C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C2 Soft Top Frame Weatherstripping

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 11:04 PM
GreaseMonkey
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
PA Events Coordinator

Default C2 Soft Top Frame Weatherstripping

Do I put it on the frame before the top is installed?
Old 07-10-2011, 11:29 PM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Yes, after you align the frame over the side windows if I recall correctly. You can contact Hitch or Woodesign for some expert advice. Hitch just did his and I think Woodesign has done a bunch and always volunteers to help. Gotta love this place.

Don
Old 07-11-2011, 08:16 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

Only if you want to use them to help get the side glass aligned. You'll put them on after the top is installed.

Mike Coletta
Old 07-12-2011, 09:24 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by 61retro
Only if you want to use them to help get the side glass aligned. You'll put them on after the top is installed.

Mike Coletta
Not sure I understand your statement Mike?

The first step would include adjusting your windows to the hardtop then adjusting the soft top frame to the windows.

I have only done this once but what I saw is that if you have removed the frame and disassembled the frame it will be necessary to align the frame to the car. Then install the weather stripping for the window that includes the top of the window and the rear window w/s and make sure that the glass fits the weather stripping. If not you will need to adjust the frame up/down and/or front/back. Then if you still can't get the w/s to fit you may have to open up the w/s holes to get it all to fit. Just my experience.

Dave
Old 07-12-2011, 10:19 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I use them to check the window fit by just holding them in place and adjusting the frame, but I never actually install them until I have installed the top. Some of the flaps etc, go under the weatherstrip.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:25 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by wombvette
I use them to check the window fit by just holding them in place and adjusting the frame, but I never actually install them until I have installed the top. Some of the flaps etc, go under the weatherstrip.
Wayne you are right, as usual.. lol.. I installed mine to check the gaps and then removed them prior to installing the top...
Old 07-13-2011, 07:32 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

Dave,
I just read my post, and is confusing as usual
What I meant was what Wayne said:

I use them to check the window fit by just holding them in place and adjusting the frame, but I never actually install them until I have installed the top. Some of the flaps etc, go under the weatherstrip
Sorry about that!!

Mike Coletta
Old 07-13-2011, 08:47 PM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 350 Posts

If you want a nice tright fit then you should install all the w/s TIGHT when aligning the top frame. I have noticed a difference even when the w/s was instlled but not tight. It's your baby. Take your time and do it right. If you need help PM me.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:43 PM
Sc409
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C2 Weather Strip Replacement

This might be a redundant question, I want to replace my weather strip on my 66. The top is in very good condition, I live in San Diego and haven't put the top more than twice in 15 years.

Can I just remove the old weather strip and replace it while the top remains on the frame? The primary piece I need to replace is the rear piece, it has shrunk and is beginning to become brittle with spaces between the top frame and rear deck lid.

The plastic window is clear but has discoloration, I have tried a lot of products including using a DA polisher. I will create a post shortly on those efforts which have been a little disappointing.

Thanks for any suggestions installing the new strip with the top in place
Old 03-30-2013, 02:31 PM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 350 Posts

All the weatherstrip can be replaced with the canvas on the frame. Unfortunately for you the hardest one to replace it the rear latch bow.
If it was installed correctly by the last installer you can simply pull the plastic filler out them pull the old rubber off. Installing it can be tricky. I would get a new plastic filler when you purchase the new rear piece.
First make sure the groove is clean and as wide as it can be. Next lay the rubber w/s with the plasitc filler inserted over the groove. Squirt a little silicone (WD 40) on the rubber in the groove and press it in. I modify a flat blade screwdriver by filing a horizontal groove on the tip to help it fit on the plastic filler. Be careful, if you slip you risk putting a hole in your top.
I have never found any way of getting rid of a yellow rear window.

Last edited by woodsdesign; 03-30-2013 at 06:54 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:49 PM
Sc409
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks much for the advice, will ping you again as soon as I start. Thx again

Get notified of new replies

To C2 Soft Top Frame Weatherstripping

Quick Reply: C2 Soft Top Frame Weatherstripping