedal. I switched to a 7/8" master cylinder (manual) and it was better, but still stiff with the disc calipers I think. Then I switched to the electric booster and it came with it's own master. The combo was fine, easy enough pedal effort, almost too much given how light the car is. Decided to switch to a vacuum booster, ordered a dual. However, I just boxed the dual 7" booster up to send back to Summit. I didn't like how far forward it stuck out. Hope I'm not wrong about having enough boost with the single! More to follow.. 5 times a charm? Anybody else change brake combos around this much

-mike
Old 01-21-2013, 10:07 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 612 Likes on 367 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

Originally Posted by mikey
Tom,
I hope to know in 30 days or less. Keep in mind, I have different hardware at the four corners (using early C4 discs and calipers), so YMMV. But when I first built the resto, I had a C5 master with no boost. Car was not "scary" to stop, but very stiff pedal. I switched to a 7/8" master cylinder (manual) and it was better, but still stiff with the disc calipers I think. Then I switched to the electric booster and it came with it's own master. The combo was fine, easy enough pedal effort, almost too much given how light the car is. Decided to switch to a vacuum booster, ordered a dual. However, I just boxed the dual 7" booster up to send back to Summit. I didn't like how far forward it stuck out. Hope I'm not wrong about having enough boost with the single! More to follow.. 5 times a charm? Anybody else change brake combos around this much

-mike
I hope it's big enough. Every thing I read says you need a 9" or dual 7 to build enough pressure for disc brakes.

Get notified of new replies

To Installed a 7" single brake booster this weekend

Quick Reply: Installed a 7" single brake booster this weekend