C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Is Drilling Holes In Your Mufflers Same As Putting Needles In Your Eyes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 10:55 AM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Default Is Drilling Holes In Your Mufflers Same As Putting Needles In Your Eyes?

A curious thing.
Very curious.
After engine idles for about 15-20 minutes, small wisps of white bapor begin emanating from the pipes. I stick my nose next to the pipes and deeply inhale the fragrant bapors issuing therefrom. The odor is so, so sweet, and it reminds me of the small of napalm in the morning. It brings back fond memories of the good war in SE Asia so long ago, as well as killing gooks.
The smell is not sweet, in the true sense of the word, however; nor is it odiforous. That is to say that it does not smell like antifreeze. No, not coolant but a blandness in that regard and simply the pleasant smell of a pre-emissions exhaust carrying the faint smell of gasoline in proper proportions.
The exhaust temp is rather cool, and so coupled with the forgoing, I wonder if drilling drain holes in the pipes is warranted. I may also park the car on a 45 degree decline to drain them, rather than drill small drain holes which will very rapidly expand to dime size.
What say you, my arch conservative, murrican, freedom loving brethren.
God bless.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:20 AM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Haven't thought of the sweet smell of napalm in 40+ years but think I would opt for your 45 degree drainage option rather than drilling drain holes. I think they would tend to enlarge over time!
Old 04-20-2013, 11:21 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Run the car enough to clear out the condensation or put stainless steel exhausts on.

I wouldn't drill any holes...the potential to suck noxious fumes into the cockpit through strange holes (and I know something about strange holes), although not as bad as napalm, can get quite nauseating.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 04-20-2013 at 11:23 AM.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:51 AM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Wow - reminds me of how I feel with a hangover and that first Bloody Mary hits my mouth...............

My turbo style mufflers have drain holes from the factory, at the lower "front" side of the end caps, which is inclined maybe 30* or less towards the ground just from the way the exhaust system sits in the car.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:59 AM
TC233
CF Senior Fox Bat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 616 Likes on 359 Posts

I had the same sort of issue with a different car (Mustang) I drilled two holes then brazed a washer around the hole so it would not spread. It was a waste of time. Mufflers still rotted out, still had to replace them and the new ones had same issue
Old 04-20-2013, 12:08 PM
ErminewhiteC2
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Back in the early '80s I worked at a amuffler shop. We were instructed to take a small phillips head screwdiver and pound a hole in the muffler at the lowest point of the end plate of the muffler outlet.
Rick
Old 04-20-2013, 12:44 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Many OEM mufflers in the 60's had a 3/32" hole at the lowest point of the muffler in the installed position to drain the condensate. The original passenger side muffler on '65-'67 midyears was stainless steel (inside the aluminized wrap), but even that didn't help much.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:59 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Many OEM mufflers in the 60's had a 3/32" hole at the lowest point of the muffler in the installed position to drain the condensate. The original passenger side muffler on '65-'67 midyears was stainless steel (inside the aluminized wrap), but even that didn't help much.
John
why only the passenger side? because it has the heat riser valve?
Bill
Old 04-20-2013, 02:47 PM
6T7L71CPE
Melting Slicks

Received 382 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by ErminewhiteC2
Back in the early '80s I worked at a amuffler shop. We were instructed to take a small phillips head screwdiver and pound a hole in the muffler at the lowest point of the end plate of the muffler outlet.
Rick
I recall a local Midas shop doing this. Probably better for the mufflers and engine to be hot enough to burn off the moisture. I had my Dad start my TR6 occasionally while I was stationed in Germany for 2 years. The new, before I left, Abarth exhaust system completely fell apart shortly after I started using the car after I got back.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:50 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Run the car enough to clear out the condensation or put stainless steel exhausts on.

I wouldn't drill any holes...the potential to suck noxious fumes into the cockpit through strange holes (and I know something about strange holes), although not as bad as napalm, can get quite nauseating.
Oh no. Poop chutes!
Yes, they can become nauseating.
Are you a proctologist, or just happy to see me?
During the last POTUS campaign, there was talk about "santorum" as applies to something rather foul, odiforous and slimey(sp). I know how to spell "slimy" but thought it was more fun to add the "e" as in "Limey". If you never heard of "santorum", then remember that "Google is your friend" like the 'ole perfessor "Poindexter" likes to say, but no longer says on this particular Forum on account of that he was not obeyed and followed as the pied piper of hamelin, or a "group" of lemmings since lemmings are solitary creatures and there is no proper name for a "group" of lemmings, like, herd, pack, flock, pride, pod, etc etc. Stephen Colbert (g_d dang his soul to hell that lefty pinko commie bA#t$rd, how dare he poke fun at my heroes on FOX noise and all of the proud murrican freedom lovin gun totin bible thumpin tee pottyers and hard right publicans)..........yes, I'll say his dang name agin, Steven Colbear made murrica aware of what santorum is. Look it up same way we all look up papa bill o's "word for duh day").

Pardon me, I digest............I mean digress. The poypes are aluminized because the harmonics are better sounding and more "original" (or so I heard) sounding than stainless. So, maybe I SHOULD drill holes. What say you. Can I retard the timing to heat up the exhaust poypes? Right now it's 20 degrees advanced at idle, and 37 all in by 2200.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:54 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Originally Posted by wmf62
John
Bill
Naturally.
That's why I was thinking of putting 2 heat risers on my engine.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:57 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JohnZ
I've seen those! They would spit in my eye from time to time, especially when looking at a mid seventies car under lean misfire. Although the pipes reached warp temperatures with those EGR/lean burn engines, the poypes were long, and the mufflers had a huge list firward on them so they probably held a galloon of water. They never made leak noises though. They were strategically located.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:48 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

John
Bill
Yup - In many cases, the RH muffler didn't get as hot as the LH (especially in short-trip local driving), and required additional corrosion protection; but they still failed before the LH side.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:18 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Had a friend in HS who figured it was a good idea to shove the garden hose up the tailpipes of his dad's '62 Impala in order to rust out the muffler and get a better "sound" .
Old 04-20-2013, 06:05 PM
cor66vette
Le Mans Master

Received 1,308 Likes on 690 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

People hold onto the past because something in their past made them really happy or something from their past is still making them miserable.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:18 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by 65tripleblack
Naturally.
That's why I was thinking of putting 2 heat risers on my engine.
no, what you want to do is install the FI spacer in the pass side.
Bill
Old 04-20-2013, 10:03 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Originally Posted by cor66vette
People hold onto the past because something in their past made them really happy or something from their past is still making them miserable.
You're trying to say something. You'll feel much better if you let it out.

Get notified of new replies

To Is Drilling Holes In Your Mufflers Same As Putting Needles In Your Eyes?

Old 04-20-2013, 10:03 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

no, what you want to do is install the FI spacer in the pass side.
Bill
Thanks Bill.
I was thinking that putting heat risers on both sides would make both mufelers get hot.

Last edited by 65tripleblack; 04-20-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:08 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RatDog
Had a friend in HS who figured it was a good idea to shove the garden hose up the tailpipes of his dad's '62 Impala in order to rust out the muffler and get a better "sound" .
Maybe alcohol or DryGas to absorb all the water. Should work, right.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:17 PM
TheGanzman
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread is like a bad Kubla Khan dream...

Quick Reply: Is Drilling Holes In Your Mufflers Same As Putting Needles In Your Eyes?