C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

67 restomod

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 10:16 AM
64corvettekid
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Fantastic build! you must been elated to finally get behind the wheel! Like the others have said everything looks perfect very appealing to the eyes. Come on spring!
The following users liked this post:
chgc267 (12-09-2017)
Old 12-09-2017, 11:52 AM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

I agree This Corvette is coming along great and is really looking great
chgc267 (12-09-2017)
Old 12-09-2017, 03:18 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Received 2,365 Likes on 1,034 Posts

absolutely stunning build!! I have been running a similar (Holly) self tuning ECU on an LS swap in my '72 Suburban for over 3 years/ 20K miles now. I can tell you that it will get better the more you drive it, particularly at part throttle. That being said, after you have 2-3K miles on it, I would definitely take it in to a shop with a dyno and a knowledgable tuner, and have it tweaked...especially given the ITB intake set up you're running. I've found that the "self tuning" ECUs are definitely a 90% solution. If you want to get the tune spot on, you're going to need a knowledgable tuner to go back in and tweak the curves after the ECU has had an opportunity to "learn".

Side note, any chance of getting some details on the modified factory seats? At 6'6, I've looked everywhere for a more supportive solution to the factory pieces, but have yet to find an aftermarket solution that doesn't reduce the available head/leg room.

Old 12-11-2017, 08:22 PM
Tom Austin
Melting Slicks

Received 1,962 Likes on 664 Posts

Originally Posted by chgc267
Here is the latest update...with pics! The first couple pics show what Mike & I designed to conceal all those fuel injector wires (pic in post #165)...It came out looking better than I thought...Nice and clean!! After looking at all the steering wheels out there (Momo, Nardi, Grant..and any other manufacturer I could find) I settled on a C3 wheel that was already wrapped in black leather w/ brush spokes ..it looks great! I think the look goes well with the rest of the car. You can also see the speedo and tach perfectly from the drivers point of view. Pictured is also a sneak preview of the one-off seats I am having made using the stock frames. There is still a little trimming, and I need also need to see how I fit, but they look great! The seats will be wrapped in the same black leather as the dash and coves. The insides of both seats will be perforated leather and have a pattern similar to '66 seats. I was asked by vjjack04 where the ECM was located...You can see in the 3rd picture the unit is where the radio would normally be. I believe mine is smaller than a LS ECM due to the intake I am using. The stereo/amps & Optima battery are located in the back under the decklid and the stereo will be controlled via blue tooth through my I phone.
Absolutely beautiful build! . . . I especially like the fuel injection set up - way cool! The only thing that looks slightly out of place is the shifter - too tall. It appears you're using the typical "Hurst" handle sold by many of the vendors for 5 speed transmissions? I have one of those in my '66 with a G-Force Street 5 speed and I modified the shifter to appear more like the original. What I did was clamp the rectangular bottom section in my vise, and using a hacksaw made a vertical cut upwards along the lower round section of the shifter (it's a solid billet piece) and created a "shoulder" the allows the shifter to sit on the shifter base (and the I simply cur off the rectangular bottom part and drilled new holes to bolt the shifter to the base). Here's a photo of what I ended up with:

Name:  L Bracket.jpg
Views: 996
Size:  353.9 KB
Old 12-11-2017, 09:22 PM
chgc267
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYNAVY30
absolutely stunning build!! I have been running a similar (Holly) self tuning ECU on an LS swap in my '72 Suburban for over 3 years/ 20K miles now. I can tell you that it will get better the more you drive it, particularly at part throttle. That being said, after you have 2-3K miles on it, I would definitely take it in to a shop with a dyno and a knowledgable tuner, and have it tweaked...especially given the ITB intake set up you're running. I've found that the "self tuning" ECUs are definitely a 90% solution. If you want to get the tune spot on, you're going to need a knowledgable tuner to go back in and tweak the curves after the ECU has had an opportunity to "learn".

Side note, any chance of getting some details on the modified factory seats? At 6'6, I've looked everywhere for a more supportive solution to the factory pieces, but have yet to find an aftermarket solution that doesn't reduce the available head/leg room.

You are spot on with the part throttle assessment..That's exactly where it felt rough...Great to know, I feel more at ease..Thanks! Waiting for 2-3k miles might take me a while however...hopefully mine has a quick learning curve.

