C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

oil pan removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 07:19 PM
1Redctoo
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default oil pan removal

327/300 is now back in the car but ...........the oil pan is leaking at the front seal. I tightened all the bolts again but to no avail .
Did a search here and read about dropping the pan while its in the car then measuring the radius of the front seal area .
Sounded like a great idea so off to the car I went .
Jacked it up started to take the steering apart to swing it out of the way . 4 hours later , I still cant get a couple of the rods apart .
My question now is , can I drop the pan with the steering linkage in place ? After prying and pounding I don't want to break anything !
Think I'll go have a cold one and wait for good news from you guys
Old 04-08-2013, 07:30 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Redctoo
327/300 is now back in the car but ...........the oil pan is leaking at the front seal. I tightened all the bolts again but to no avail .
Did a search here and read about dropping the pan while its in the car then measuring the radius of the front seal area .
Sounded like a great idea so off to the car I went .
Jacked it up started to take the steering apart to swing it out of the way . 4 hours later , I still cant get a couple of the rods apart .
My question now is , can I drop the pan with the steering linkage in place ? After prying and pounding I don't want to break anything !
Think I'll go have a cold one and wait for good news from you guys
Get the correct 'pickle fork' and BFH...and wale on it..it will pop right off..

Next get a "ONE PIECE FELPRO" gasket...

Make sure its the 'thick' front seal one..
Old 04-08-2013, 07:32 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,328 Likes on 960 Posts

Default Oil pan

Your going to hate yourself, just remove the two idler arm bolts from the frame and push the linkage forward. That should give you enough room to remove the oil pan. Jerry
Old 04-08-2013, 08:02 PM
1Redctoo
Pro

Jerry - Are you talking about the idler arm on the passenger side where it bolts to the frame (2 bolts) ?
The cold one was refreshing and I'm reset for awhile . Think I'll call it a day and have some dinner .

I was wondering about the FelPro one piece gasket , sounds like it's good as long as i get the right one .
Old 04-08-2013, 08:08 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Tampa Jerry
Your going to hate yourself, just remove the two idler arm bolts from the frame and push the linkage forward. That should give you enough room to remove the oil pan. Jerry
good call....
Old 04-08-2013, 08:29 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Redctoo
Jerry - Are you talking about the idler arm on the passenger side where it bolts to the frame (2 bolts) ?
The cold one was refreshing and I'm reset for awhile . Think I'll call it a day and have some dinner .

I was wondering about the FelPro one piece gasket , sounds like it's good as long as i get the right one .
Yes he is. With the idler arm loose from the frame you can deflect the whole assembly down far enough to clear the pan.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:50 PM
66since71
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good tips on the idler arm.... Two bolts and suddenly lots of clearance.

Be sure the leak is not the balancer seal on the timing cover. It's hard to see the oil traces, but the surface will be wet above the pan seal up to the balancer seal.

Harry
Old 04-09-2013, 01:06 AM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Tampa Jerry
It isn't quite that easy.

You have to turn both front wheels out so the link drops down. If you have too much weight on the front tires, like on ramps, sometimes you can't get it.

Jack it up slightly, pull on the centerlink down, and have someone turn the wheels by hand so the front is out.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:35 AM
outlaw67
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also need to replace my rear main seal on my 67 327 and may go for the one peice seal , after reading this thread , http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...t-problem.html
I am trying to understand why there are to different thicknesses listed for the front and rear seal , why where the pans changed and which one do I have , Felpro listing is
# 0S 34509T for small Front & Rear and # OS 34510T for the larger F & R and some guy's are saying it should be # 1885 or you could use Miloden # MIL- 41000 or Corteco # 16635 , do I need to measure the hight of the curve in the pan.
more reading here http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...-steering.html
Old 04-09-2013, 01:25 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by outlaw67
I also need to replace my rear main seal on my 67 327 and may go for the one peice seal , after reading this thread , http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...t-problem.html
I am trying to understand why there are to different thicknesses listed for the front and rear seal , why where the pans changed and which one do I have , Felpro listing is
# 0S 34509T for small Front & Rear and # OS 34510T for the larger F & R and some guy's are saying it should be # 1885 or you could use Miloden # MIL- 41000 or Corteco # 16635 , do I need to measure the hight of the curve in the pan.
more reading here http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...-steering.html
Measure the front seal radius without the pan gasket in place (2-1/4" or 2-3/8") and that will tell you which gasket you need.

All SB's through 1974 had the 2-1/4" seal radius with an 0.22"-thick front seal; it changed to 2-3/8" in 1975, with an 0.41"-thick front seal. The larger front seal radius and "thick" front seal also applied to all GM Service replacement pans manufactured after 1975, regardless of their application - they came with a "thick" front seal in the box with the pan.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:23 PM
1Redctoo
Pro

pulled the bolts from the idler arm and the linkage dropped down out of the way perfectly ! Great idea . Dropped the pan and measured it at 2 3/8 . Went and got the thick felpro gasket kit and got it installed.
Will put oil in it tomorrow morning and see what happens .
Thanks to everyone for all the help .
Old 04-12-2013, 05:35 PM
1Redctoo
Pro

I've been driving the car the last couple of days and NO oil leaks form the engine !!! One small one from the rear of the tranny but I can live with that .
This engine has been in and out of the car 4 times in the last 3 yrs because of heating problems and now its running great and not heating up and not leaking . Gonna take it to our Corvette Club (slovettes) this evening and show her off .
What a great Anniversary present , 41 years today with my wife and the mistress (the car)

Thanks again for ALL the help and advice throughout the years .
The following users liked this post:
Chalie M (11-12-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To oil pan removal

Quick Reply: oil pan removal