C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Advice on a parking light problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 06:19 AM
1050rayvette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Advice on a parking light problem

Working on the final bugs on a 64 convertable restoration and have the following perplexing situation.
Do any of you gents have any suggestions on why my RT front turn signal works fine however the bulb will not light when I turn on the parking lights? All other lights light up fine...... have already replaced the pigtail.....and thinking maybe the headlight switch....possibly? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:31 AM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,963 Likes on 1,055 Posts

Originally Posted by 1050rayvette
Working on the final bugs on a 64 convertable restoration and have the following perplexing situation.
Do any of you gents have any suggestions on why my RT front turn signal works fine however the bulb will not light when I turn on the parking lights? All other lights light up fine...... have already replaced the pigtail.....and thinking maybe the headlight switch....possibly? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Let's go for the obvious. You replaced the pigtail. Have you checked power on both circuits with the replacement part? If you have power on both circuits then we go to the bulb. If the left front bulb is working on park then there should be power to your passenger side on park as that is a common/shared circuit. Should not be a headlamp switch issue.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:43 AM
6D2148
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 169 Posts

ground,ground,ground
Old 02-17-2013, 07:06 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,617 Likes on 1,949 Posts

I'm trouble shooting a similiar problem on a fiberglass car except the parking light works and turn signal filiment isn't. There are two hot leads to the light - one for the parking and one for the turn signal. There should also be a ground which appears to be there since the parking light works. You can pull the plug and the lens off and jumper from the plug to each contact on the lug to verify both filiments will light in the bulb. With the parking lights on that testing with a test light should also identify which lead is for the park light filiment (the wiring diagram can also tell you) and which is the lead for the turn signals. Then trace that parking light power wire back through the harness to see if you have power at any point. I would say the light switch is a good guess but maybe not.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:16 AM
6D2148
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 169 Posts

reground that light assembly, with a jump wire at the same ground as you grounded your test light and all will work as it should
Old 02-17-2013, 08:42 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

and make sure you have the correct double contact bulb. It won't be in the switch. The voltage goes to the left parking lamp and then splits and goes to the right from there. If the left is working, so is the switch. The problem will be from the pigtail on the left over to the right and then that pigtail or ground. Measure for 12v on the purple wire and then follow the wire over to the left and see where you lose it.

Last edited by 65GGvert; 02-17-2013 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:37 AM
1050rayvette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought that the Rt light would get its power via the Left first, but wanted to ask those that may have been through this before to save me steps I don't need to take.
Its all great advice.....Many Thanks!
Old 02-17-2013, 11:40 AM
Dennis Beck
Drifting

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by chipools@comcast.net
ground,ground,ground
Old 02-17-2013, 04:11 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

I thought that the Rt light would get its power via the Left first, but wanted to ask those that may have been through this before to save me steps I don't need to take.
Its all great advice.....Many Thanks!
Focus on the purple wire in the rh socket and connector. If it's not there check continuity over to the lh connector. That's where the purple wire for the rh side doubles off the one for the lh side and feeds over. You've either lost connection at that split on the lh side, or lost continuity over to the rh side, or the rh connector is not making a good tight connection, or the rh socket is not making contact to the connection on the bulb. That bulb uses a single ground (the base of the bulb) which makes contact to the metal surround that holds the bulb and is then run to a solid ground. If the turn signal is working (correctly) , the ground is making contact.

Get notified of new replies

To Advice on a parking light problem

Quick Reply: Advice on a parking light problem