C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Severe brakes loss problem!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 02:08 PM
Navyt
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sky65
I had the same problem on the HRPT last year. Take a look here.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/c1-and...holy-crap.html
Holy Carp is right! Wow that was a severe case!! But those are the exact symptoms I have to a "T"! Thank you for the reply and link! Onver I rip it apart this weekend the first thing I will inspect is that pad wear. Followed by apparent leaks/seeps, moving on to checking runout. Thank you again, I may look into "upgrading" my calipers all the way around like you did.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:21 PM
Navyt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wombvette
Leaking calipers do not introduce air in the calipers, unless the fluid gives out. You can pretty much forget that. You obviously have a run out problem. The rotors and hubs were final machined as a unit. Chevy didn't even recommend servicing them them. They figured we didn't have enough sense to do it right, so they recommended changing them as a unit. If the person doing the job is not knowledgeable about this, he removes the rotors and turns them on a brake lathe, and re installs them. Now that sounds like a smart thing to do, but, because the surfaces were not necessarily true in relation to the assembly, error is introduced. And that's when all of these sucking air brake problems crop up. You need to check the run out on the rotors.
Thank you for your input. So outside a a couple other circumstance's the problem is most likely runout. The rotors were not turned, but were removed, so as you said, they must not have been re-installed in the same orientation. So after i check with a dial indicator what the runout is, can I try to fix this byt re orientating the rotor or will I have to begin from square one, i.e. new pads, checking and adjusting runout?
Old 03-13-2013, 03:51 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,327 Likes on 959 Posts

Default Runout

I like to get the runout < .003. The GM repair book calls for < .005. You can move the rotor to different positions and see what the best position would be for the lowest runout. I think a few of the positions will not allow access to the star adjustor for the parking brake. I have used shim stock to get the rear rotors within spec. You could also go with an O-ring setup. They are more forgiving with respect to allowing air to be pumped in the system because of excessive runout. Jerry
Old 03-13-2013, 04:50 PM
Navyt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tampa Jerry
I like to get the runout < .003. The GM repair book calls for < .005. You can move the rotor to different positions and see what the best position would be for the lowest runout. I think a few of the positions will not allow access to the star adjustor for the parking brake. I have used shim stock to get the rear rotors within spec. You could also go with an O-ring setup. They are more forgiving with respect to allowing air to be pumped in the system because of excessive runout. Jerry
Thanks Jerry, I was contimplating switching the the o-type. I want to nip this in the butt ASAP and be done with it. Turn the rotors, measure/adjust runout and throw on the o-ring type calipers. I'm in the military, so the car does see a fair amount of sitting in the garage back home.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:59 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Navyt
Turn the rotors, measure/adjust runout and throw on the o-ring type calipers..
Do NOT turn the rotors! This will not solve your problem and most likely make it worse.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:11 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
Do NOT turn the rotors! This will not solve your problem and most likely make it worse.
Mike
if the rotors are still riveted to the hub then they should be stable enough to turn; if they are loose then it wouldn't be a good idea.
Bill
Old 03-13-2013, 05:13 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 612 Likes on 367 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

Just so you know I had o-ring calipers on my car when I lost the front brakes. I don't think my issue was caused by the calipers but the stock design does not keep the pistons square to the bores. So, when my pads wore on an angle the pistons angled in the bores and the wear continued until the pistons were so off square even the o-rings would not seal. Hence my tapered pad wear and loss of brakes.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:19 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Sky65
Just so you know I had o-ring calipers on my car when I lost the front brakes. I don't think my issue was caused by the calipers but the stock design does not keep the pistons square to the bores. So, when my pads wore on an angle the pistons angled in the bores and the wear continued until the pistons were so off square even the o-rings would not seal. Hence my tapered pad wear and loss of brakes.
So how did those hundreds of thousands of C2 and C3s with the second design succeed so well?
Old 03-13-2013, 05:29 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Just saying what happened to me. As I said I don't believe it was the calipers that caused the problem. Something else caused the pads to wear like they did. But because the pistons are not held straight in the bores there was no corrective action by the caliper to square up the pistons and help reduce the tapered wear. The wildwood calipers use a square cut seal located in a grove in the caliper housing and full length pistons. Just my 2 cents. I fell better with the more modern design. Loosing the front brakes every 50 miles on a 3500 mile trip was not fun. Just my experience and opinion.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:04 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Navyt
Thanks Jerry, I was contimplating switching the the o-type. I want to nip this in the butt ASAP and be done with it. Turn the rotors, measure/adjust runout and throw on the o-ring type calipers. I'm in the military, so the car does see a fair amount of sitting in the garage back home.
Listen to Jerry.

I bought my 69 in the late 90's. Had brake problems, i.e. air pumping.

I rebuilt my calipers with "O" ring kits probably 12 years ago, and the brakes are still fine. My 69 sits a lot too.

Earlier in this thread, I belive you mentioned that your rotors had been removed previously, meaning that the factory rivets were drilled out.

You can fool around changing the position of each rotor, and measure the runout. Put the rotors back on in the position of LEAST runout.

No need to turn them unless they're deeply scored, etc.

THEN, do the "O" ring job. Easy. You can do it yourself.

Chuck
Old 03-13-2013, 10:55 PM
Navyt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Chuck Gongloff
Listen to Jerry.

I bought my 69 in the late 90's. Had brake problems, i.e. air pumping.

I rebuilt my calipers with "O" ring kits probably 12 years ago, and the brakes are still fine. My 69 sits a lot too.

Earlier in this thread, I belive you mentioned that your rotors had been removed previously, meaning that the factory rivets were drilled out.

You can fool around changing the position of each rotor, and measure the runout. Put the rotors back on in the position of LEAST runout.

No need to turn them unless they're deeply scored, etc.

THEN, do the "O" ring job. Easy. You can do it yourself.

Chuck
Thanks Chuck! They have been removed, so rivets were drilled out. I'm committing to this route! Will update the thread once problem is solved.

I appreciate everyone's input
Old 03-21-2013, 11:38 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Did you sort your brake problem out yet?
Old 03-22-2013, 10:16 AM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

If you can't eliminate enough runout by re-clocking the hub/rotor combo, then install shims between them, and mark them for future disassembly if needed. Try aluminum foil. It's about .001" thick and works excellent.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:26 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
So how did those hundreds of thousands of C2 and C3s with the second design succeed so well?
Probably because most of them were not delivered with bent caliper mounting brackets.

I know there are at least some out in the field now that are.

If the caliper brackets aren't bent and they hold the caliper bore square to the rotor surface, the simple action of pushing the caliper piston against the pad which then pushes against the rotor will keep the piston square with the caliper bore. I don't believe it's all that critical though. A severely bent bracket could be though.

Last edited by MikeM; 03-22-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:52 PM
66softtop
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Which question are you answering in this over a year old thread?
Obviously the wrong one. I deleted it.

Quick Reply: Severe brakes loss problem!!!!!!!!!