C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Severe brakes loss problem!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 04:41 AM
Navyt
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Severe brakes loss problem!!!!!!!!!

Cutting to the chase, I have no front brakes and minimal rear at the end of pedal stroke. First, I dont know how that is possible because brakes are plumbed LF-RR and RF-LR. I bleed the brakes and everything returns for a SHORT trip, 5 miles or so and less when using the brakes in traffic or at lights. I know the rear brakes are engaging at the end of the pedals stroke, i.e. the floor board, because at low speed I feel the *** end of the car drop when the brakes are really stood on. I have gone through all proper brake bleeding procedures, but problem persists. There is no moisture around any calipers or the master cyliner. Could a caliper be bringing in air somehow? I hope someone has some suggestions! This thing is not safe for the road and Spring is quickly approaching. Thank you in advance! Oh, by the way, this is a '67.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:27 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

2 things..

are you getting air out when you bleed each time after a failure?

when was the master cylinder rebuilt?
Bill
Old 03-12-2013, 08:49 AM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

First, I dont know how that is possible because brakes are plumbed LF-RR and RF-LR.
Not sure what you’re saying there. The brakes on a 67 should be isolated between the front and rear based on the dual MC reservoir.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:04 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr D.
Not sure what you’re saying there. The brakes on a 67 should be isolated between the front and rear based on the dual MC reservoir.
Yea that's nutty.

It is obviously a severe run out problem causing the calipers to suck air. Very common problem with cars that have had brake work by amateurs. Check the ones that have air when you bleed, and look for run out on the rotors. The rotors should run true, not wobble.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:39 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by wombvette
Yea that's nutty.

It is obviously a severe run out problem causing the calipers to suck air. Very common problem with cars that have had brake work by amateurs. Check the ones that have air when you bleed, and look for run out on the rotors. The rotors should run true, not wobble.
yep, that's the major shortcoming of fixed calipers...; floating calipers are more forgiving
Bill
Old 03-12-2013, 12:15 PM
Navyt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wmf62
2 things..

are you getting air out when you bleed each time after a failure?

when was the master cylinder rebuilt?
Bill
Thank you for the fast response. Yes, each time I am getting air out of the system. There is noticably more air coming from the RF than the others. I have owned the car since '97 and there has not been a rebuild on the MC.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:17 PM
Navyt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mr D.
I wasn't aware that they plummed the brakes in this manner. On all other cars and trucks I have owned/built they have been cross isolated as a redundency to maintain equal braking in case half of the MC ceases working
Old 03-12-2013, 12:23 PM
Navyt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wombvette
Yea that's nutty.

In a pinch last year it did have to go into a shop when out of state, where partial disassembly of the brakes would have been necessary. The problem did not happen before this, but did not begin immediately afterwards, so I wasn't really thinking of it. So runout in the rotors can cause air to be brought in from the calipers? When they do work, there is no shake or wobble while braking.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:25 PM
Allcoupedup
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Had this problem recently. Turns out that one of my calipers was leaking ever so slightly and air was being introduced into the system. Changed the caliper and problem was solved.

Brian

Last edited by Allcoupedup; 03-12-2013 at 01:23 PM. Reason: caliPer not caliBer!
Old 03-12-2013, 01:13 PM
Navyt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Allcoupedup
Had this problem recently. Turns out that one of my calipers was leaking ever so slightly and air was being introduced into the system. Changed the caliber and problem was solved.

