C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Convertible window front rigid channel

Old 01-31-2013, 05:13 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 193 Likes on 149 Posts

Default Convertible window front rigid channel

Hi all,
I need to replace the front window channel with the fuzzies that attaches to the vent window. I don't recall where I got the channels I have now (either Paragon or LICS 6-7 years ago) but they are not curved exactly the same as the originals and when you try to install them, you end up with some twist preload and they want to pao apart.

Anyone done this job recently and found channels that are spot on?
Old 01-31-2013, 06:19 PM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

Scott,
I've done a few of them recently. I've tried those that come from LIC, Corvette Central, and Ecklers. I think that they all come out of the same bottle. I've found that if you take your time, you can twist, bend, etc., and can get them pretty close. I dry fit them several times, trying to get the correct "twist" in the upper portion, and fasten it first. I then pull/twist the bottom to rivet it (actually, I use a small nut/bolt at the bottom). Good luck.

Mike Coletta
Old 01-31-2013, 06:59 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Thanks Mike, I'll try the massage technique and see how it goes.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:18 AM
W64N
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Recently, I went through this exercise with my '64. I clamped a piece of 3/8" hardwood dowel vertically in my bench vise and let it stick up above the jaws about 1/4". Then I gripped the channel with both hands about six to eight inches apart. With the bead up, I worked the channel from right to left, left to right, against the dowel while pulling slightly toward me. Eventually, I got the curve and moved down the entire channel with the same process. I had to stop frequently and check the curve and the twist. It took some time, but everything fit.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:10 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

So kind of like rolling sheet metal to curl. If it wasn't for the stainless beading one might be able to put it through a roller. Thanks for the technique.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:54 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

get the curved ones from Corvette Central. so easy..............
Old 02-01-2013, 09:47 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Thanks Magic, but these are curved just not enough. As Mike pointed out, and some archive searches on the NCRS site, they all appear to be this way and require some extra bending to fit well. If you have had better experience with CC maybe I'll have to give them a look.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:26 AM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

The ones I got from cc fit my 66 perfectly.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:23 PM
vark_wso
Drifting

Received 347 Likes on 241 Posts

I prefer to remove the old worn fuzzie & keep the original stainless channel if the beads are in good condition, rather than fight ill-fitting repro stuff. It takes some labor hours to clean -- start with sharp screwdriver & finish with small wood chisel & solvents.

Make your own new fuzzie out of 1" wide, 30" long, non-sticky back velcro hook in black. It is a perfect fit it the U-channel. Use a slow setting adhesive like Plio-bond so that there's some freedom to move the velcro a bit. To make sure it's down in the 'U' and adheres to both sides & bottom, fit a 3/8" wood dowel/rod into the freshly glued "fuzzie" and let it set overnight.

Bingo - no screwing around bending, fitting or having improper repro look of the stainless beads. Pictures are not great quality, but show the idea.

Get notified of new replies

To Convertible window front rigid channel

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Convertible window front rigid channel