C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Detroit Speed Installing Headlight Motors on my Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 05:33 PM
Rokndad
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very nice. Mine are on the way. Again thanks to Jeff for pressing on with this new American-made product.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:59 PM
jerhofer
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 66jack
Sweet....

How long did it take them???

Lucky dog...

Mine are in the UPS hub in Illinois right now...wont get mine, probably on Tuesday
I got there around 3:00 and he said he had been working on them most of the day.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:21 PM
1coolC2
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jerhofer
I got there around 3:00 and he said he had been working on them most of the day.
Glad everything went well

I spoke with Chris today (the engineer I worked with at DSE). We spoke about the AC duct bracket and he stated the tech notched the controller mounting plate to provide additional clearance. Hitch installed it on is 67 factory AC car and it was tight but fit. For the 67 guys, our hood release is mounted to the dash cluster, the holes are still in the birdcage so you just need to stick some bolts in them to mount the box. Chris is going to add two bolts for future kits for 67 cars.

Matt, the tech that DSE had install the kit is a really sharp kid, but has no familarity with C2 Vettes so he was perfect to gauge the install for someone that has not performed much work on these things. If you have installed/removed these systems before the job goes much quicker as you know how/where all of the mounting scews and clips are located. I will be very interested in how you all make out with your installs.

If you run into any issues, the DSE tech guys are great and will help out anyway they can.

R/
Jeff

Last edited by 1coolC2; 03-28-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:43 PM
jerhofer
Burning Brakes

I did meet Chris and told him that I was to give him a hard time. He asked who had told me that and when I said Hitch, he was not surprised!!
Old 03-28-2013, 07:54 PM
RMBLROAR
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

How do you wire it into the light switch? Is it just a splice or are there other means to connect?
Old 03-28-2013, 08:05 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 829 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by RMBLROAR
How do you wire it into the light switch? Is it just a splice or are there other means to connect?
I haven't received mine yet, but have been following it since Jeff made his first post....

I believe its PLUG N PLAY....
Old 03-28-2013, 08:39 PM
1coolC2
Drifting

You remove the light switch and pop two of the connectors out (one for headlight feed and one for park lamp feed), plug the DSE harness to those two spots and then plug the original wires to the DSE harness. It's not hard at all

R/
Jeff
Old 03-28-2013, 08:44 PM
RMBLROAR
Racer

Originally Posted by 1coolC2
You remove the light switch and pop two of the connectors out (one for headlight feed and one for park lamp feed), plug the DSE harness to those two spots and then plug the original wires to the DSE harness. It's not hard at all

R/
Jeff
That's outstanding..... I may need to get one of these....
Old 03-28-2013, 08:46 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Discount price is almost up/over...
Old 03-28-2013, 08:52 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Frank you are welcome to stop by the house and take a look at the kit.

I have the one that is in the car and then I bought a kit for my dad's car.

Hitch
Old 03-28-2013, 08:53 PM
1coolC2
Drifting

Originally Posted by 66jack
Discount price is almost up/over...
Good for awhile

"We are offering $50 off the kit to all Corvette Forum members if you mention code CFHeadlight by 6:00pm April 30th"

R/
Jeff
Old 03-28-2013, 09:01 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Good for awhile

"We are offering $50 off the kit to all Corvette Forum members if you mention code CFHeadlight by 6:00pm April 30th"

R/
Jeff
I thought it was this month....

Mine is in Illinois...getting closer...
Old 03-28-2013, 10:04 PM
jerhofer
Burning Brakes

DSE has a mock up of a '69 Camaro RS headlight. They have offered a motor kit for these hide away covers for years. The originals were vacuum operated and were even more unreliable than the ones in the C2's. They are using the same motor but with different brackets for the Corvette kits. So motor reliability should not be an issue.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:09 PM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Received 644 Likes on 331 Posts

R/
Jeff
Jeff,

Seems my headlights conveniently quit working last Thursday. My builder said he knew how to fix them. (He didn't know I had already seen what was in the front seat of his car hauler and sign in back seat.)

I said it shouldn't be a problem to fix my headlights, it was probably a leaking vacuum hose, You know those hoses are real bad to leak and not provide enough vacuum to roll the headlight buckets open.

Told him I would buy a kit as soon as he showed me that a vacuum hose or canister was bad on my stock C2 headlight system... He looked at me like I was crazy until I showed him his new kit replaced C2's vacuum system ...