I had to grab the seat from the upholstery shop and bring it back over to the shop. We had to fill in the holes and make new ones after I ditched those c5 seats and went back to the stock frames. I'm actually driving on that seat in the recent pics. I didn't adjust the seat when I got in it though and it was only a couple trips up and down the block.. I'm also not sure if it was all the way back. I did have leg room and I had a great view right over the dash. It it goes further back that will be a bonus. The back and sides felt great on the seat. The thigh bolsters may need to be trimmed a tad. I'll probably have to test fit a few times before we go w/ a final. The car should be ready shortly for the interior to be completed.

Originally Posted by Tom Austin
Absolutely beautiful build! . . . I especially like the fuel injection set up - way cool! The only thing that looks slightly out of place is the shifter - too tall. It appears you're using the typical "Hurst" handle sold by many of the vendors for 5 speed transmissions? I have one of those in my '66 with a G-Force Street 5 speed and I modified the shifter to appear more like the original. What I did was clamp the rectangular bottom section in my vise, and using a hacksaw made a vertical cut upwards along the lower round section of the shifter (it's a solid billet piece) and created a "shoulder" the allows the shifter to sit on the shifter base (and the I simply cur off the rectangular bottom part and drilled new holes to bolt the shifter to the base). Here's a photo of what I ended up with:

Attachment 48234318
Thank you! And yes.....That's the shifter I'm using..and that's exactly the conversation Mike & I had when I brought it to him...Damn...you're right! It is too tall! We do have a shorter one that came w/ the trans but it's not round like this one...it has the small white **** in previous pics. That one is a perfect height..I may switch back & I'll pass your tip a long too. Thanks!
Old 03-15-2018, 02:25 AM
chgc267
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default update 3/15

Here is the latest update. We replaced all the weatherstripping in the doors because the rubber was too hard and the doors were not closing properly.. i found weatherstripping that was made in the USA to replace the imported brand. When you looked at both sets they looked similar... but the American made was much softer. The doors close easier and line up much better....so much so that the convertible top didn't line up and i replaced all that weatherstripping as well. The last of the weatherstripping was put in under the hood and we literally just took off the tape that was holding it in place while it dried before I snapped these pics...you can see the hood raised up slightly in the cowl area if you look closely enough... that "should" settle in place after it gets a chance to compress..otherwise more adjusting. Other minor adjustments include the headlight buckets, exhaust pipe on the drivers side needs to be centered and the speedometer needed to be programmed. It will be off to the upholstery shop in the next week or so then on to the finish line! I really like this color too. It looks almost silver in some angles and blue in others depending how the light is hitting it (sun vs florescent). I took most of these pictures this past Saturday...The engine shots are from a few weeks ago.
Attached Images          

Last edited by chgc267; 03-15-2018 at 02:27 AM.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:14 AM
62vetteuk
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

she's a beauty love the rocker covers

Last edited by 62vetteuk; 03-15-2018 at 04:16 AM.
chgc267 (03-15-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 07:55 AM
Robert61
Safety Car

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Love it! I'm sure you are very proud finally getting to this point. Attention to every detail. Right now we are filling sanding filling sanding everyday. This is great inspiration.
chgc267 (03-15-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 08:23 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

Hers a option for the top
Attached Images  
chgc267 (03-15-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 10:04 AM
NightshiftHD
Drifting

Received 339 Likes on 255 Posts

Absolutely stunning! Elkhart blue & black stinger is my #1 choice for a 67. Love the stance. And the LED 3rd brake light instead of a reverse light is excellent. Well done.

I agree with you the US made weatherstrips are a lot softer. Bill
chgc267 (03-15-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 10:22 AM
rick piras
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Beautiful car! I apologize if you've already talked about the stainless or chrome trim around the exhaust tips and I've overlooked it, but it appears you had to make oversized trim pieces to cover the larger than stock exhaust? If so, did you happen to have an extra set made that you might want to sell? I ended up going for larger exhaust through the whole system rather than squeezing down to 2" tips at the end, but that meant having to delete the rear valence trim pieces.
Thanks,
Rick
chgc267 (03-15-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 02:15 PM
rick piras
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Please disregard previous question. I re-read the full story again and found the pictures on the exhaust tips. Those look amazing, and from the pictures there must've bee a LOT of hours to reproduce those compound curves! Fantastic overall build!
chgc267 (03-15-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 06:05 PM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 350 Posts

Very nice build. I really like the larger bolt ons. Where did you pick those up? What is the size?

