C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Wet Intake Gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 02:20 PM
jwsl@comcast.net
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wet Intake Gaskets

I have an original 2x4 setup on a '61 Vette 283. Finally got the carbs adjusted so there are no wet plugs, black smoke or rough running, but the intake gaskets are still getting soaked with gas. Has anybody else had this problem, and is there a gasket that will not absorb the gas?
Thanx in advance
Old 02-13-2013, 02:41 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

How do you even know the gaskets are getting wet with the intake on ?

In any case, the gaskets should seal around the intake ports between the intake manifold and heads and not allow fluid to go anywhere - this assumes your gasket mounting surfaces are flat and that the intake is properly torqued down of course.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 02-13-2013 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:17 PM
jwsl@comcast.net
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
How do you even know the gaskets are getting wet with the intake on ?

In any case, the gaskets should seal around the intake ports between the intake manifold and heads and not allow fluid to go anywhere - this assumes your gasket mounting surfaces are flat and that the intake is properly torqued down of course.
Thanx for the reply Frankie, The visible parts of the gaskets are discolored around the intake ports and have a strong odor of gas.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:26 PM
mn.roadking
Instructor

I had the same probelm, vacuum also a liitle on the low side so I couldn't get a smooth lean idle. Found intake warped. '60 2X4...
Old 02-13-2013, 03:50 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I would retorque the intake manifold - using the correct concentric tightening sequence of the bolts (IIRC 25 ft/lbs) and hope the problem clears up. Other wise you might just have warpage in some location (as indicated above). OR, possibly, a bad gasket install. I only use FelPro and I do NOT use those short rubber seals on each end....RTV works and seals better and is all you need unless the car will be judged.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:01 PM
jwsl@comcast.net
Intermediate

Thanx MN. & Frankie, I'm on my 2nd intake with the same results for each, and the heads were checked prior to assembling the engine. I used the proper torque sequence @ 25 lbs, but obviously something was missed. As much as I hate to think about pulling the heads, I might have to get them checked again to be sure. Thanx again.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:08 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

If you have to have them deck the heads and you have an original motor do NOT let them deck the engine stamp pad on the front of the passenger head!! Get it in writing and observe the process if you can. Also, consider using fuel injection gaskets that have the exhaust intake runner blanked off with a piece of metal. It will cool your fuel bowls down a bunch and virtually eliminate percolation. But it WILL change the engine sound if you don't have a crossover exhaust pipe under the oil pan !
Attached Images   
Old 02-13-2013, 08:54 PM
mn.roadking
Instructor

I do NOT use those short rubber seals on each end....RTV works and seals better and is all you need unless the car will be judged.[/QUOTE]

I agree especially if heads have been planed...the rubber end seals can be too thick and the manifold won't seat deep enough.

Get notified of new replies

To Wet Intake Gaskets

Quick Reply: Wet Intake Gaskets