DSE had not proof read their sign used at Hot Rod & Restoration show the week before. I wonder if the Government or one of their employees had anything to do with kit. You know how they fix things....

As they say in California,"Just messing with You...

Last edited by Poorhousenext; 03-28-2013 at 10:13 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:28 PM
pw2006
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Poorhousenext
Jeff,

Seems my headlights conveniently quit working last Thursday. My builder said he knew how to fix them. (He didn't know I had already seen what was in the front seat of his car hauler and sign in back seat.)

I said it shouldn't be a problem to fix my headlights, it was probably a leaking vacuum hose, You know those hoses are real bad to leak and not provide enough vacuum to roll the headlight buckets open.

Told him I would buy a kit as soon as he showed me that a vacuum hose or canister was bad on my stock C2 headlight system... He looked at me like I was crazy until I showed him his new kit replaced C2's vacuum system ...

DSE had not proof read their sign used at Hot Rod & Restoration show the week before. I wonder if the Government or one of their employees had anything to do with kit. You know how they fix things....

As they say in California,"Just messing with You...
Hmmm, that car looks familiar. They have the correct wording on their website (along with that cool car again):

This DSE Electric Headlight Door Kit replaces the stock electric actuated system on 1963-1967 Corvettes. When installed, this kit will operate the headlight doors more reliably and smoother.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:42 PM
RMBLROAR
Racer

Originally Posted by Hitch
Frank you are welcome to stop by the house and take a look at the kit.

I have the one that is in the car and then I bought a kit for my dad's car.

Hitch
My schedule is really busy this April. Let me know what's convenient with you and I'll try to work it in....

Thanks a bunch.....
Old 03-28-2013, 10:44 PM
1coolC2
Drifting

Originally Posted by pw2006
Hmmm, that car looks familiar. They have the correct wording on their website (along with that cool car again):

This DSE Electric Headlight Door Kit replaces the stock electric actuated system on 1963-1967 Corvettes. When installed, this kit will operate the headlight doors more reliably and smoother.
Ha ha, yup saw that when I was at Indy HRIA show. It was a misprint and was not caught in time to reprint for the show. Nice pic of my car though

R/
Jeff

Get notified of new replies

To Detroit Speed Installing Headlight Motors on my Car

Old 03-29-2013, 02:43 AM
RFJohnston
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...I will be very interested in how you all make out with your installs.

If you run into any issues, the DSE tech guys are great and will help out anyway they can.

R/
Jeff
Looking forward to it Jeff. UPS says mine are out for delivery in the morning! <---Note they are fast and synchronized.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:25 AM
biggd
Melting Slicks

Received 347 Likes on 211 Posts

Glad everything went well

I spoke with Chris today (the engineer I worked with at DSE). We spoke about the AC duct bracket and he stated the tech notched the controller mounting plate to provide additional clearance. Hitch installed it on is 67 factory AC car and it was tight but fit. For the 67 guys, our hood release is mounted to the dash cluster, the holes are still in the birdcage so you just need to stick some bolts in them to mount the box. Chris is going to add two bolts for future kits for 67 cars.

Matt, the tech that DSE had install the kit is a really sharp kid, but has no familarity with C2 Vettes so he was perfect to gauge the install for someone that has not performed much work on these things. If you have installed/removed these systems before the job goes much quicker as you know how/where all of the mounting scews and clips are located. I will be very interested in how you all make out with your installs.

R/
Jeff
Does the kit come with any kind of assembly guide with photos? I have no motors in mine and have never removed or installed them before so i'm flying blind. I'm a Mechanic by trade so i'm sure i'll figure it out but it's so much quicker with detailed instructions.
Also, I have no bumpers on my car so it's real easy to remove the grill. Can they be installed that way or do I have to take the hood off?

Last edited by biggd; 03-29-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:36 AM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by biggd
Does the kit come with any kind of assembly guide with photos? I have no motors in mine and have never removed or installed them before so i'm flying blind. I'm a Mechanic by trade so i'm sure i'll figure it out but it's so much quicker with detailed instructions.
Also, I have no bumpers on my car so it's real easy to remove the grill. Can they be installed that way or do I have to take the hood off?
If you have no bumper or grill in you can lay on the ground and see the motor locations. I just took the hood off when we were doing this project as it's only eight bolts and it's off and no chance of scratching the paint. While not necessary it just made life easier.

Hitch

Quick Reply: Detroit Speed Installing Headlight Motors on my Car