Brian
That is what I was leaning towards. Thank you for the response!
Old 03-12-2013, 01:31 PM
Allcoupedup
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Navyt
That is what I was leaning towards. Thank you for the response!
Note that the leak was so minor I didn't notice it so I ended up replacing bearings because I did have unacceptable run out. Still had the issue so when I removed the caliper again I noticed some dampness on the back side of one of the pads and the rest was history.

brian
Old 03-12-2013, 01:42 PM
Navyt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Allcoupedup
Note that the leak was so minor I didn't notice it so I ended up replacing bearings because I did have unacceptable run out. Still had the issue so when I removed the caliper again I noticed some dampness on the back side of one of the pads and the rest was history.

brian
Great, I will rip that apart this weeked to see what I'm working with on the inside of that caliper. Thank you again, I'll update with what I find
Old 03-12-2013, 01:48 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

There are plenty of writeups in both the C2 and C3 forums on measuring and fixing runout and diagnosing brake problems.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:49 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

note how the caliper moves... this is a floating caliper and cannot be felt in the brake pedal and short term has no effect on the brakes or braking (but i fixed it...).

this movement would be noticeable in a C2 with a fixed caliper and would definitely suck air into the caliper at some point.
Bill
Attached Files
File Type: wmv
rearbrakeCIMG2769rr_WMV V8.wmv (1.19 MB, 46 views)
Old 03-12-2013, 03:46 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

In a pinch last year it did have to go into a shop when out of state, where partial disassembly of the brakes would have been necessary. The problem did not happen before this, but did not begin immediately afterwards, so I wasn't really thinking of it. So runout in the rotors can cause air to be brought in from the calipers? When they do work, there is no shake or wobble while braking.
If your rotors had been removed previously, i.e. the rivets drilled out, and were reinstalled in the same position, you would not have introduced runout.

Just maybe the shop didn't orient the rotors on the same studs when they reinstalled them.

AND, just maybe, you had little to no runout when they were in the first position, but after they were changed, runout was introduced.

"Back in the day" they used to sell shim kits to shim the rotors to eliminate runout. You need a dial indicator to accurately measure the runout.

Chuck
Old 03-12-2013, 04:07 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

I wasn't aware that they plummed the brakes in this manner. On all other cars and trucks I have owned/built they have been cross isolated as a redundency to maintain equal braking in case half of the MC ceases working
Well it's been a long time but I think that would be true on front wheel drive vehicles that use a diagonal brake line system, a rear wheel drive vehicle would use conventional piping with the tandem MC.

Hey I could be wrong, been many moons since I turned wrenches for a living back in the day. I'm also a 65-66 master cly knid of guy these days.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:20 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Leaking calipers do not introduce air in the calipers, unless the fluid gives out. You can pretty much forget that. You obviously have a run out problem. The rotors and hubs were final machined as a unit. Chevy didn't even recommend servicing them them. They figured we didn't have enough sense to do it right, so they recommended changing them as a unit. If the person doing the job is not knowledgeable about this, he removes the rotors and turns them on a brake lathe, and re installs them. Now that sounds like a smart thing to do, but, because the surfaces were not necessarily true in relation to the assembly, error is introduced. And that's when all of these sucking air brake problems crop up. You need to check the run out on the rotors.

Get notified of new replies

To Severe brakes loss problem!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-13-2013, 11:57 AM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 613 Likes on 368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

I had the same problem on the HRPT last year. Take a look here.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/c1-and...holy-crap.html
Old 03-13-2013, 12:42 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by oengus
Sky,

I know this comes close to hijacking a thread, but you have pointed out something everyone should be aware of.

The picture of a piston and the bottom of that post is of a second-design piston, something I have never seen on a car earlier than '69 before. That design change seemed a terrible idea at the time and these pictures are an extreme example of the problem. My feeling is that anyone with an early disc brake car should keep their calipers if at all possible and make damn certain someone else does not substitute second design stuff thinking they may be helping.
The second-design calipers and pistons (no guides) entered production just after the start of the 1967 model year.

I'd guess that less than 1% of the Corvettes originally built with the '65-'66-only 1st-design calipers and guided pistons still have them, as the caliper rebuilders routinely machined-out the guides in the 1st-design caliper bores when they were sleeved and used the 2nd-design pistons in everything.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:48 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 613 Likes on 368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

I never did figure out the root cause of the severe tapered pad wear. I did however change to wildwood calipers do to the more modern design. Not saying there is anything wrong with the stock design, just saying I like the newer design better.

Quick Reply: Severe brakes loss problem!!!!!!!!!