C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Opinions on this '65 FS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 03:09 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Default Opinions on this '65 FS?

Revfan sent me a lead on this car, it's a coupe so he's passing. I was wondering if some forum members would give the first photos I've been sent (via revfan from the seller) a quick glance.

Background: supposed to be a driver car 300hp matching numbers, restored frame off in '87 (to what level so long ago it's hard to say at this point, but I am not viewing it as "restored" for sure any longer), driven lightly, stored indoors, no rust, fixed front fender in '91, supposed to be a "perfect" match. Same owner since the '80's. Looks like a '67 grill. Door panel trim and seat belts incorrect? Headlights not working until car is "warm" and only intermittently. Don't know yet if replaced fender is correct molded and assembled with bonding strips or hand laid. Cannot tell yet how good front bumper fit REALLY is.

Any opinions on the car are much appreciated. I do like the color combo, the fact that the car is a driver I might paint in a few years. Numbers matching is nice, but was never a requirement for me. The car looks like "the one" might when i finally find it, but I'm just starting to inspect.

http://bbthree.shutterfly.com/106

Last edited by ChattanoogaJSB; 02-08-2013 at 03:32 PM. Reason: fix photos for best quality available
Old 02-08-2013, 03:10 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Sorry no further underhood photos yet, they are promised on request but I have yet to contact this fellow with my list of questions.

**** Fixed the photos, they are as high a quality as they were when originally sent, which isn't saying a whole lot ******

Last edited by ChattanoogaJSB; 02-08-2013 at 03:25 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:28 PM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

Seem to work now!

Good luck... I REALLY like that color combo too...
Old 02-08-2013, 03:40 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

yes that is a 66-67 grille. the 65-66 door panels look just like 67. on the lock **** placement changed. looks to be a nice car. love the color combo. what are they asking for the car?
Old 02-08-2013, 03:44 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
yes that is a 66-67 grille. the 65-66 door panels look just like 67. on the lock **** placement changed. looks to be a nice car. love the color combo. what are they asking for the car?
The pulls and seat belts are black, I was thinking they should be bright pulls on the door panels and blue seat belts. I may be wrong! Guy is asking $37K
Old 02-08-2013, 03:58 PM
sixtysixtom
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

Hi,
Color coded door pulls on the '65. Chrome pulls on the '66.
tom
Old 02-08-2013, 04:00 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by sixtysixtom
Hi,
Color coded door pulls on the '65. Chrome pulls on the '66.
tom
Thought these looked off. Pretty sure the seat belts are as well. It doesn't make me not want to pursue the car I'm just trying to judge what kind of "restoration" it had back when Reagan was still eating Jelly Beans in the White House...
Old 02-08-2013, 04:06 PM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

Didn't they have both pulls (or switch over in) 65? Seems I read that somewhere... maybe Noland...
Old 02-08-2013, 04:12 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Revfan
Didn't they have both pulls (or switch over in) 65? Seems I read that somewhere... maybe Noland...
late 65 got the chrome door pulls early got the plastic
Old 02-08-2013, 04:13 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Revfan
I'd be interested in hearing the answer to that. In this car's case the pulls are black and it seems they should be...white, it seems. Not a big deal. I'm trying to put together some cohesive questions for the guy and door pulls are the least of my concerns.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:40 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

I'd want to see a picture with the headlights closed and the door shut (pics #1,3) before I even drive around the block to look at it.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:32 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MikeM
I'd want to see a picture with the headlights closed and the door shut (pics #1,3) before I even drive around the block to look at it.
I agree, and I want to see a picture head on from bumper height. If the bumpers are whopperjawed a bit I'd like to know it, too. Condition and price are infinitely variable with one another; I think if the car needs a few tweaks I can certainly entertain it as long as it's all reflected in the price. After all, I want a car to drive more and show less and always have.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:43 PM
StingU2
Safety Car

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB
I agree, and I want to see a picture head on from bumper height. If the bumpers are whopperjawed a bit I'd like to know it, too. Condition and price are infinitely variable with one another; I think if the car needs a few tweaks I can certainly entertain it as long as it's all reflected in the price. After all, I want a car to drive more and show less and always have.
JSB

With even a few tweaks, the asking price at $37k is within reason on this '65 coupe with a very nice color combo. The one thing I like about this car is that it has had the same owner since the 80's. I personally like finding a car that an owner has had for a long time.

Bruce
Old 02-08-2013, 07:49 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by StingU2
JSB

With even a few tweaks, the asking price at $37k is within reason on this '65 coupe with a very nice color combo. The one thing I like about this car is that it has had the same owner since the 80's. I personally like finding a car that an owner has had for a long time.

Bruce

Bruce, I'm posting in thanks since my wife is laying on the bed beside me and I'm trying to make a case for this car, which I like a lot.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:56 PM
StingU2
Safety Car

Bruce, I'm posting in thanks since my wife is laying on the bed beside me and I'm trying to make a case for this car, which I like a lot.
JSB

If it helps tell her I said... you need this car, which in return would make her feel real good too. A need to please.

Bruce
Old 02-12-2013, 09:32 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Ok fellas, this final update and them I probably pucker up and go silent for a few days. Wish me luck. If I buy the car, I will come to you guys first to say thanks for putting up with me all these years! Then I'll regale you with my modest story of domestic salesmanship and financial engineering this week. But first I need to be in front of the car and see if its going to be the one.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:44 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

The best thing is that you are doing your homework before buying a car. Not after like most. Don't let little things discourage you. Make sure the big a basic things are what you want and let the car sell it self. Good luck

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions on this '65 FS?

Old 02-12-2013, 09:48 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Look at the driver side front fender from the side, it droops/curves down too much. Something is wrong...it's been hit! The head on shot looks tilted down too some degree. Dennis
Old 02-12-2013, 10:01 PM
StingU2
Safety Car

Wish me luck. But first I need to be in front of the car and see if its going to be the one.
JSB

... look her over real good, there's a reason why the only pics of the front end has the head lights in the open position. Good Luck

Bruce
Old 02-12-2013, 10:16 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks bluestripe. I thought so myself but have since gotten several more new shots all over, including down low. The car has been hit, seller not hiding it, but the profile looks correct I'm the other shots. Hood, bumper, headlight buckets are all nice for a driver and the its are satisfactory for a good driver if not perfect. I do I course want to judge it critically in person. Engine bay is rough looking but serviceable and if course simple and the price is more commiserate with a good driver. I've prepped the owner that I'm showing up with my screwdriver to pull some interior parts for a good healthy bone inspection. I truly feel like the planets MAY be aligning...

Quick Reply: Opinions on this '65 FS?