Last edited by woodsdesign; 03-15-2018 at 06:07 PM.
chgc267 (03-15-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 06:16 PM
chgc267
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Robert61
Love it! I'm sure you are very proud finally getting to this point. Attention to every detail. Right now we are filling sanding filling sanding everyday. This is great inspiration.
Thank you Robert! You have no idea how many nights I spent researching and mulling over the details!!

Originally Posted by NightshiftHD
Absolutely stunning! Elkhart blue & black stinger is my #1 choice for a 67. Love the stance. And the LED 3rd brake light instead of a reverse light is excellent. Well done.

I agree with you the US made weatherstrips are a lot softer. Bill
Thanks Bill! That 3rd brake light was made to fit in the stock location. We made a mold of the inside and went through at least 12 different shades of Plexiglas before we found the right shade to match the taillights. The Plexiglas was also shaped to curve w/ the contours of the body. Initially it was going to be flush but it looks better slightly recessed with a small lip around the edge.

Originally Posted by rick piras
Please disregard previous question. I re-read the full story again and found the pictures on the exhaust tips. Those look amazing, and from the pictures there must've bee a LOT of hours to reproduce those compound curves! Fantastic overall build!
Thanks Rick! Yes those trim pieces were custom made from 304 Stainless and polished. I'm sure it took a lot of time to make...I don't want to know how many hours..I'm just glad I don't have to keep writing checks much longer and finally get to enjoy this thing!!
Old 03-15-2018, 06:28 PM
chgc267
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by woodsdesign
Very nice build. I really like the larger bolt ons. Where did you pick those up? What is the size?
Thank you! The wheels are the "Turbine" edition from EVOD. They are 18"x 9" (6.75" backspace) up front & 18"x 10" (7.75" backspace) in the rear. I had EVOD customize the wheels from how they are shown on their web site. The spokes were all machined smooth and brushed finished (they come rounded and polished). I had them blasted on the inside to add texture, painted them black inside the spokes and inside of the rim too. The Center caps were also custom made for me (they offer a center cap similar to the 63-66 which come with the wheels). I initially had them engrave the flags in the center of the caps but it looked too plain to me. I sent the centers caps back and had them cut a hole in the middle. I was able to use the cross flags that you find on the horn button or other center caps I've seen on line. This saved me $$ because I was ready to do them all over again and it came out great! I purposely did not want to use "Chevrolet" or the bow-tie logo anywhere on the car...Only the cross flags or "Corvette" logos.

Last edited by chgc267; 03-15-2018 at 10:55 PM.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:23 PM
chgc267
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Finally dropped the car off last Friday to get the interior finished! Here are a few pics as it comes of the transporter. I held my breath as the car was being backed out of the trailer. The only thing I could think of is "Please don't let that clutch slip as you back that up!" First picture w/ the hood on out in the sun too..Looks great!!
Attached Images     
The following 3 users liked this post by chgc267:
ptjsk (03-26-2018), RJ1 (03-26-2018), vjjack04 (03-28-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 04:41 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 203 Posts

The best stock appearing restomod I have seen yet! How does it run with the stack injection?
chgc267 (03-28-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To 67 restomod

Old 03-28-2018, 06:23 PM
chgc267
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 65silververt
The best stock appearing restomod I have seen yet! How does it run with the stack injection?
Thanks!! I really haven't had a chance to drive it except for a few test runs around the industrial park. I have one of those self learning computers and, from what I've been told, I'll need to drive it so it can learn. The car probably has only 5-10 miles on it thus far. When I did get a chance to drive it, it really moved at WOT! However when I let off the gas to drive at a steady speed it ran a little on the rough side. This is where I was told, as well as from FLYNAVY30 in a previous post, where I'll see steady improvements every time I drive it. Fingers crossed!!
Old 03-31-2018, 02:00 PM
34andy
Big Block Junkie
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amazing Build! Thanks for sharing a top quality design and execution.

What was your final tire size selection?

Are the tires Diamondback redlines?

-Andy
chgc267 (04-01-2018)
Old 03-31-2018, 10:43 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Received 952 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by chgc267
Thanks!! I really haven't had a chance to drive it except for a few test runs around the industrial park. I have one of those self learning computers and, from what I've been told, I'll need to drive it so it can learn. The car probably has only 5-10 miles on it thus far. When I did get a chance to drive it, it really moved at WOT! However when I let off the gas to drive at a steady speed it ran a little on the rough side. This is where I was told, as well as from FLYNAVY30 in a previous post, where I'll see steady improvements every time I drive it. Fingers crossed!!
Nice car.
chgc267 (04-01-2018)

Quick Reply: 67 restomod